Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Wallace Quote
How about something wide, reasonably fast, not very heavy, and not too expensive?

I want to capture dimly lit interiors (temples, palaces, etc.). I need wide angle to get everything in. I don't want to drag my bag all day long just for the few shots for which I might use the lens. And I can be quite happy with an older manual focus. Interiors tend to stay stationary.

Something around 18mm might be nice. And it would have to be significantly faster than f3.5.

I wouldn't be asking for too much would I?
DA14mm f2.8.

There is also Zenitar 16mm f2.8 but that one does not seem to be usable at f2.8 altho good if stopped down more. So the DA is a better bet, altho its a bit pricey but thats how it gets when u want extremely wide (or extreme tele for that matter).

If u want something more affordable then u can get the excellent DA21 f3.2 altho thats not a speed demon but f3.2 is not that different from f2.8 and the price is not bad for a quality metal build lens.

06-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Very sharp through it's zoom range, and only 1/2 stop slower than the FA35.
Just a little precision, f/2.8 is a whole stop slower than f/2.0.
06-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
Forum Member

Thanks.

But the DA 14 2.8 seems to be a $700 lens that's only a half stop or so faster than f3.5.

And the DA 21 3.2 is not as wide and only a tiny bit faster than the kit lens.

(Perhaps the image quality is significantly higher. Haven't researched that yet.)
06-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #19
Forum Member

35 f/2 is a great lens for indoors. You can also try the 31 or 43, but they are more costly.

06-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

For fast and wide, I think these are about your only choices.
for Pentax - Lenses & Accessories
06-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #21

Original Poster
The k10d finally came in. As "and" suggested, I compared the kit lens at 35mm vs. 50mm. While I am fond of close-up pictures (which would be easier to unobtrusively achieve with a 50mm) , I must admit that there's a *lot* of flexibility to be had at 35mm. Composing (non-closeup) shots at 50mm often required much awkward backing up, whereas they seem seemed to quickly fall into place at 35mm.

That said, the FA35 is $300 whereas the FA50 is $175 (after rebate), and the FA50 *does* let in more light and I'm thinking it'll let me take nice, closeup candid shots of the gf without getting in her face quite so much.

Thanks for the input, guys. In the end I'll probably get both, but my strained bank account and the limited-time rebate are urging me towards the cheaper option first.
06-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #22
Forum Member

i think you should get the FA50. I just got mine 2 days ago, and i have to say that I am happy with it. When you stop the lens down at around f2.8 or down to f4, it really gets sharp. in fact at f4 i don't need sharpening in PP anymore. so yes, you should go for the FA50, which by the way is cheaper and at the moment available. I reasoned out that the FA50 may be out of stock in a couple of days so that is why I impulsely bought mine right after i realized that. lol. when the FA35 gets available, and when my funds will allow me, I will definitely get one, so I will have an alternative for group shots in low light.

06-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #23
and
Veteran Member

Do notice that people are saying the FA50 is very sharp when you stop it down a little. Whereas the FA35 imo is sharp from f2.0. So if you end up stopping down the FA50 to f2.8 for sharpness then the FA35 is actually the faster lens

Well I can appreciate the price consideration. I didnt pay that much less for my 50 than my 35 so that wasnt a big concern for me, but in the US you get those extra rebates which changes things.

Well its good that you figured it out none the less, and yes, you should get both Well there is a new DA 35 SDM coming ...sometime... none knows how fast it is yet but considering there is a Macro DA 35 f2.8 coming, it has to be faster than 2.8. So maybe, hopefully, it ends up beeing even faster than the current FA 35, in that case you will have a killer low-light combo once u are ready to get the 35 as well.

Good luck with the 50