Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Couple of new toys.

Just picked up a couple new lenses. Both lenses are Takumars.

1. Super Takumar 105mm F2.8. This one came with the original case & hood. Has original rear cap, but missing the front cap. Lens is very clean.

2. Super Multi Coated Takumar Zoom 85-210 F4.5. I'm almost afraid to mount this one, as it's so close to being mint, it almost makes me sick. It's so clean that I wouldn't be surprised if it's ever even been mounted. It came with the case, but it's showing it's age. Also has the original front & rear cap, plus original hood. The only fault I can see with this is that the hood has a small nick in it.

3. Also got as a bonus, an original Takumar lens case that looks almost new. It's a shame he didn't have that lens. The case belongs to a 50mm 1.4 lens. I like the way the old Tak cases have the info right on the cases top.

I also picked up a Sigma 28-70 UC Zoom lens. 3.5-4.5 From what others have mentioned in another thread, this one is nothing to write about, but I'm pleased with the others.

12-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #2

Exact Name : smc PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm
Color : black
Years of Production : 1979 ~ 1985
Availability : used, several times a month
Optical Formula : 5 elements in 5 groups
Aperture Range : f/2 ~ f/22
Number of Aperture Blades : 6
Minimum Focusing Distance : 0.45 m
Maximum Magnification : 0.15 X
Filter Diameter : 49 mm
Maximum Diameter :63 mm
Length : 31 mm
Weight : 160 g

This lens is not very exciting. It was the standard lens that Pentax sold with all their M-series bodies, so it is very abundant. The lens was optimized for low-cost production and is optically not quite as good as the slightly more expensive M50/1.7 or A 50/1.7. Still, if you've never used a prime lens, you will be amazed at the quality of images you get with one of these "cheap lenses".

However, there is one interesting thing about the M 50/2. In early 2007 Fabio Cittadini noticed that some M 50/2 lenses featured a linear aperture lever just like the newer SMC-A lenses. Fabio Cittadini and Dario Bonazza were able to track down several M 50/2 and compiled the following list of differences:
12-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure where you read it, but that's not one of the new lenses I got. I actually do have that lens, and do agree it's not a great lens, but it does work for what I payed for it a couple of years ago.

edit - OK, I think I see, you probably got it from my sig line below my post. Makes sense.

QuoteOriginally posted by readone Quote
Exact Name : smc PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm
Color : black
Years of Production : 1979 ~ 1985
Availability : used, several times a month
Optical Formula : 5 elements in 5 groups
Aperture Range : f/2 ~ f/22
Number of Aperture Blades : 6
Minimum Focusing Distance : 0.45 m
Maximum Magnification : 0.15 X
Filter Diameter : 49 mm
Maximum Diameter :63 mm
Length : 31 mm
Weight : 160 g

This lens is not very exciting. It was the standard lens that Pentax sold with all their M-series bodies, so it is very abundant. The lens was optimized for low-cost production and is optically not quite as good as the slightly more expensive M50/1.7 or A 50/1.7. Still, if you've never used a prime lens, you will be amazed at the quality of images you get with one of these "cheap lenses".

However, there is one interesting thing about the M 50/2. In early 2007 Fabio Cittadini noticed that some M 50/2 lenses featured a linear aperture lever — just like the newer SMC-A lenses. Fabio Cittadini and Dario Bonazza were able to track down several M 50/2 and compiled the following list of differences:
12-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Just picked up a couple new lenses. Both lenses are Takumars.

1. Super Takumar 105mm F2.8. This one came with the original case & hood. Has original rear cap, but missing the front cap. Lens is very clean.

2. Super Multi Coated Takumar Zoom 85-210 F4.5. I'm almost afraid to mount this one, as it's so close to being mint, it almost makes me sick. It's so clean that I wouldn't be surprised if it's ever even been mounted. It came with the case, but it's showing it's age. Also has the original front & rear cap, plus original hood. The only fault I can see with this is that the hood has a small nick in it.

3. Also got as a bonus, an original Takumar lens case that looks almost new. It's a shame he didn't have that lens. The case belongs to a 50mm 1.4 lens. I like the way the old Tak cases have the info right on the cases top.

I also picked up a Sigma 28-70 UC Zoom lens. 3.5-4.5 From what others have mentioned in another thread, this one is nothing to write about, but I'm pleased with the others.

1. Nice find! A little long very sharp lens.

2. Does the under-lid of the Tak zoom case contain the closeup attachment lens?

3. The 50/1.4 case is rare imo. Most of those lenses were sold kit on cameras, without separate lens case. Maybe one of those is looking for a home?

12-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
2. Does the under-lid of the Tak zoom case contain the closeup attachment lens?
Don't think so, but never did a close inspection of the case. Stranger things have happened.