Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #1

Just acquired the Pentax DA 70mm ltd, and love it

For about a month now I've been thinking about purchasing the Pentax K-x, but after much consideration I concluded that I would be much happier if I invested my money in new glass. I already have the 35mm ltd and absolutely love it. I therefore decided to purchase another ltd. I originally wanted to get the 15mm as I don't have any lens that covers this range. The closest I have is the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Macro. I concluded though that I've very rarely felt the need to go beyond 18mm and therefore I decided to get the 70mm instead. I have the DA 50-200, but it's not particularly fast and I also wanted a lens that could double as a usable portrait lens. The 70mm therefore felt like a natural choice, and I have to say that I'm extremely pleased with my choice. The pictures I took today were so sharp that I could have converted my RAW files directly to jpeg without adding any sharpening and they would still have looked brilliant. I thought about getting the 77mm ltd, but the price difference was to big, and I also love the compact size of the 70mm ltd. It's perfect for street photography as it doesn't look at all intrusive.

I've taken some great pictures with it today and I will be posting them on the image section of the forum later today. I'll post back here once I've had a chance to test it more, and I'll also post a link here to my post containing the pictures I took today once I get them onto the internet.

I can already tell you though, if you're considering upgrading your camera, think about spending your money on a high quality lens instead. I'm extremely happy that I made this choice. My K200D may be almost 2 years old, but it's providing me with amazing pictures when paired up with the right lens. I've now decided that I wont be needing a camera upgrade for quite some time. I'm going to get the complete DA ltd lens set first . Who knows. Maybe I'll even get the FA ltd lenses once I can afford it as well.

12-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent advice about getting new glass instead of a new camera in order to put a spark back into your photography. Even though I just upgraded to the K-x, I can't see me getting a different camera for at least another couple of years, and I'll focus my money into glass instead.

Speaking of which, I also just bought a 70/2.4 ltd and it should arrive in a few days. Like you, I'm very excited about getting another limited lens (I had the 40/2.8, but sold it before I could use it too much, the slow aperture for the focal length just didn't do it for me).

Congratulations on your new acquisition and I hope we can see some pictures from it soon!
12-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
I posted todays shots here. Really loving this lens .
12-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One of my favorite lenses. A great buy.

12-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice series in that other thread. The DA 70 could be my favorite lens in pure output and an uncanny ability to nail almost every shot, though I don't use it as much as I'd like to. But it is an incredible lens, and in such a great form factor. Enjoy it.
12-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome looking shots alehel, you're making me really happy I went with this lens instead of getting the 77/1.8 and being broke!
12-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
I'm really pleased with my purchase. I only carry my 35 ltd and 70 ltd around now. it's so much easier. I was really impressed by the sharpness of the RAW files. I didn't even need sharpening. It's by far my best lens at the moment.
12-29-2009, 02:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Great photos I just got this lens for xmas and absolutely love it too.