Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA*50-135mm f2.8 Just got it

Today I got my new DA*50-135 f2.8 and got my K7 2 days ago. What a package. The lens seems to be all and more than I expected. Pictures are sharp (not a good vibrant day for out door shots - dull and every thing is snow covered) I tried to attach a photo but no luck. When focsing ther is very little sound. Fins and locks on to the target really quick. Faster than the Tamron.

Scrolled down to Manage attachments. added a pic to the browser clicked up load after a bit message came up can't process because security token was missing. Don't know what the is can someone help? Also tried Insert picture asks for my URL and http what is that?

I have been using a *stDL for the past 4-5 years with the kit lens and mostly a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 as my every day lens. Will still use the Tamron but the DA* is really sharp. I like it because I can put my singray polorizers & my conkin on the end. The zoom is plenty long enough if I need longer I canpull out my old Pentax FA 100-300 zoom. I treied it on the new K7 actually got a sharp pic of a squirrel at 300zoom that was hand held the anti-shake really works wonders.

I generally added a little contrast on my *stDs do most of you add a little on the K7? What other settings do you generally set?

My only gripe with Pentax's Operator Manual is that there are no examples as to what all these settings are for what is a "toy camera" who would use it and why?

I'm rambling so it's your turn

12-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Congrats! I dreamed about mine last night which I sold a couple months ago. I plan on getting another one next month. It's one of those zooms that will make you forget about getting prime lenses.

As for the attachment problem, I've never used it but I'm sure someone else can help you with that. Alternately, you can just upload the picture on another site such as flickr, imageshack, etc and use one of those IMG tags to show it in the post.

Happy shooting and post some pictures up!
12-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

regarding image uploads

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-read-first-how-post-up...de-images.html

cheers

Neil
12-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
I tried to attach an image again but same message will send you a seperate message

12-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
I'll try again to attach a photo. This is a boring shot but it was taken yesterday with my brand new K7 and DA* 50-135 f2.8 lens. It has been such a grey day and today we are getting some light snow. With a white snow and grey sky the contrasts are pretty bland.

Any comments
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hmm well you did shoot at 1/800s which is too fast for any blurring to happen if you werent having a seizure. It looks like it could be a focusing problem, most probably from the lens. You should try taking some test images of the exact same things at different aperture settings so we can see. Also you could try utilizing the AF adjust the K-7 has and see if it could do any help.
12-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #7

That photo is not sharp... show us a photo from the lens that you consider sharp. 100% crop, please. Aperture / Shutter / ISO would be good too.

These aren't prize winning shots, but they demonstrate the 50-135mm sharpness. It truly is amazing.

In my opinion, you should do something like this with your photo - it'll add a level of mystery to it, i suppose? - you could even make the trees darker and the snow lighter to increase it:

Last edited by erickallemeyn; 12-31-2009 at 05:56 PM.
12-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
I'll try again to attach a photo. This is a boring shot but it was taken yesterday with my brand new K7 and DA* 50-135 f2.8 lens. It has been such a grey day and today we are getting some light snow. With a white snow and grey sky the contrasts are pretty bland.

Any comments
Sorry, but the shooting conditions are not to blame here. There's plenty of contrast and colour to be found, your settings were just inappropriate for the scene. And the picture is terribly blurry, especially for a K7 w/ DA* 50-135mm.

Since there's so much snow and bright sky, you need to increase your EV compensation to get the snow looking more white. It looks dreadfully gray in that shot. Your camera's metering is severely under-exposing the shot because there's so much white, so it's up to you to correct it before taking the picture. Try reviewing the pictures you take with the histogram visible, and increase the EV compensation until the resulting picture gives you a histogram that's *almost* clipped on the right side, but not quite. That'll typically give you much whiter snow.

I love winter photography because it's a bigger challenge to get the image I want, but when I succeed, it's incredibly satisfying.

12-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #9

Google the "zone system" by Ansel Adams.

Here's a perfect example - David Plowden was a master of it: Blacks are black and snow is bright white, you can tell it was a gray day out too.

12-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Take this shot for example. I took this with the kit lens, not even a fancy schmancy DA* 50-135mm

In the histogram, this picture runs the gamut from 1 to 254. A HUGE chunk of the whites are at 200-254, but not one of them is clipped. So not only is the snow as white as it looked to the naked eye, you can still make out all of its texture. Meanwhile, the sky looks blue, and the trees look green. I'm not saying this is an awesome technical picture, it's just a good example of how to get snow looking white even with "dreary" scenes. I didn't even have any filter on the lens for this. It's just the bare K7 with a bare kit lens.

A full size of this picture is available here, if you want to examine the histogram of the original:
Picasa Web Albums - GoremanX
just click the magnifying glass icon to see it or download it in full size
01-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #11

Original Poster
Got your note. This was not a great image. Was just standing beside the car for the pic. Mostly wanted to see if I could up load the pic. Worked ok. Here is another pic the church door. will experement som more today. The camera and lense combination are all new to me so I need to do some more images to see what I can accomplish.
Attached Images

01-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Park the car, walk around

congrats on your system add the 16-50 and it should your system for a long time later 200 * ...i'm doing that later after i get the K7 still learning my K200D finally tweaking
01-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Park the car, walk around

congrats on your system add the 16-50 and it should your system for a long time later 200 * ...i'm doing that later after i get the K7 still learning my K200D finally tweaking
I agree.. it a great combo. The 16-50 is my most used lens.

Cheers

Neil
01-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #14

Original Poster
My walk about lens is a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 it's a great lens only objection if the zoom creeps easily when pointing down. For wider angles The Pentax kit lens is great.