Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D+A28mm f/2.8 Exposure trouble

I like this camera/lens combo a lot, great optical results but I had trouble with erratic exposure in the lens A mode. I'm thinking of getting an FA28 to get good autoexposure and autofocus, but I made a discovery yesterday.
The lens overexposes. Why?
Doing some testing I discovered the lens exposes correctly at 2.8 and overexposes 1 constant stop for other aperture values. So if I set compensation to -1 I get good autoexposure through the whole range except 2.8, underexposed.
Noticing that, I started looking at the diaphragm at different apertures and there was the surprise: when in A mode the lens doesn't start closing until after f/4. So I get f/2.8 for camera settings f/2.8 and F/4. Then, all other stops are displaced, 5.6 is in fact 4, and so on.
When out of the A mode, the lens closes down correctly, because it's the internal lens mechanism that determines the opening amount.
The camera is almost new and exposure with the kit lens is perfect. My other lenses are Ms so I can't try other As to see what happens.
But the problem is clearly the autoaperture lever doesn't move to the point of correct opening for the aprture set in the camera. What I notice is the 28mm doesn't have a proportional space between the wider fstops, could that be the problem?
Does anyone else's A 28 behave like this? Would buying the FA28 change that?

Last edited by max889; 12-27-2009 at 02:01 PM.
12-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll hazard a guess your lens might have sticky or slow aperture blades that prevents the lens from stopping down correctly. This could be due to oil on the blades. The other possibility is the aperture coupling pin is bent, so it is not stopping down correctly. Lens may need to be serviced.
01-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The lens is clean, it went to service. I'm using and FA 28 now, very happy with it, no flaws worth mentioning.