Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

New Lens or new camera.

Hi,

I have a K100D with the kit lens and also a Quantaray 70-300mm f1:4-5.6

I usually shoot family functions, vacations (zoo, museums etc.) and sometimes landscapes. I enjoy shooting my pets and also portraits.

I have $200-300 to spend on a new lens, I'm thinking something fast for low light and indoors. What would you all recommend? I'm ok with used as well.

Thanks
Ian

ps given the Lens I have, would upgrading to a K-x get me much? That may be a possibility too.

12-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K100D is a smashing camera. I would say in your situation, you'd be better off spending your money on the FA 50mm f/1.4 in particular, than upgrading to the K-x. The high ISO is great, but the sheer enjoyment of a low-light lens will not only make up for the difference, but inspire you to take more pictures.
12-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kinsale Quote
I have a K100D with the kit lens and also a Quantaray 70-300mm f1:4-5.6
You and I have very similar equipment with very similar interests. I'm pretty certain my next lens will be a fast 50mm. Somewhere in the f/1.4 to 1.7 range.

Your budget is a bit more generous than mine, you shouldn't have too much problem finding a decent used F- or FA-50mm with auto-focus.

However for someone who's a bit more strapped for cash like me, I'm also looking at the legacy lenses either the M-series (manual aperture & focus) or the A-series (auto aperture/manual focus). Both can be had for $150 or less, sometimes $100 or less. The reviews are good for both.

In my search for a fast 50 this weekend, I 'accidentally' picked up a FA-28mm f/2.8 for a good price. It's now the fastest lens I own and the difference has been pretty dramatic. I can only imagine what a f/1.4 lens can do.
12-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

buying better glass is almost always the best investment. That was why I opted for a K20D rather than the K7 at release. It allowed me to buy much better glass. And the primes were one of the main reasons I moved to Pentax.

You might also hunt for a used DA 16-45 (very often under $300) which is a nice lens though nowhere near as fast as the 50/1.4. The 50/1.4 looks to be really nice as well. Also a used DA 40ltd can sometimes be had near to $300...not as fast as the 1.4 but still a nice lens. But not known anything about the K100D hard to offer more than the sort of shotgun approach...

I can say my thinking if you were considering the K-x, it's a really nice entry level camera that happens to offer nice high ISO performance but if buying it means you will still have to use the same lens, it sort of will force you to shoot well above 1600 almost all the time indoors given the speed of your 70-300. That's why I am usually in the buy better glass camp.

Heck, if you can save a few months longer there is always the 43ltd or even the 35ltd. Though I doubt you will go wrong with that 50/1.4. I only mention the 35ltd because it's a lot wider, though slower, than the 50mm and might serve you better indoors at those museums and such. Plus it's also a macro which means you will never not have something to shoot, even on those NE winters when it's too cold to even look out the window!! hehehe...hey I am from Cali so 65F is cold to me!!

12-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for their helpful comments. I guess the vote is firmly in favor of new glass! I'm secretly pleased as I do like my K100.

I am leaning towards a fast prime. I actually don't mind manual focusing, however I'm not sure I can shoot in full manual mode yet.
12-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #6

just wanted to say that my advice is invest in glass. I've been concidering upgrading my K200D to a K-x, but I've now decided to spend my money on a 70mm ltd instead. I was browsing my iphoto library and realized that the photos taken with my 35mm ltd were excellent and that a better camera really couldn't offer me much. I therefore decided that my money would be much better spent on a 70mm ltd instead. Lenses can be used for years and years if well looked after, while cameras will often get replaced. I therefore realized that my money would be much better spent on the 70mm ltd. I've now decided that I won't upgrade my camera until I have acquired all the DA ltd lenses. My K200D provides excellent images when paired with a good lens.

Go for new glass. I'm sure you'll be much happier with that as a choice.
12-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks to all for their helpful comments. I guess the vote is firmly in favor of new glass! I'm secretly pleased as I do like my K100.

