Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dodged a Bullet

Just a quick note in case other people find themselves in a similar situation.

I was out photographing in the snowy woods and decided to change lenses.

Long story short, in the middle of changing I dropped my DA 16-45mm in the snow, like deep in the snow, rear element exposed and everything. I picked it up, brushed all the snow off of it I could and headed back to the car. I placed it in my cup holder, turned the head on high and closed every vent in the car except for the one nearest the lens. Every now and then I'd turn it so it cooked evenly =)

In the end, I see no water inside the lens and it takes great pictures still.

Word of caution though, take your time when changing lenses in dangerous environments! Also, more proof that I need at worst, WR lenses (i'll upgrade to DA* when i'm a good enough photographer to justify it)

12-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting to think about, I never thought about water getting into the lens this way.

Not long after I got the DS I was snowshoeing and trying to switch to a SMC M 50mm 1.7 lens. I dropped it in the snow when a blast of wind came up and almost blew me over (and deposited a large amount of dust inside the camera). I didn't think about water getting into the lens itself - I just brushed off the snow and then mounted it on the camera. I probably shouldn't have been so cavalier about the lens (and I learned the important lesson to always face downwind when changing lenses!). There was still dust under the focusing screen when I sold the camera two years later).
12-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good reminder.
Also applies on rocky surfaces, near the water or in the rain... WR means nothing once the lens has been dismounted!
12-29-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Id suggest the snow saved your lens, had you dropped it on something solid it would be more likely to break

12-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
(i'll upgrade to DA* when i'm a good enough photographer to justify it)
I admire your willpower. If I lived by that tenet I'd still be using a pinhole camera.
12-29-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I dropped my DA 16-45mm in the snow, like deep in the snow, rear element exposed and everything.

I dropped it in the snow when a blast of wind came up and almost blew me over (and deposited a large amount of dust inside the camera).
These two situations is why I am a firm believer in using only the Pentax 18-250 when outdoors in an uncontrolled environment. No lens changes needed, and no opportunity for dust and pollutants to enter my camera.

You were fortunate it was snow. Imagine what would have happened if it landed in a puddle of water. And I think the WR lenses are water resistant only when mounted on the camera, not dropped in water or snow.
12-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This is why I have a WR kit lens in the mail, and will be using it when snowshoeing.
12-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The other night a sweater dryer next to our dresser fell over sending my Sigma 24-60 rolling over the edge and bouncing twice on the wooden floor more than three feet below.
I have not noticed any damage to the lens but I have got to stop putting lenses ontop of our dresser. Somehow I must find the motivation and some compromise from my wife to make better storage space for my gear.

12-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
The other night a sweater dryer next to our dresser fell over sending my Sigma 24-60 rolling over the edge and bouncing twice on the wooden floor more than three feet below.

I have not noticed any damage to the lens but I have got to stop putting lenses ontop of our dresser. Somehow I must find the motivation and some compromise from my wife to make better storage space for my gear.
Lots of my gear sits directly on the floor. Nothing ever fell off a floor.
12-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Lots of my gear sits directly on the floor. Nothing ever fell off a floor.
I've had a couple things fall off a second floor... didn't make out too well. Luckily none of them were lenses
12-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
This is why I have a WR kit lens in the mail, and will be using it when snowshoeing.
Is the WR kit moisture resistant even when not mounted to the camera?

Steve
12-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
yes it is, on all but one side, it has the same properties as a cup. One side to let liquid in and the rest to keep it there

dorp any weather resistant camera or lens into the snow when not mounted and you have just as much problem, if not more, than a non sealed unit because once inside there is no way to let the water out
12-30-2009, 01:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I drop my Da12-24 while changing lens, it was due to that stupid lens hood mounted on reverse. thankfully it didn't fell that high enough to cause a significant impact. the best thing, it landed on a soft cushioned chair.

moral of the story:
1.> never remove a lens while a lens hood is attached in reverse.
12-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I drop my Da12-24 while changing lens, it was due to that stupid lens hood mounted on reverse. thankfully it didn't fell that high enough to cause a significant impact. the best thing, it landed on a soft cushioned chair.

moral of the story:
1.> never remove a lens while a lens hood is attached in reverse.
I have the same problem with my FA 35/2. It is a pain to remove it each time I change lenses, but much better than the risk of dropping!

Steve
12-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
The point is to use the WR resistant lens, MOUNTED on the camera, in risky situations. My Sigma 17-70 will still be a better lens, and will remain my most used zoom, but when I have doubts about the atmospheric conditions, I will us the WR lens. Just plan ahead and you'll be safe.