Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are all pentax 50/1.7 lenses the same?

I love my A50/1.7. It's magical OOC with amazing color rendition and depth. I make sure to tell people I just press the button, the lens does the rest.

I love my DA40/2.8. Easy to use/hand the camera off to someone (AF), takes great crispy "snapshots" from every aperture, but pretty much idiotproof if fixed at 5.6 or greater.

Would a FA50/1.7 (because of the AF) give me the "hand off" ability of the DA40 and still retain the depth/rendition of the A50/1.7?

Right now, I'm treating the 40 as the always mounted, walkaround lens and the 50 as the "oh I'm special, gonna take some pictures" lens.

12-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The same, 6 elements in 5 groups...

Pentax Normal Prime Lenses
12-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I didn't see anything in the chart that says the same quantity of magic pixie dust is sprinkled in the FA as there is in the A.
12-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't know about the magic pixie dust, but I get better results from my FA50/1.7 vs. my M50/1.7 solely because I can't MF to save my life.

12-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah MF is not as fun with the AF lenses, the rings are small and towards the front of the lens. I believe the magic pixie dust you speak of is there...they are all SMC coated.
12-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Yeah MF is not as fun with the AF lenses, the rings are small and towards the front of the lens. I believe the magic pixie dust you speak of is there...they are all SMC coated.
I meant I can't MF with the M50/1.7 to save my life. It's probably a function of what I am trying to shoot with it (usually a 3-year old who never stops moving). I can imagine MF with the FA being that much tougher than the M.
12-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I meant I can't MF with the M50/1.7 to save my life. It's probably a function of what I am trying to shoot with it (usually a 3-year old who never stops moving). I can imagine MF with the FA being that much tougher than the M.
MF with the stock focus screen is a real pain at wider apertures. For various reasons, it is simply difficult to do fine focusing. The precision just is not there. As for stopping the action of a 3-year old...I understand that rope and/or a net helps

Steve
12-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have heard that Pentax continually updated their SMC over time, but I doubt anyone would notice if there was a difference

12-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
MF with the stock focus screen is a real pain at wider apertures. For various reasons, it is simply difficult to do fine focusing. The precision just is not there. As for stopping the action of a 3-year old...I understand that rope and/or a net helps

Steve
AF with 50 at f1.7 with the size of Pentax af cross sensors is not the easiest either. One of the main reasons for me getting split screen and later K55/1.8.

Annyway, I have F50/1.7. And it's rendering is nearly as good as that of DA40. Those two have distinctively different colours though, if left for AWB.
Opticaly all K55s and 50/1.7 should be the same. But I've read few times users saying one generation being better than other. I'd say, keep your special lens and put the money towards something else.