Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
TC for the FA*200mm

Hi all.

I'm preparing for the Winter Olympics and have a copy of the FA*200 on the way in the mail to me.

I'm looking to pick up a TC to go with this lens.

Has anyone had any experience with TC's and this lens and/or have any recommendations?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks very much.

Cheers

12-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No experience specifically with the FA*200, but as you can see from a thread I made, the Tamron/Promaster AF 1.7x teleconverter in particular performs extremely well:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84205-tamron-7...elievable.html
12-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi lats,

Congrats on the FA*200. I don't have one, but I'm confident enough in the FA* teles that this will be a great acquisition.

The only AF TCs that I can comment on from experience are the Tamron F 1.4x AF PZ MC4, the Sigma EX 1.4x APO AF TC, and the Pentax F 1.7x Auto Focusing Adapter, and all are very good, and would work very well with your new lens. I'd even go so far to say that any two of these should also work fine stacked, and give you at least acceptable IQ, but I can't say this with certainty as I don't have this lens. I will say that they work at least acceptably on my A*200/2.8, but without AF for the two 1.4x TCs either alone or stacked (because the A* is an MF lens).

I've also seen good results from the Promaster 1.7x and the Kenko 1.5x, and these should work fine with your FA*. The angst that has been shown about TC compatibility really revolves around SDM focusing in the new DA* teles. There is no such compatibility question with the screw drive FA* teles.

The highest quality TCs for the K mount are the Pentax A 1.4x and 2x Rear Converter - L TCs, but they are MF only, and only will fit the longer teles because of the significant protrusion of their front elements.

Scott
12-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Original Poster
Scott, Wallyb,

Thanks for the replies. The Tamron 70-200 was on my list as well prior to purchasing the FA*200 (which I picked up on the forum)

Scott, I've looked at the Tamron F1/4x and found it on Ebay and I've also thought about the Kenko 1.5x which it appears I can pick up from a multitude of dealers online. I'd prefer an AF given I'm going to use if for some sport photography. I'm going to wander down to the local Camera store and speak to the guys there tomorrow.

I can't wait for the postman to arrive with the parcel!

Thanks again.

Anyone else?

12-29-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you can't go wrong with this one.
12-29-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
I think you can't go wrong with this one.
I would disagree. The image quality in images I've seen isn't as good as the Tamron/Promaster 1.7x, it costs nearly four times as much, and there's no sense in having an AF-adapting converter on a lens that is already AF. That's actually the exact one that I wouldn't recommend for lats' purposes.
12-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lats,

I don't have the FA*200 but I do have the FA*300 and the Pentax 1.7x and found them to work with each other perfectly. I tried the Kenko models and the lenses had trouble focusing and locking in on the subject. I ended up returning the Kenko and held out until I was able to get the Pentax model. I asked a similar question and got answers supporting all the models but after trying them personally I chose to stick with Pentax. Ultimately when reading thru the responses the Pentax seemed to be the choice of most. You do have to be careful with the other brands they will only support certain model lenses. Hope this helps a bit...
12-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
I would disagree. The image quality in images I've seen isn't as good as the Tamron/Promaster 1.7x, it costs nearly four times as much, and there's no sense in having an AF-adapting converter on a lens that is already AF. That's actually the exact one that I wouldn't recommend for lats' purposes.
QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
Lats,

I don't have the FA*200 but I do have the FA*300 and the Pentax 1.7x and found them to work with each other perfectly. I tried the Kenko models and the lenses had trouble focusing and locking in on the subject. I ended up returning the Kenko and held out until I was able to get the Pentax model. I asked a similar question and got answers supporting all the models but after trying them personally I chose to stick with Pentax. Ultimately when reading thru the responses the Pentax seemed to be the choice of most. You do have to be careful with the other brands they will only support certain model lenses. Hope this helps a bit...
Hmm... Becomes complicated.

12-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sure, the Pentax AF-adapter 1.7x will "work", but that's like asking "will the 77 ltd work for taking snapshots of my dog?". There's no point in paying 4x as much for a teleconverter because it offers functionality you don't need. You can get the Tamron/Promaster 1.7x for around $100 and its image quality is at *least* as good as Pentax's -- better, in full-sized shots I've seen. And the AF will work just as well. The only "incompatibilities" with teleconverters, to my knowledge, is with SDM support, and the FA*200 is not an SDM lens. So why waste money, and not get as good of results?
12-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Kenko 1.5x, Sigma 1.4x and promaster 1.7x work well with the f*300mm. I would think either would be even better on the fa*200mm.

Last edited by ivoire; 12-30-2009 at 09:57 PM.
12-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Sure, the Pentax AF-adapter 1.7x will "work", but that's like asking "will the 77 ltd work for taking snapshots of my dog?". There's no point in paying 4x as much for a teleconverter because it offers functionality you don't need. You can get the Tamron/Promaster 1.7x for around $100 and its image quality is at *least* as good as Pentax's -- better, in full-sized shots I've seen. And the AF will work just as well. The only "incompatibilities" with teleconverters, to my knowledge, is with SDM support, and the FA*200 is not an SDM lens. So why waste money, and not get as good of results?
Hi Wally,

Your prospective here is a bit narrow-minded, IMO. I think that there are a few points that you seemed to have missed.

