Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
I'm spoiled by an old canon 50mm on my A1.
If you liked the 50mm on film you may want to try finding a Super Tak 35mm f2.0. It'll be pretty close to what your used to.
there's a good chance that any 35mm f2 Super tak you'll find has yellow elements, however this can be easily cured with some tinfoil wrapped around the lens... except for teh front element, then leaving it in the window. UV rays usually clear the condition up.

12-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

I just bought one on ebay. I'll try to put a picture here. It has a flange though, but it appears that it will embed the threads into the camera. I"ll see...

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  39.9 KB

hope that worked...
12-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #18

Original Poster
I'll try to put a picture here of the one I bought. It appears though that it doesn't embed the threads in deep enough. I just bought the one off ebay, and bid on it before I read all that you guys posted, so I'll just have to hope that one works. I'll just order one from the Pentax Web Store.

This looks like one of those things that I'll just have to get by experience. I may end up purchasing things that don't work, but maybe I'll get lucky. I'll let everyone know how it works.

Thanks again...
12-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll try to put a picture here of the one I bought. It appears though that it doesn't embed the threads in deep enough. I just bought the one off ebay, and bid on it before I read all that you guys posted, so I'll just have to hope that one works. I'll just order one from the Pentax Web Store.

This looks like one of those things that I'll just have to get by experience. I may end up purchasing things that don't work, but maybe I'll get lucky. I'll let everyone know how it works.

Thanks again...
I have an extra brand new Japanese Pentax OEM m42-K adapter (IOW, the real thing) that came with a camera I bought. Before you order from Pentax PM me -

12-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

An M42>K adapter is not something you add to your camera for those rare times you want to use Takumar lenses. An M42>K adapter is something you remove from your camera for those rare times you're forced to use a K-mount lens.

Anybody who thinks it is too much hassle to shoot with Takumars is somebody who wants to have as little involvement with the process and expend as little effort as the folks who shoot everything with their camera phones. Personally, I enjoy the process as much as the output.

There is nothing in the world hard about using them:

1. Camera in Av mode
2. Focus wide open for critical work or
2a. Leave lens at f4 to focus for quick shots in good light
3. Focus
4. Spin aperture ring to shooting aperture
5. Shoot

Get used to it and it feels incredibly odd to use the modern stuff.
12-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I agree with Mike, except when it's COLD. That's when I find that they condensate much easier than the newer plastic lenses.
I've had a camera with a 300mm f4 Super Tak on in -30 temps, stored in a plastic bag for over 20 minutes, and it still condensated.
I've also taken the same setup inside a warm building, from the cold, in a plastic bag. 30 minutes later it was still freezing, so I didn't dare take it out.

However I've had Large, Plastic (with glass elements) lenses out in the same conditions, without any problems. Even at the same time, on different bodies.
01-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I decided it was a pain to keep taking the adaptoer out of the camera body ... so i found a decently priced 2nd hand K10D ... and have now made it my M42-only body .. all i do now is swap M42 lenses on it.
01-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I decided it was a pain to keep taking the adaptoer out of the camera body ... so i found a decently priced 2nd hand K10D ... and have now made it my M42-only body .. all i do now is swap M42 lenses on it.
Thanks for an excuse to get a K7.

01-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Ahhhhh hahahahaha

If i had the cash ... I'd like to replace one of my K10D bodies with a K7 ... just for the extra detail.

I'd use the K7 for that matter for Taks only ... just for the extra detail ... and the use of Liveview as well in some instances.

I have found that a Katzeye focussing screen though in my "manual" K10D has made using Taks even more enjoyable.
01-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #25

Original Poster
Mechan1k, what exactly is a 'Katzeye focussing screen'.

Man, I'm having trouble keeping up with the screw mount dialogue, do I really want to ask about the Katzeye?

Oops, was that out loud?
01-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Katz-Eye is a name brand of aftermarket focusing screen which provides you with things like a split-prism and a microprism collar to assist in manual focusing.....things we used to take for granted but which disappeared with the advent of autofocus. Attempting to do manual focus with the stock autofocus-optimized screen is an exercise in frustration and anyone contemplating doing very much of it would do well to consider replacing the screen. Cheaper Chinese-made alternatives are available via ebay. There are about a zillion threads/posts here on Pentax Forums discussing this six ways from Sunday. The horse has been beaten to death and the remains may be inspected at your leisure through the facility of the search feature.
01-01-2010, 03:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

What it allows you do to is have finer focussing detail through the viewfinder with a split screen ... you can tell when the subject is perfectly in focus. Sometimes the standard screen can be a fraction out ... also the focus markers that pop up in the viewfinder as well aren't pin-point accurate either.

It's more noticeable when trying to focus with a more wider-open aperture ... it makes it easier just to get the focus just right ... I have to rely on my eyes still though.

I did without it for a while ... and as Mike mentioned ... with frustration at times. I eventually bit the bullet and spent the extra $$$ for an actual Katz-eye with the Opti-brite treatment (I got the Rule of Thirds markers as well)

Mike ... very articulate indeed.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 01-01-2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Mr Cash beat me to it.
01-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone.

I just bought one on ebay. I'll try to put a picture here. It has a flange though, but it appears that it will embed the threads into the camera. I"ll see...

Attachment 50614

hope that worked...
This is exactly the kind of adaptor that WILL NOT allow for infinity focus. You see the wide mounting flange? That is the offending part.

Ben
01-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #29

Original Poster
That's what I was afraid of. The reason I purchased the one at my local store, was it was among the 7 remaining Pentax accessories the store has since it stopped carrying Pentax (probably 10 years ago). The Promaster lenses (100-300, and 19-35) make up 4 of the others. They sure have all the C and N accessories though. I'll try and make use of the adapter anyway. I'm good at modifying things...

It's a little frustrating at times when you discover things like the availability of a split screen focusing matte. My Canon A1 has this, and I purchased that in 1980. I rely on the split screen all the time with that camera. It should be standard on newer cameras. It makes sense I guess since Autofocus arrived manual focus took a back seat.

Thanks again gentlemen...
01-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Don't worry ... split screens used to be the norm back in the day for Pentax as well.

The forums though are a good place to look for items you may need ... the Marketplace here is excellent ... and pretty much all the users on here are awesome to deal with (even from over here in Australia I have had no issues).

There's even a Wanted section you can put in a request ... someone may have that item you are after as well ... or you will be pointed in the right direction either way.