Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 01:38 AM   #16
Damn Brit

There are other options - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84205-tamron-7...elievable.html for example andno SDM to worry about.

12-30-2009, 02:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
There are other options - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84205-tamron-7...elievable.html for example andno SDM to worry about.
I seriously considered that one (and the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8) as an alternative. The Tamron is especially appealing because of its price and 6 year warranty, and the Sigma because of its 4 year warranty. But they're just not adequate for my needs.

They weigh almost twice as much as the DA* 50-135mm, and they're over 2" longer too, not to mention much wider. Since most of my trekking is done on a mountain bike, minimizing weight is important. And I want to be able to handle the camera without a constant need for a tripod.

Also, neither the Tamron nor the Sigma have weather sealing, and I love taking my camera into nasty weather like snow storms and thunderstorms. I've already done both with my K7 in the 3 weeks I've owned it. A couple weeks ago I laid down in the wet snow and half-buried the camera just to get an interesting angle. Last week I was using the camera in such intense cold, the top LCD was barely working anymore.

I think I've researched and agonized over this decision enough. The DA* 50-135mm seems like the perfect lens for my needs, despite the possibility of SDM issues.
12-30-2009, 02:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
BTW, that still seems mind-numbingly lame to me. 4 year warranty for Sigma, 6 year warranty for Tamron... and a lousy 1 year warranty for Pentax's best offering.

Is Pentax reading this? Am I the only one who's offended?
12-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #19
Damn Brit

What about going cheap and getting the 50-200? I think there is a weather sealed version now.
It's not too shabby a lens from a picture taking POV and it's really light.
Personally, I've lusted over the 50-135 but I wouldn't touch an SDM lens.

12-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
What about going cheap and getting the 50-200? I think there is a weather sealed version now.
It's not too shabby a lens from a picture taking POV and it's really light.
Personally, I've lusted over the 50-135 but I wouldn't touch an SDM lens.
The image quality of the 50-200mm is no better than the 18-55mm. I'm looking for a fast zoom lens that I can use in all kinds of light and will give me outstanding results. 50mm at F4 is hardly fast, and that's a marginal F4 at best. It falls to F4.5 with the most minute adjustment of the focal length. Not to mention that I need to stop down even more if I want adequate sharpess. I can't get good results out of my 18-55 unless I stop down to F5.

The only lens I've found that's directly comparable to the DA* 50-135mm is the Sigma 50-150mm F2.8. It weighs only slightly more (by like 100 grams) and is almost the same size. It's also $50 cheaper. HSM is a lot more reliable than SDM, and it has a 4 year warranty. Image quality is excellent, comparable to the 50-135mm. But alas, still no weather-sealing Pentax really did an excellent job spec'ing the 50-135mm, its only fault is that I can't use the screw-drive focusing even though it's right there... and it has the worst warranty.

Last edited by GoremanX; 01-01-2010 at 02:56 PM.
01-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For what you need...lenses first the fast 2.8 zooms with the cameras processor should do fine.

Last edited by Clicker; 01-02-2010 at 09:59 AM.
01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yay! I just received the DA* 50-135mm today. It's a bit heavier than I anticipated, so I'm real glad I didn't get the heavier Sigma 50-150mm or a 70-200mm.

It's been snowing horribly all day, and the wind is driving the snow almost horizontally, but I just couldn't wait to use this lens, so I went out anyways. Figured I might as well test out the weather sealing

The wind and driving snow made it very hard to get good shots. Most of the pictures have snow flakes blurring across the scene. But I still managed to snap a couple of interesting things. I'm real impressed with this lens so far, and can't wait to see what I can do with it in nicer weather.

All of these were taken with my K7, most of them at F4. It was REALLY HARD to get the exposure right because the amount of snow in the shot kept changing from scene to scene. I kept having to play with the exposure compensation to get it right.

I'd probably be on my bike for this if it wasn't so windy out...

Obviously this wasn't outdoors. I always have to test new camera things on my old, lazy basset:

...and I can't have my lazy bagel feeling left out:

(yes, I said bagel, not beagle. This is a basset/beagle mix that was rescued from a puppy mill)

Last edited by GoremanX; 01-02-2010 at 08:15 PM.