Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #1

about this lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hi, i wonder if anybody has any experience with this lens : Peleng 8mm f3.5 Fisheye Lens(seems like one lens to put on my to-buy list) . how does it perform on a k10d ? and so on...

thx !!

06-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the DA fish eye is very nice and a much better buy than the peeleng. if you want cheap russian fish eyes then go for the zenitar instead. That one has its fanbase, the peeleng does not. Altho I cant remember hearing that it was terrible but I cant remember hearing that it was good either.
06-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
zenitar sounds much better in my ears ... how much do they go for on iikbay? have actually not a clue hehehe
06-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly around $130 - $140 new. Just do a google search

06-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
I found it, will see if I can buy this month or not. Do I need an adapter to use with my k10D ?

thx
06-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

The Zenitar is available in two versions for Pentax, the m42 mount and the K mount. As long as you get the K mount it should work like any other manual K mount lens. The m42 version would need an adapter like an other m42 lens.
06-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The seller that many of us have bought our Zenitars from on eBay is called 'zenitar'. His inventory usually has a bunch of Zenitar lenses and russian watches. He charges a flat rate of $20US for shipping.

eBay Store - Poljot orion vostok molnija slava: orion, vostok, molnija

06-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The Peleng 8mm is a 35mm circular fisheye (complete with circular borders). Even with the cropped sensor, these borders will still appear, albiet reduced somewhat.

The Zenitar 16mm is ia fisheye that covers the full frame. On K10D, it will act like a 24mm (some people say more like 22 or even 20mm) with barrel distortion.

Both however are very sharp.
06-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #9

Well, Peleng is quite popular in Russia. Less popular than Zenitar but it is much more special. Take a look at russian fish-eye community for samples:
RU_FISHEYE
for Peleng search cyrillic string "Пеленг" (CAPS) or "пеленг". Just copy the string and search the pages.
here is another set of shots with Peleng, duplicating a bit:
More Peleng
Its a special lens 'cause it gives a full 180 angle at FF. Corners of film, or even APS matrix will be black.
Peleng comes with M42, Nikon or Canon adaptors. Which one could be bought outside the country, really not sure.
Some tech data:
resolves 55 lines per mm in the center, 15 at the border
minimal distance is 0.3 m
weight is 400 gr
06-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rapucha Quote
Well, Peleng is quite popular in Russia. Less popular than Zenitar but it is much more special. Take a look at russian fish-eye community for samples:
RU_FISHEYE
for Peleng search cyrillic string "Пеленг" (CAPS) or "пеленг". Just copy the string and search the pages.
here is another set of shots with Peleng, duplicating a bit:
More Peleng
Its a special lens 'cause it gives a full 180 angle at FF. Corners of film, or even APS matrix will be black.
Peleng comes with M42, Nikon or Canon adaptors. Which one could be bought outside the country, really not sure.
Some tech data:
resolves 55 lines per mm in the center, 15 at the border
minimal distance is 0.3 m
weight is 400 gr
Thanks for the info. It's nice to have someone from Russia also to show pictures taken with lesser-known brands elsewhere. Personally, I'm always on the lookout for pleasant surprises, like the Kiron 28-100 I bought and found no info elsewhere on the net.

Where can we buy some of that Peleng lenses?