Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 17-70: Your opinions?

Hello.

I was given a Pentax k-x body for Christmas ( ), I already have two lenses for it SMC-M 50mm f2, and SMC-A 50mm f1.7 left over from my K1000 and A3. As I'm spending my money on learning to drive at the moment I can't afford anything else. In a couple of months I should have enough money for a reasonable lens. I've heard people say the Sigma 17-70 is a fairly decent lens for the money, but I really don't know a lot about it. If you could offer some advice over this lens it would be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year!

12-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

From my short experience using it
Plus
- Great range for walkaround lens
- Extremely versatile. I mostly did landscape with it.
- Decent image quality
- Fairly inexpensive comparing to the other alternatives
Minus
- There are some bad copies out there
- Zoom creep a bit
- Noticeable distortion at the lowest focal lengths
- Not constant aperture (It change from the highest to lowest fairly quick thru the range)

If you are shooting for fun or just beginning with photography, it's a great lens to have. View pictures taken with it on flickr: sigma 17-70 pentax - Flickr: Search and search previous thread on the forum which will provide you with plenty of information about the lens and sample shots.

Happy shooting and Happy New Year
12-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used it on K100D, K10D and finally on K20D.
It never failed my expectations.
I love that lens and I believe you will also like it.
Its maximum aperture is 2.8, hence a brighter viewfinder...
Its range extends to 70mm, hence it covers most of the portrait range...
It allows closer focus. so you can shoot quasi-macro photos.
It is sturdy enough.
Vignetting is noticeable (though, not disturbing) only in its <20mm setting.
It is not that BIG.

And the below are the cons!:
It is not the best lens out there!
It is not the cheapest lens of its kind.
It is not an f/2.8 lens throughout its range.
Its tele end does not reach 100mm and 135mm and ...

Seriously though, probably no zoom can deliver results (under certain conditions) as a good prime.

Sigma 17-70mm is certainly a good general purpose zoom lens.

Happy shooting in 2010
12-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

'Hinman's blog has some entrys covering the Sigma 17-70.
Hin's Tech Corner: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 As Walk-Around Lens

In general, the Sigma is considered a good lens for overall use. Quite sharp, good close-up-ability and cheap. I've also understood that the main problems is build quality and flare resistance.

Buy it if you get a good deal, but wait a bit to see how the new 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS fares in tests, if not to get an "old" f/2.8-4.5 cheap.

12-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Also, consider Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. It's constant f/2.8 and it's sharp, wide open.

Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (Canon) - Review / Test Report
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your comments everyone! I think I'm going to wait and see what this new Sigma 17-70 turns out like, f4 at 70mm would be great!

Asdf, thanks for the advice on the Tammy. I bet it's great, but I really use the 50-70mm range a lot. Shame, because I'd love a constant aperture on a lens.
12-31-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Convert: If you could offer some advice over this lens it would be greatly appreciated.
You have lots of good advice here, and you can get more @ our lens review section here: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO (AF Lens)

You will find 19 reviews to read there--Best!

01-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
tux
Forum Member

I got one as a kit lens...it was about $140 more than the pentax KX with the standard 18-55mm lens. I think it was money well spent although I have not used the 18-55mm kit lens. I have taken some really nice shots with it & having F2.8 is handy. Also the macro is really handy & you can do extreme close ups, like it can focus on an object at around 10cm from the glass.

I just wish it was fixed at F2.8 but then I guess it would be much more expensive.
01-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tux Quote
I got one as a kit lens...it was about $140 more than the pentax KX with the standard 18-55mm lens. I think it was money well spent although I have not used the 18-55mm kit lens.
If i had my time again ... this is what I should have done .... it would have been the best way to do it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
01-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
Thanks so much for your comments everyone! I think I'm going to wait and see what this new Sigma 17-70 turns out like, f4 at 70mm would be great!

Asdf, thanks for the advice on the Tammy. I bet it's great, but I really use the 50-70mm range a lot. Shame, because I'd love a constant aperture on a lens.
Then get a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Its a constant aperture and sharp also.
01-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sigma 17-70

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
Hello.

I was given a Pentax k-x body for Christmas ( ), I already have two lenses for it SMC-M 50mm f2, and SMC-A 50mm f1.7 left over from my K1000 and A3. As I'm spending my money on learning to drive at the moment I can't afford anything else. In a couple of months I should have enough money for a reasonable lens. I've heard people say the Sigma 17-70 is a fairly decent lens for the money, but I really don't know a lot about it. If you could offer some advice over this lens it would be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year!
It's a good lens with a useful range. Make sure you get a good one though (my first two copies weren't). Be aware also that it's neither light nor compact, and has a much larger front element than the normal kit lens, which can make it intimidating for strangers you aim it at in the street. As an avid traveller I find it a heavy lump to have on the camera all day. You might try to handle one before you commit yourself. Slightly negates the compactness which is one of the appealing things about the KX.

Tim
01-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
Be aware also that it's neither light nor compact, and has a much larger front element than the normal kit lens, which can make it intimidating for strangers you aim it at in the street. As an avid traveller I find it a heavy lump to have on the camera all day. You might try to handle one before you commit yourself. Slightly negates the compactness which is one of the appealing things about the KX.
Good point. The problem isn't only the diamater: It applies to any giant zoom lens hanging off your face. Just compare DA 70 with the Sigma 17-70 fully extended to 70mm...or any zoom that extends.
01-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The new version looks great indeed, even though you loose some macro abilities. But even with the "current" version, you get an amazing bang for the buck. With your A50 f1,7 and the Siggy, you will have a very good starting point to build a peformant kit. Depending on when the new version is released (and its price point) it might not be required to wait... better getting a lens and taking pictures now

For the record, after almost two years my copy still has no zoom creep, nor any physical degradation at all. It's an excellent performer, usable wide open. It's my go-to lens for most "general purpose" situations. My fast prime covers low light, my tele... tele photography, my macro covers macro... but the siggy does a bit of everything.
01-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #14
Inactive Account

It's my main walk around lens and I love it. If you'd like to see lots of pictures taken with one on a K10D, go to:
briantimmins's photos and albums on webshots
and check out the albums of B&B Wedding and Italy-Greece07. Almost every shot in those albums were taken with one (there might be some DA21Ltd's in B&B Wedding also).

I'll agree that it's not THE best lens out there, but as a "kit" lens, it fills the need very nicely.
03-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I wanted to replace my DA 18-55 AL2, but look at this:

Sigma 17-70:
Flickr Photo Download: Austin From Boston
Flickr Photo Download: A.C.
Flickr Photo Download: Otters!

Pentax 18-55:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6813788...66860/sizes/l/
Flickr Photo Download: Besuch in Frankenthal #04 2007/08/25
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bslavin...38557/sizes/l/

Beside the aperature and the focal lenght it isn't any better then the kit lens