1. The F 1.7x AFA isn't just a TC, it's an AF adapter, which means that it will allow AF support for any K-mount lens (f4.5 max or faster with older bodies, and f5.6 max or faster with the K-7), and teles aren't the only lenses that can be made more versatile. My AFAs also get used with my FA 50/1.4 to get an 85/2.4 with very narrow DOF and virtual QS focusing, just to mention one example of non tele use. Add it to some superb old MF teles, and you can get AF in FLs that would pay an arm and a leg for -- add it to an Adaptall 2 300/2.8, and you get a very competent 510mm f4.8, and save about $3K and a couple of lbs over a Sigma EX 500/4.5. With the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 A2, you have a 135-340/4.8 that is only second to the Sigma EX 100-300/4 in versatility, speed, and IQ -- at less than half the price. With the FA* 300/4.5, I get a 510/7.7 that weighs a little more than 2 lbs, and I can actually set the SR to make it a more effective hand held lens since the AFA does not pass through the lens' FL information as do the other AF TCs, and the SR FL can be set at whatever level the user wants.

2. The AFA is considerably faster to lock AF within its range, and essentially gives you a variable, relatively narrow range, virtually automatic range-changing focus limiter which can speed acquiring focus lock significantly over any other lens/TC or bare lens AF. It also allows the same functionality as Quick Shift focusing with any lens.

I've saved thousands in AF tele lens cost, and am able to practically carry everything I need go from 300/2.8 to 714/6.7, which is not even close to feasible with the big tele primes. IMO, it adds functionality and versatility far beyond even its recently elevated price. BTW, I've had four of these (still have 3), and the most I've paid is the last one, at $228 shipped from KEH (EX cond) about a month and a half ago. . .

The AFA is a thoroughly unique Pentax accessory that should be given the credit it deserves. Some might say that the Nikon TC16a is equivalent, but it's not even close. . . The Pentax works as intended out of the box with any K-mount lens and any Pentax AF body, the Nikon needs chip mods and only works with selected bodies. . . sometimes. . . maybe. . .and with some combos, you need to dismount the lens to change the focusing range.

Scott
12-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm:
1. The F 1.7x AFA isn't just a TC, it's an AF adapter
That's exactly the point I haven't missed. You can tell by the times where I called it that, and pointed out its additional usage. However, this thread isn't "what teleconverter would you recommend for my old K- and M-series lenses?", it's "what TC would you recommend for the FA*200?" which is, by all accounts, an AF lens. There is no point in having added functionality if the user won't make use of it, especially when it comes at a significantly higher price.
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm:
2. The AFA is considerably faster to lock AF within its range, and essentially gives you a variable, relatively narrow range, virtually automatic range-changing focus limiter which can speed acquiring focus lock significantly over any other lens/TC or bare lens AF. It also allows the same functionality as Quick Shift focusing with any lens.
You are comparing manually-focusing an AF lens with an AF-adapting adapter, to AF functionality of an AF lens and an AF adapter. Not only is it silly to use an AF lens as an MF one at all times just because of an overpriced adapter you purchased, but an AF teleconverter on an AF lens will almost always be faster.

Again, this thread isn't "what teleconverter would you recommend for all my old MF lenses". Lats has pointed out a specific, auto-focusing lens that they want to pair a TC to. I think you need to reconsider the definition of "narrow-minded". I am being "wide-minded", in that I am taking into consideration all of the factors and qualities of the Pentax AF-adapting TC, and choosing to not recommend it for the purposes outlined Lats' request. There is a better, cheaper alternative that suits his purpose perfectly.
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Hi Wally,

I think you missed my point. . . pretty badly -- perhaps I did not express myself effectively -- probably "short-sighted" would have been a better choice of words. Versatility has value. I can do anything with the AFA that you can do with your Promaster, except focus throughout the range without touching the lens, but you can't make the same claim. The AFA has practical functionality beyond a normal TC as I noted, QS, focus limiter, quicker AF, and ability to use SR to it's full potential -- you quoted this, but apparently don't fully understand how much this mix of features can help when shooting small generally uncooperative subjects with long teles . . .

I actually prefer to shoot with the AFA on AF lenses (like the FA*300/4.5 and FA*300/2.8) as opposed to shooting them with a normal AF TC, but it's admittedly not for everyone. "Better" in this case is totally subjective, and I felt that the OP could make up his own mind as to that. . . and possible future lens acquisitions should play a part in this consideration. The AFA opens up a lot of extra possibilities in that respect (at least it did for me) and I consider it well worth even the inflated prices being asked for it (though I'd not be overly pleased at having to pay them).

You may have noticed that I mentioned the Promaster in my first post in this thread. I've nothing against it (results I've seen were very good), but the AFA, for me, has been a much more valuable acquisition, and especially knowing what I do now, there would be no contest if I were considering a 1.7x TC and had to choose between these two, despite the price differential. The AFA is the single most important factor in why I choose to shoot Pentax for birds.

Scott
12-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Wally,

I think you missed my point
No, I understood what minute point you had perfectly. You, however, clearly don't understand that there is no reason to pay extra for lesser IQ and features that might not be used. Again, check the title of the thread. OP is not in the same situation as you are from what he writes, and it's very "short-sighted" of you to try to force your opinion on his situation.
12-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Optically, A1.4X-L & A2X-L would be the best, but w/o AF.