Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Pentax-F 1:1.7 50mm vs. SMC Takumar 1:2 55mm

Hey everyone!

I completed the second installment in my Normal Lens Shootout. (The first was announced here.)

I matched up my Pentax-F 50/1.7 against the screw mount SMC Takumar 55/2...follow this link to read more about it.

Enjoy!
Sean

06-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sean, these 2 sets of comparisons are really detailed and calculated. Well controlled comparison! That must take a lot of time to do so. Thanks for the effort to do so.

To add to A 50mm f1.2 in the first comparison, the price tag of US400 dollars is really cheap for what it can do. The only available lens of similar aperture in the same focal length would be canon EF 50 f1.2 which costs about US2000 dollar brand new. AF is really not that important when aperture f1.2 is used (the DOF is so narrow, whether a subject is in focus or not is really not an issue unless the subject is plain flat object)
06-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
To add to A 50mm f1.2 in the first comparison, the price tag of US400 dollars is really cheap for what it can do. The only available lens of similar aperture in the same focal length would be canon EF 50 f1.2 which costs about US2000 dollar brand new. AF is really not that important when aperture f1.2 is used (the DOF is so narrow, whether a subject is in focus or not is really not an issue unless the subject is plain flat object)
I can't agree at all.

The EF50/1.2L is another animal. It has very good contrast and resolution also wide open. The AF works just fine and as soon as you are at a distance you can benefit from the AF, as when shooting in the streets or whenever.

The price is not USD 2000 but rather USD 1300 and it is weather shielded. It is still ridiculous expensive but you get a new lens for the price, not a used one with no warranty.

Also; there are several 50/1.2 lenses out there. As you mention a lens we can't mount to the Pentax cameras it would be fair to mention Zuiko 50/1.2, Zuiko 55/1.2 and the Nikkor versions as well. They are all performing pretty similar to the A50/1.2 and can be bought for less than USD 400.

[/nitpicking mode]
06-17-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Hey everyone!

I matched up my Pentax-F 50/1.7 against the screw mount SMC Takumar 55/2...

Enjoy!
Yes, Hi again,

And Thanks! again.

Now I got a bit surprised. My tip would still hold but I din't think the Takumar 55/2 was that good when compared.

I hope you have the time and determination to make all this to the final!

06-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I can't agree at all.

The EF50/1.2L is another animal. It has very good contrast and resolution also wide open. The AF works just fine and as soon as you are at a distance you can benefit from the AF, as when shooting in the streets or whenever.
That would be operator dependent. In my clumpsy hands, my shots turned out to be soft ... well, they were mainly shot in the cafe near my place on the cakes and waitresses ...

The price is not USD 2000 but rather USD 1300 and it is weather shielded. It is still ridiculous expensive but you get a new lens for the price, not a used one with no warranty.
Oops, I bought it in Melbourne here and it costs me AU 2200 dollars or so brand new... I did not contact any other overseas stores to get my copy...

Also; there are several 50/1.2 lenses out there. As you mention a lens we can't mount to the Pentax cameras it would be fair to mention Zuiko 50/1.2, Zuiko 55/1.2 and the Nikkor versions as well. They are all performing pretty similar to the A50/1.2 and can be bought for less than USD 400.

[/nitpicking mode]
Thanks for the feedback . Zuiko is something I totally missed out (little experience with it but read about it in a few places on line).

Cheers

[/defensive mode]
06-18-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How did you analyze the sharpness?
Did you do a focus series and did you check the corners?

I have found the Takumars to be worse in the corners always.
06-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
How did you analyze the sharpness?
Did you do a focus series and did you check the corners?

I have found the Takumars to be worse in the corners always.
Ahhh...that's an excellent question.

Any time I'm debating sharpness I make sure that I used a tripod, MLU when appropriate, no filters, and absolutely no USM in post-process. I do several initial shots with each lens to magnify the focus to try to get exactly the same focus point (this can be a pain in the ...)
The primary point of these matchups is comparing 'real' photos between lenses - in other words, I'll take both lenses around and shoot shots that I would consider taking if I weren't comparing lenses. So this means that I might not examine extreme corner sharpness, or CA across the whole frame, etc. I agree that such information can be helpful (photozone.de does this well) but it is outside the scope of this challenge.

Maybe if one of the Takumars makes it to Round 2 I'll try some more detailed sharpness exercises.

Thanks for the comment,
Sean