Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #1

Lens Advice

Hi again !
well i have just a question, i now own a k10d with the kits and my question is if it would be a good idea to try to get a better lens for shooting sports outdoors, mainly longboard and skateboard. I'm wondering because I might be shooting a local event in august ( longboard ). well thanx for ur help once again.

And visit .: umeň longboard association :. if u want

bye !!

06-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeGoGubbe Quote
Hi again !
well i have just a question, i now own a k10d with the kits and my question is if it would be a good idea to try to get a better lens for shooting sports outdoors, mainly longboard and skateboard. I'm wondering because I might be shooting a local event in august ( longboard ). well thanx for ur help once again.

And visit .: umeň longboard association :. if u want

bye !!
Well the obvious answer would be the new 50-135 f2.8 SDM, maily because of the fast focusing SDM. Of course nothing indicates that u will be able to get one of those by august.... I am thinking outdoors you dont need that fast max aperature but fast focus is still important. Too bad longer lenses for sports is where the pentax system is currently lacking the most. Maybe a Sigma 70-200 f2.8? it depends on how close you will be able to get to your subjects really
06-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
wow , that was a quick answer , now a SDM would be niiice,but they are kinda out of my budget right now. well how close, i can be as close as 1-2meters from the action but i'll be changing my position a lot i think . Or maybe I'll just stick with the 50-200.. actually do anybody knows if pentax will manufacture more SDM ? like 12-24 for instance? well thx again!!
06-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

oh, 1-2 meeters thats close. I really like the idea of the 10-17 fisheye and that effect seems to be popular when it comes to skating.... Not good for observed action shots thogh more like posed ones. Yeah the 50-200 seems not bad, and since its outdoors the aperature is not a problem you would probably want to bump the aperature to give you some more slack when it comes to hitting the focus correctly anyway. I think the 16-45 seems like a good buy, seems sharp and I have seen it go for quite low prices.

If you are doing an event then testing and practice is in order, go find a busy skating ramp and give your lenses a run for their money and then you will soon realize if you need something new or not

06-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
sft

go for the DA16-45 for WA - the fisheye usually works well for skating as someone else mentioned (I used to skate a lot - well I can still do basic tricks like kickflips and basic grinds,etc. ) - also if you need the reach the DA50-200 would be good. Another good option that would be versatile without you needing to change lenses as often would be the Sigma 17-70 which gives a little more reach. An 18-200 would be versatile all around and will be fine in daylight also - just bump ISO to 200/400 if you need. Unfortunately, as with any manufacturer - fast glass will cost you!
06-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
oohh , okej .. maybe i should point that the event is only longboard like this http://longboard.slak.nu/gallery2/d/78332-2/PICT0633.JPG but on a shorter track ahh and probably a lot of sunlight since its summer . and yepp need a little training
thanx again for the time!!
06-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
sft

Right - sorry you said longboard

Yeah id skip the 10-17 fisheye then. Go for the 16-45, 50-200 combo IMO. An 18-200 would be versatile and you wont have to change lenses as often but at just 1-2 meters away the more WA the better I guess so 16 over 18 would probably be better.
06-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the opinions you've been suggested are all good but you may also want to consider a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG. Very fast and on a digital it represents a 36-105mm lens. Sharp as a tack as well. It should almost eliminate lens changes with a decent range.

You could also consider the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro. It's not quite the same quality or speed throughout the zoom range but should cost a little less.

06-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
aahh ! i just had a revelation! anyway if i don't have the money for an extra lens i'll be using my gear, but a friend of mine bought my ist DS .. so i could borrow it and use the 2 cams,that would eliminate the lens changing

sft: i still can do ollies,kickflips and maybe some more easy stuff ...and that would be about it ..too old and heavy now :P hahaha

once again thx

pentax is the siht !
06-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I think the opinions you've been suggested are all good but you may also want to consider a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG. Very fast and on a digital it represents a 36-105mm lens. Sharp as a tack as well. It should almost eliminate lens changes with a decent range.

You could also consider the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro. It's not quite the same quality or speed throughout the zoom range but should cost a little less.
I heard the sigma 18-50 f2.8 is not bad. Also the tamron 28-70 seems good. I dont know about the sigma 24-70, but I have the sigma 28-70 f2.8 and it is dreadfull.