Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

DA L 55-300mm lens hood question

Has anyone with the DA L 55-300mm telephoto used a three stage rubber lens hood (58mm) and had any luck with it? With the absence of non-Pentax 58mm tele lens hoods for 55-300mm lenses, and not being able to afford the Pentax version, I am looking for a suitable replacement. How about the 75-300mm lens hoods made for Canons, etc?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!!

12-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmen Quote
Has anyone with the DA L 55-300mm telephoto used a three stage rubber lens hood (58mm) and had any luck with it? With the absence of non-Pentax 58mm tele lens hoods for 55-300mm lenses, and not being able to afford the Pentax version, I am looking for a suitable replacement. How about the 75-300mm lens hoods made for Canons, etc?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!!
I've used quite a bit of those hoods with many lenses. Though in most cases I find myself favoring a solid hood instead.

However, the Pentax hoods are really convenient because they take advantage of the quick mount which can be reverse on the lens for storage in a bag whereas the other solutions don't do that. I think we all feel what Pentax has done by selling kit lenses less the hoods only to charge 8x the price of the product after the fact. However, if you asked me, I'd have to admit that it's worth getting it.
12-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
DA L 55-300mm lens hood question

Thanks for the info. I received some info several weeks ago from another forum member that suggested using the Pentax PH-RBH 58mm lens hood which is made for the 55mm fixed lens. I think I will try that one first since it is a Pentax hood and it is half the cost of the one made specifically for the 55-300 zoom.
12-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, that was my suggestion. But please, if you do try that, make sure you get the hood from a place with a good return policy. You don't want to be stuck with a useless lens hood if it doesn't work. Just because two Pentax lenses have the same size bayonet-mount hood doesn't mean they are interchangeable. A good example are the hoods for the DA 17-70mm and the DA* 50-135mm. Both are 67-mm bayonet hoods, but neither hood will fit on the wrong lens. That's because the 67-mm measurement refers to the filter threads, and not necessarily the outer diameter of the lens tube where the hood attaches. In the case of the 17-70 and 50-135, those diameters are a couple millimeters different.

12-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lens hood 55-300mm question

Great suggestion on the return idea. It would be nice if Pentax would/could give some technical help on issues like this. Since I am new to the forum, does Pentax ever get involved in helping with issues like this? I have searched for individual specifications for the various Pentax lens hoods in order to avoid having to play the return game but have not found any help. Thanks for your time.
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lens hood for 55-300mm DA L

I did purchase a 58mm three-way rubber lens hood from ebay (less than $10 with shipping) and am using it now. So far no complaints. Good quality screw mount. It does not interfere with the lens through the full 55-300 zoom. I might some day get the rigid Pentax one, but for now this is a good fix.
01-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that these two are the same:

PH-RBH / PH-RBG lens hood (DA* 55, DA 55-300mm)

They are the same FL on the wide end, which is what hoods are made for.

and this one is supposed to be close:
PH-RBF58 (FA J 75-300mm)

75mm on a FF is about 50mm on an APS-C, so it may not be as long as the previous hoods, but shouldn't vignette.
01-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

But note my post above...the size of the bayonet part may not be exactly the same even on lenses with the same filter diameter. I would imaging that even having the same minimum focal length is no guarantee of compatibility.

I'm not saying the DA* 55mm hood won't fit...I'm just not swearing that it will.

01-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
But note my post above...the size of the bayonet part may not be exactly the same even on lenses with the same filter diameter. I would imaging that even having the same minimum focal length is no guarantee of compatibility.

I'm not saying the DA* 55mm hood won't fit...I'm just not swearing that it will.
Someone who had both a DA* 55mm and a non-L DA 55-300mm already verified that they are interchangable. Unfortunately, its no longer being sold by BH so if anyone finds out a place that is selling it...

And as said I'm not sure about the FA J.
01-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for the info. I just got a note from B&H that they now have the Pentax hood in stock again.
01-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
Just because two Pentax lenses have the same size bayonet-mount hood doesn't mean they are interchangeable. A good example are the hoods for the DA 17-70mm and the DA* 50-135mm. Both are 67-mm bayonet hoods, but neither hood will fit on the wrong lens. That's because the 67-mm measurement refers to the filter threads, and not necessarily the outer diameter of the lens tube where the hood attaches.
Another example, the FA 35mm 2.0 hood doesn't fit on the FA 50mm 1.4, even though they're the same series, the same filter size, and you have to look twice to see which is in your hand. A single 49mm rubber hood fits all my primes (28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 100mm), so that's all I carry.

I did purchase a 58mm three-way rubber lens hood from ebay (less than $10 with shipping) and am using it now. So far no complaints. Good quality screw mount. It does not interfere with the lens through the full 55-300 zoom. I might some day get the rigid Pentax one, but for now this is a good fix.
While I agree with most of what you said, I do have complaints. IMO the 3-stage rubber hood looks plain ugly on the 55-300. It's too wide & flat, and it squashes the bottom of the hood when you put the camera down, even with the largish K20D. More importantly the rubber hood doesn't extend nearly as far as the original hood, making it less effective. I do like that it allows me to access a CPL, and even though the rubber hood is large, it takes very little room in the bag when folded.

I'd like a better solution than the Pentax hood, hopefully at a cheaper price. The 3-stage rubber hood is only partly successful so I'm still looking.

Thank you all for the info. I just got a note from B&H that they now have the Pentax hood in stock again.
Yeah, but the price is still an ouch for an unsophisticated, fragile plastic tube that can't cost more than 98 cents to make.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-22-2010 at 06:40 AM.
04-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #12

Rubber lens hood

Hi, for lack of space in my camera bag, I opted for a rubber lens hood. So far, I have had no "bad"experience with it. The good thing is that is already on my lens for a quick change of lenses. If I get a different carry bag that will accomdate the hard lens hood, then I might think of changing.
05-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

anyone tired the Pentax PH-RBB58 Bayonet Mount Lens Hood for FA 200mm f/4 Lens??
same 58 mm, longer than PH-RBH and PH-RBG.

if I am using the lens mainly in 300mm range under sunlight, should I get the longer hood?
05-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would prefer a hard hood rather than a rubber hood as it may provide a bit more protection from knocks and scrapes.

Plus, if you use a polarizer filter, the hard Pentax hood has the little filter-turning window.
05-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
anyone tired the Pentax PH-RBB58 Bayonet Mount Lens Hood for FA 200mm f/4 Lens??
same 58 mm, longer than PH-RBH and PH-RBG.

if I am using the lens mainly in 300mm range under sunlight, should I get the longer hood?
If you don't mind vignetting at lower FL or taking off the hood, sure