Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
Advice/Opinion - Which 50's to sell?

Through a series of 2nd-hand film camera body purchases over recent months I have accumulated the following list of Pentax 50mm lenses. Assume my film bodies stay as in my sig. and my hobbyist film style objectives are (family/friends) Portrait; Street; Minimalist/Art (Color & B&W); Landscape/Nature. I have no goals to print for sale, but eventually would print and frame for gifts.

I have my own opinions, but I am interested in yours.

Which of these lenses would you sell, leaving a reasonable lens list without purpose overlap. I would consider using the FA50 as a manual lens on a film body.

Unless noted all are in KEH EXC or VG condition, with caps.

Auto-Takumar 1:1.8 f=55mm (won't sell - have a "K" it goes with)
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:1.4/50mm
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.4 50mm (few slight coating specks)
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm (2x)
smc PENTAX-A 1:1.4 50mm
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm

Tamron SP 35-80mm F/2.8-3.8 #01A
smc PENTAX-A ZOOM 1:3.5 35~105mm


Last edited by monochrome; 12-30-2009 at 01:47 PM.
12-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm
I would keep this one for digital.

smc PENTAX-M 1:1.4 50mm
I would keep the M 1.4 for film, because it is better mechanically compared to the A.
And you will get more money for the A.
12-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Treviso (Italy)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 87
Sell:
A 50/1.4
M 50/1.4
Takumar 50/1.4

Never sell:
K 55/1.8
M 50/1.7
FA 50/1.4
12-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,235
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm
I would keep this one for digital.

smc PENTAX-M 1:1.4 50mm
I would keep the M 1.4 for film, because it is better mechanically compared to the A.
And you will get more money for the A.
+1

And...keep the S-M-C Tak 50/1.4 for whatever other M42 film body is hanging around...too good to let go.

And you can send the SP 35-80 to me

Steve

12-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
Fess up, is that all the 50 to 58mm lenses you have?
12-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Fess up, is that all the 50 to 58mm lenses you have?
Well, those are all the ones that have either Pentax or Tamron on the beauty ring
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
+1

And...keep the S-M-C Tak 50/1.4 for whatever other M42 film body is hanging around...too good to let go.

And you can send the SP 35-80 to me

Steve
What's that saying about cold, dead fingers?
12-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
You only need one 50mm lens. My vote for the FA 50mm f/1.4.

12-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,235
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You only need one 50mm lens. My vote for the FA 50mm f/1.4.
Spoil sport...

Steve

(Has almost as many 50s as fingers...)
12-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You only need one 50mm lens. My vote for the FA 50mm f/1.4.
Ah, a traditionalist!

Tempting to simplify - 28/50/100 is all the kit one needs.
12-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #11
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
Original Poster
Thank you all who have commented so far - FWIW, here are my ideas:

Sure, I only "need" 1 50, but I like to play with this stuff.

Auto-Tak 55/1.8 Zebra stays with the Asahi K
S-M-C T50/1.4 stays - user M42
M50/1.7 stays - sharp, M lens
FA50/1.4 stays because - well because it is what it is

Everything else goes due to overlap.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Which of these lenses would you sell, leaving a reasonable lens list without purpose overlap. I would consider using the FA50 as a manual lens on a film body.

Unless noted all are in KEH EXC or VG condition, with caps.

Auto-Takumar 1:1.8 f=55mm (won't sell - have a "K" it goes with)
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:1.4/50mm
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.4 50mm (few slight coating specks)
smc PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm (2x)
smc PENTAX-A 1:1.4 50mm
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm

Tamron SP 35-80mm F/2.8-3.8 #01A
smc PENTAX-A ZOOM 1:3.5 35~105mm
12-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thank you all who have commented so far - FWIW, here are my ideas:

Sure, I only "need" 1 50, but I like to play with this stuff.

Auto-Tak 55/1.8 Zebra stays with the Asahi K
S-M-C T50/1.4 stays - user M42
M50/1.7 stays - sharp, M lens
FA50/1.4 stays because - well because it is what it is

Everything else goes due to overlap.
I knew you were holding out. :Hysterical: If you were to separate that "Zebra" from its matched lens, I may have to come up there and shine my shoes! (or at the very least shine yours.)
12-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
Original Poster
Zebra 55/1.8

You know me too well. A shoe shine costs $8 at the airport.

Early Pentaxes were never an intentional part of my hobby until I had the Sightseer, then woof started culling extras (CBA at its extreme). This is a particularly clean example and if I had to sell every camera but one, this would stay (although selling the KX would really hurt).

Unsaid in my lens query - the M50/1.7 will eventually be replaced by a K55/1.8 if a particularly clean one comes along.

Also unsaid, but since today marks the end of a decade: I will liquidate a very significant protion of my camera gear next year . . . .

Post significantly less to discussion threads . . . .

And post a lot more to photo threads (meaning take a lot more pictures)

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I knew you were holding out. :Hysterical: If you were to separate that "Zebra" from its matched lens, I may have to come up there and shine my shoes! (or at the very least shine yours.)
12-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thank you all who have commented so far - FWIW, here are my ideas:

Sure, I only "need" 1 50, but I like to play with this stuff.

Auto-Tak 55/1.8 Zebra stays with the Asahi K
S-M-C T50/1.4 stays - user M42
M50/1.7 stays - sharp, M lens
FA50/1.4 stays because - well because it is what it is

Everything else goes due to overlap.
If you don't need/want the FA, sell it. If you might want it someday, keep it since I assume you paid less than it's going for now.

I would also sell the Tak, personally. I'm not an M42 user on a regular basis...

Or sell the FA and keep the M since f/1.4 just has its own look.

Otherwise, that list you have is what I'd do
12-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
Original Poster
TYVM

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Otherwise, that list you have is what I'd do
Thanks Ryan. FWIW at least MY copy of the S-M-C T50/1.4 produces a 3D effect that I cannot obtain from any other lens. And it is fun. The FA50/1.4 I will keep for now. It was made in Japan.

I use the 35/2 as my standard lens on dSLR and low light film wide.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, body, film, k-mount, lens, lenses, list, pentax lens, pentax-a, pentax-m, print, slr lens, smc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50mm 1.2...to sell or not to sell? That is the question. RT1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 38 06-03-2013 04:13 PM
Film camera bodies - CLA then sell, or sell as is? SOldBear Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 10-27-2009 04:18 PM
Sell or not sell, that is the question Taff Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 10-06-2009 06:19 AM
To sell, or not to sell... that is the question. rpriedhorsky Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 06-02-2009 10:23 PM
Advice on best way to sell scottax1 Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 05-25-2009 10:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top