Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I own a DA*16-50 F2.8 already and to go with a 14mm might be a little too close to the 16mm of the DA* but I would assume that the DA 14mm, being a prime lens, would have better IQ, just a thought. The DA 15 Ltd would also be a good pick, however, again, being very close to the DA*16-50.
So, really, I am now almost decided to go for the DA 12-24 F4. I don't want this to be a "rush purchase" and I want to be sure that I will be getting good glass and IQ for the price.
Because there doesn't seem to be anything out there that would also be full frame, at those focals, I might as well go for it. There will be this Samyung 14/2.8 but the "beta" tests are not really convincing. Maybe when the final version comes out ??

JP

01-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i got the 10-17 before they're gone, i know..i know CA and all
01-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Marc, which lens are you talking about ... was it the Pentax DA 14 f/2.8
Yes. It generally sells for around $700 (US), just like the DA12-24. Not sure where you've been seeing higher prices, but B&H is normally the first place one should look. They are probably the largest Pentax dealer in the US, and their prices are are always among the lowest (although of course occasionally someone with a lesser reputation will offer a slightly better deal on some specific product).

QuoteQuote:
Which of the two would you REALLY go for?
Me? Neither - I got the DA15, as I valued the *much* smaller size more than any advantages the 14 or 12-24 had to offer.
01-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes. It generally sells for around $700 (US), just like the DA12-24. Not sure where you've been seeing higher prices, but B&H is normally the first place one should look. They are probably the largest Pentax dealer in the US, and their prices are are always among the lowest (although of course occasionally someone with a lesser reputation will offer a slightly better deal on some specific product).

Me? Neither - I got the DA15, as I valued the *much* smaller size more than any advantages the 14 or 12-24 had to offer.
I got those prices from Henry's and another store ... I posted the links to that effect.
For the smaller size, I can see your point, but I sure don't mind a "heavier" lens. It doesn't really bother me to carry heavy stuff around.

Have a Happy New Year.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 01-01-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling
01-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes. It generally sells for around $700 (US), just like the DA12-24. Not sure where you've been seeing higher prices
only in Canada, Marc. the pricejacking here is just unbelievable. the only sensible price that you could find would be shopping across the border or at your local craigslist network. so does our telecom industry is pricejacked or involved in some sort of a cartel. I hope that the Big 3 that are in cahoots with each other get a major beating this year from new competition.
01-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
only in Canada, Marc. the pricejacking here is just unbelievable. the only sensible price that you could find would be shopping across the border or at your local craigslist network. so does our telecom industry is pricejacked or involved in some sort of a cartel. I hope that the Big 3 that are in cahoots with each other get a major beating this year from new competition.
Couldn't agree more on your statement, Pentaxor.
Those prices here sure are a scam of some sort, given the fact that our dollar is within only 10% of the US dollar.
This "free trade" stuff is for the birds!

JP
01-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Sorry, got my posts my crossed; I thought I responding to someone posting from Chicago.