Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi all,

I think I hit a jackpot on the weekend. I found the Tamron PzAf 1.4x locally for what felt like a bargain.
I can pick it up in a couple of weeks if the camera shops police check is cleared.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by lats; 01-12-2010 at 02:28 PM.
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Hi all,

I think I hit a jackpot on the weekend. I found the Tamron PzAf 1.4x for $100 locally.
I can pick it up in a couple of weeks if the camera shops police check is cleared.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks for all the advice.
Police check? You would think if they had concerns that they would have done that prior to putting it up for sale.
01-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Police check? You would think if they had concerns that they would have done that prior to putting it up for sale.
The city of Vancouver requires a police check to be completed for on all second hand camera equipment sold commercially.

I suppose the shop advertises items prior to the check being complete so they can keep the cash flow and turn over in the store.

You're able to view the item and if you're happy with it put a deposit down. If it doesn't pass the check you get your deposit back.

I have no problems with it. I guess it just sends the thieves to Craigslist.
01-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The city of Vancouver requires a police check to be completed for on all second hand camera equipment sold commercially.

I suppose the shop advertises items prior to the check being complete so they can keep the cash flow and turn over in the store.

You're able to view the item and if you're happy with it put a deposit down. If it doesn't pass the check you get your deposit back.

I don't have a problem with it per se. It seems that it would keep the police busy, especially on small items like that.

01-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/86700-sale-ta...focus-mc4.html

Should I take it or do someone want it ?
01-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't have a problem with it per se. It seems that it would keep the police busy, especially on small items like that.
Yeah, I was a little surprised - the camera shop people definitely had a problem with it. A real hassle for them with all the extra paper work I'm sure.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it out!
Just in time for the Games.
01-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #22

Sigma APO EX 1.4x is compatible with the FA*200

I see that you've already found a copy of the Tamron, but in case that doesn't work out, the Sigma APO EX 1.4x converter is also compatible with the FA*200 - the rear element of this lens is highly recessed, so there's no chance of it hitting the front element of the converter. I've also verified that AF works with this combo (in poor indoor lighting even). However, I haven't had a chance yet to do any tests nor any serious shooting to form a strong opinion as to the performance.

One other thing about the Sigma is that it passes the focal length and aperture of the attached lens straight-through to the camera, without conversion. I'm not so concerned about the aperture, but with the incorrectly-reported effective focal length the SR won't be quite as effective (though it will still help). It's my understanding that most 3rd-party TC's do behave this way, while the Pentax AFA 1.7x doesn't.

One advantage of the FA*200 + TC combo is the great reduction in size and weight over a longer prime or zoom. Yes, there will be some futzing about while you switch between TC and no-TC shooting, and also the wide-open performance might suffer. But the results should be "good enough".

Anyways, best of luck and I look forward to seeing some of your photos from the Winter Games!
01-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Wow, that's interesting. I never heared something like that. Buying secondhand will be a slow process than. Why do they do that - just to keep the officers occupied or to cash-in some fees?

Ben

01-13-2010, 03:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
I see that you've already found a copy of the Tamron, but in case that doesn't work out, the Sigma APO EX 1.4x converter is also compatible with the FA*200 -.............!
What about the sigma 2x ?

Last edited by netuser; 01-13-2010 at 05:19 AM.
01-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Wow, that's interesting. I never heared something like that. Buying secondhand will be a slow process than. Why do they do that - just to keep the officers occupied or to cash-in some fees?
They do this in other parts of Canada too.

I suppose it's effective at catching crooks (at least the less-intelligent ones), otherwise they wouldn't put in the effort.
01-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
What about the sigma 2x ?
I don't have any experience with this one. I believe it is similar to the 1.4x in that it has a protruding front element, which limits lens compatibility. However, since the FA*200 has a very recessed rear element, it should still physically fit. But I have no idea what the quality will be like.