Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Question about DAL 18-55mm

eWhile at the local camera shop trying out the K-x. I first tried it with the DAL 18-55 lightweight lens.

The on that was on the camera didn't seem to "quick-shift" focus very easily. Almost like it didn't have the feature.

Bad Lens???

or

Normal way for it to operate?

TIA

Ed

12-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #2

I belive the L version does not have the quick shift focus. Optically the same as version II, but plastic mount, no shade, and no QS focus are the dropped features.
12-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
I belive the L version does not have the quick shift focus. Optically the same as version II, but plastic mount, no shade, and no QS focus are the dropped features.
Yes, no QS for the DA L version. And be aware of hard rotating the focus ring may cause the damage of your motor focus.
12-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
Yup! All of the above to keep it (lens) and the K-x affordable.

12-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. That answers my question. That was the first experience I'd had with the DAL series.

I think, however, when I'm ready to buy the K-x to compliment my K20D that I'll buy the Body only.

Wonder if anyone has experience the the DA 18-55 WR?????
12-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Thanks all. That answers my question. That was the first experience I'd had with the DAL series.

I think, however, when I'm ready to buy the K-x to compliment my K20D that I'll buy the Body only.

Wonder if anyone has experience the the DA 18-55 WR?????
The WR is well-build and just like version II optically; I believe it does have quick-shift. Remember that you can always refer to our lens review database for tech specs on Pentax lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Makes sense as long as the body only option is cheaper. Recently, due to holiday sales, the price of the body+lens has dropped under that of the body only option. So make sure to check both options when you decide to get the camera. Also, I think the body only option is currently only available for black - keep that in mind in case you want a different color.

12-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The WR is well-build and just like version II optically; I believe it does have quick-shift. Remember that you can always refer to our lens review database for tech specs on Pentax lenses.
I've got the WR and it does have quick shift and seems to be as sharp as my previous non WR version. I also like the rubber grips which are a bit thinner and better looking than the bulky rubber grips on the non-WR.
01-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Bought today, a bit disappointed with the lens, I had this notion that the WR was standard (So I'll use the Mk II with the K-x instad of the DAL). Also didn't really realise how much was "cut" from this model (I have a K200D) and am now thinking I won't sell the K200D, but rather will use both at different times.
01-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Not sure where you got the idea that WR was standard, but it isn't. There are three current versions of the 18-55, and only the one specifically labeled WR is in fact WR. The one that comes with the K-x is the "DA L" version that lacks quickshift, the metal mount, and the hood; the one that came with the K200D (the "DA II" version) has those features but still lacks WR. The three versions are optically identical, however.
01-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not sure where you got the idea that WR was standard, but it isn't.
Me neither, and I noticed Perhaps it was wishful thinking. anyhoo, not to worry, lets see how this little thing goes.