Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #1

pentax k: Minolta MD???

is there such an adapter? i have a couple nice minolta MD lenses id like to be able to use on my k-x... anyone know if its possible?

12-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #2

Original Poster
or even olympus 4/3 to pentax k?
12-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is no adaptor that I know of, and even if there was it wouold require optical correction (i.e. teleconverter with magnification) to sort out the difference in regestration distance and stll provide infinity focus.

I have however, reciently taken a flanged Screw mount adaptor and used it to replace the mount on a 28mm F2 Konica lense with minolta MD mount, works fine as a stop down lens
12-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
ahhh I hate to lose my 1.2 and 1.4 minoltas... bahhh... guess i can use both of them to fund a down payment for a 1.2 pk, lol...

12-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p0opstlnksal0t Quote
ahhh I hate to lose my 1.2 and 1.4 minoltas... bahhh... guess i can use both of them to fund a down payment for a 1.2 pk, lol...
if you want to use them, you can, if you are adventurous, modify them like I dod the Kiron.

You just need a micrometer to measure the stack up of all the bits in the minolta mount, and the flanged screw mount adaptor and remove enough of them if possible to make the swap.
12-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
you say yours works fine as a stop down lens... why is this? did the mount modify it in a way that it no longer functions properly wide open? also what did you remove from your 28mm? ive never taken a lens apart, is it even possible to "remove" bits to get the same depth as with the original MD mount? also, are you talking about just using an m42 back plate from like a trash lens then swapping it on?
12-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you say yours works fine as a stop down lens... why is this? did the mount modify it in a way that it no longer functions properly wide open? also what did you remove from your 28mm? ive never taken a lens apart, is it even possible to "remove" bits to get the same depth as with the original MD mount? also, are you talking about just using an m42 back plate from like a trash lens then swapping it on?
on the kiron lens (and also a vivitar 24mm for nikonbuilt by kiron) the aperture activation lever is an integral part of the old mount, including bearings to keep it moving freely.

when you take off the old mount all of this comes off in one peice. I cvan't say what will happen on a minolta lens, as I have never happened across one of those yet.

When I took the bottom 5 screws securing the mount, I also removed a 0.8 mm shim (the mount was 1.8 mm thick). I don't know what you will find on you r lens

I then had to remove part of the back of the aperture setting ring, as it had a flange on it that would get in the way.

this was ground off with a large wet grinder I have.

with all this done, drilling the flanged mount to the correct hole pattern then countersinking the screws allowed the new mount to be installed.

Note : I got the F2 28mm for $5 because it had stuck aperture blades (a common problem with kiron lenses of the early 1980's), so I was not sacrificing a lot in terms of money for the attempt.

12-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #8

Original Poster
i see. i dont really think i want to test my theory on these lenses as they are like brand new rokkor-x MD minoltas. although theyre not high end, theyre still relativley expensive to just rip apart and experiment on... i may just keep them with my e-510 as a backup, but i think i may be better suited to just sell them off and get more pentax gear. I already have a pentax m 50mm f1.7 i just picked up, so im hoping this will perform like my minoltas.

anyone know of a relatively cheap model (less than say 200.00) f1.2-1.4 k mount?
12-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hah, I don't know if I'm even supposed to say this on this forum, but I think you can mount those lenses on a Sony DSLR. Some of those are pretty cheap.
12-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
Hah, I don't know if I'm even supposed to say this on this forum, but I think you can mount those lenses on a Sony DSLR. Some of those are pretty cheap.
Well there's nothing wrong with talking about other systems here, but you can't mount Minolta MC/MD lenses on Sony cameras without an adapter with IQ-degrading glass in it, either. Only older Minolta Maxxum lenses are compatible, from the 80s-90s, not MC/MD lenses from the 60s/70s.
12-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #11

Original Poster
theyve been great on my oly e510... i wouldnt go buy a sony just to get these lenses to work since i have a capable oly to mount them to. i just want a better capable rig so i went with the k-x.... before that i was gonna hop on the k20d bandwagon
12-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, if you still have that oly, the best IQ will be from that because the adapter doesn't have glass in it.

wallyb, I didn't know that! I guess other companies weren't so big on being backwards compatible as Pentax.
12-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
wallyb, I didn't know that! I guess other companies weren't so big on being backwards compatible as Pentax.
That is correct. The only two companies out of Pentax, Sony/Minolta, Nikon, Canon, and Olympus, that offer direct compatibility with all their vintage equipment, are Pentax and Nikon. And even then, only partially for Nikon.
12-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter

is there such an adapter? i have a couple nice minolta MD lenses id like to be able to use on my k-x... anyone know if its possible?
Go to this thread and scroll down to post 2.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/56234-konica-minolta...ld-lenses.html

I'd practice on a 3rd party or junker MD first though . . . or just use them on a nice vintage Minolta body!!