I am leaning towards a fast prime. I actually don't mind manual focusing, however I'm not sure I can shoot in full manual mode yet.
The Pentax-A 50/1.4 is a good alternative in that case, and less than half the price of the FA 50/1.4.
12-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

great choice...really. I used to not understand how much of a difference faster glass makes, I actually ordered my lenses w/o ever trying them and only selected them based on images and some of the tech details. So, I know how ya feel...but the difference will be noticeable from shot one!

Anymore 2.8 seems the upper end of my comfort zone though in some cases I "suppose..." I could live with f4... Something to remember about faster glass it almost always means higher quality glass (as in the actually glass used for the elements) and usually a design to take advantage of the speed. This is one of the reasons people can use what they know to take advantage of the capabilities in a given lens.

As for full manual lenses....sure ya can...remember this is not film we are using anymore. That means you can just sit in your laz-e-boy and snap away playing with settings to learn to sense the exposure and relationships between the settings. I bet 50% of my shots are taking doing just that...if you can learn this you will save yourself a fair amount on the cost of entry into faster primes because you can even go down to 42 screw mounts...think a nice 50/1.2 or even a Cosina 1.2 (in any of it's flavors)...here is a thread for the 1.2 lenses in general:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74819-post-you...31-2-only.html

There is also a thread dedicated to the Cosina but I don't have it in my subscription list...just search...

If you feel you might want something longer look into the Samyang 85/1.4 as well...it looks to be a really nice option to a 77ltd. The lense is sold under several brand names as well but I am not sure if there is a difference or not...

I would say, look at the number of aperture blades...I have found I prefer 9 over 8 but 8 blades usually results in really nice background when shooting at the faster speeds. But the number of blades is only an indication of potential not of what things look like in practice. so always check out shots others take with a given lense to see if it looks to match your preferences.

One more suggestion...to help ya get a feel for "all-in" manual, look into a book on exposure. I like "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson...I took away a lot of new info and relearned a bunch I forgot over time away from this hobby. Not expensive either...if you find you like an author look for additional titles from that same author. Sine I like Peterson I also bought several additional titles he offers. Just shop Amazon and read here for book reviews or suggestions. To me the books are as important as the new glass. I started liking my shots a LOT more after working through some of these books!

Looking forward to seeing shots from whatever lense you decide to go with...

12-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
You know you are right about it not being film. I was at my in laws yesterday for Christmas and I was trying my new flash. It was great fun bouncing the flash in different ways and seeing the instant results.
I will try shooting in manual more and experiment. I have a lead on a A f1.4 lens so hopefully I'll have a fast lens to play with soon.
12-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Novocain Quote
However for someone who's a bit more strapped for cash like me, I'm also looking at the legacy lenses either the M-series (manual aperture & focus) or the A-series (auto aperture/manual focus). Both can be had for $150 or less, sometimes $100 or less. The reviews are good for both.
Ah -- well, if you're not afraid of focusing manually, those A&M series K-mounts are excellent. If you want to really make your dollar stretch, you could get even more excellent screwmount lenses for that amount. I highly recommend the Helios 44-2 (58mm f2 Russian lens). Beautifully sharp and can usually be had for around $20-30.
12-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi, there's an A 50/1.4 in this forum's marketplace for $145:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/84391-sale-pe...m-f-1-4-a.html
I like mine very much and would highly recommend it.

gl
12-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
Hi, there's an A 50/1.4 in this forum's marketplace for $145:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/84391-sale-pe...m-f-1-4-a.html
I like mine very much and would highly recommend it.

gl
I had just jumped on this when you posted!
12-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If for some reason the 50/1.4 does not come your way, take a look at the A 50/1.7. Its much less expensive and probably just as good. Quite a number of some very knowledgeable folks over at Steve's like the 1.7 a tad better than the 1.4

Pentax SMC-A-50mm f1.7 vs FA 50mm f1.4 - Steve's Digicams Forums

I came across a A 50/1.7 a while ago for a song and it does a fine job on my K100.

Just a thought...
12-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I had just jumped on this when you posted!
Well good luck with it. Post some photos!
12-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

New lens... always.

Sorry if this is too late, but if its not, I`d recommend going for new glass.
Might a used Sigma 30 1:1.4 do it for you?