Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
different series lens caps?

so,
in December I have purchased 3 lenses. All Pentax branded but all 2nd hand. 2 were K series (24/2.8 and 55/1.8) and FA135. Now that adds to collection as you see in my sig.
All in all 2 Ks, 1F, 1FA, 1FAltd, 1DAltd. They all came with some caps (the front ones, I'm not too bothered with the rear ones), but I'd love to get the "original" caps for them. Now I'm sure about caps for the 31&40 ltds (ain't I clever ), I know what should be on FA135 (or at least I assume it's the same style cap as on early DA series, flat with slight grooves from one end to another in the same direction as the "push flaps" 31526 Pentax 49mm Front Lens Cap)
but how do the original caps for F and K series look like? While at it, images (or good descriptions) of all (K, M, A, F) pre FA series caps would be really helpful.
Any/all help appreciated...

BR
Peter

12-31-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not completely sure but I think F-series lenses use same cap as on FA-series.

K, M and A-series lenses use an older design with "Asahi Pentax" and (later) "Pentax" text in silver on them.

I have also seen a type of cap in soft plastic that is only hold in place by friction. Got it with a M 50/2 so maybe it was only used for budget lenses.
12-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Axl,

I can only give information about the A series: I have 1 A lens and it has exactly the same front cap as the one you linked to.
I bought it new, so it should be the original.

No experience with K, M or F, though.

Oh, and the Takumar (M42) has a push on cap, not unlike what you find on the Ltd's.
12-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
but how do the original caps for F and K series look like? While at it, images (or good descriptions) of all (K, M, A, F) pre FA series caps would be really helpful.
Any/all help appreciated...
BR
Peter
Peter: Aha! A new micro-hobby for someone on the Forum - study and collection of Pentax Lens Caps!! Do we need a Pentax Lens Caps Database?

KEH is a good source of clean caps, but their shipping and handling charge makes buying one-at-a-time prohibitive. If you are getting a lens there, buy ALL your caps at the same time. Sometimes B&M stores have a drawer filled with caps that you can rifle through. I could swear there is a secondary market for these caps since some sellers NEVER market a lens with original caps. I have to guess the caps are worth $5 each, but you get no value when you sell them with the lens.

In general I can tell you that most of the original K-series lenses had an all-black, pinch buttons cap. The Pentax letters were smooth, and raised above a sculpted, wavy field.

I say generally becuase some of the K series lenses (135/2.5 is an example) continued in manufacture unchanged, save for use of the "new" M-style lens cap. For some of the anal-retentive amongst us, putting an old-style cap on a post-M dated lens might be heresy.

Also, some of the rarer K series lenses such as (fisheye, 15mm and 500 and 1000 mm, and probably others) used the original metal takumar-style caps from the screwmount era.

The M-style (continued through the A period) was flat black field with raised white letters. This cap is very recognizable to most Pentax legacy lens users.

There are some odd variants including a soft plastic push-on version of the M-style cap. I have no idea what brief period or lens that cap was issued for, but I have owned a second-hand lens or two that had it.

I'll try to post pictures of all the different style of cap I own tonight.

12-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm, what can I add to this already comprehensive list?

All I know about the push-on plastics caps is that I see them with plastic-era camera kits (P-series cameras, for example). So, those came on A lenses...at least the 50mm "kit" lenses.
12-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...I could swear there is a secondary market for these caps since some sellers NEVER market a lens with original caps. I have to guess the caps are worth $5 each, but you get no value when you sell them with the lens...
I admit to being one of these sellers. It's nice to get a new lens and have the correct cap for it. After I use them, they always get mixed up.

I think this represents all the types I have. I know I don't have them all:

Three types of metal caps. They have a felt strip inside and fit on the outside of the filter threads with friction. The center one is from an Auto-Takumar. It should be all silver but is worn. I think there are at least two other lettering styles for the black ones.

Four types of plastic caps. Bottom right is a K style, from my 135/2.5. Top left is the rubber slip-on discussed above. Top right is an M style with Asahi included. Bottom right is the cap from my v.1 kit lens. I have seen this type on F lenses a lot.
12-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here is three more type of caps I have. (except for caps on Limited lenses)
- The latest version that comes with newest DA lenses.
- An old metal "Asahi Pentax" with different font, came with an Super-Takumar 55/1.8, but don't know if it is the original one with this lens.
- A plastic with only "Pentax", came with M 100/4 Macro.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Here is three more type of caps I have. (except for caps on Limited lenses)
- The latest version that comes with newest DA lenses.
- An old metal "Asahi Pentax" with different font, came with an Super-Takumar 55/1.8, but don't know if it is the original one with this lens.
- A plastic with only "Pentax", came with M 100/4 Macro.
I have two of those on the bottom right.
One came with my F50/1.7 and one with my K24/2.8
01-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just to add my tiny bit of confusion to things: As I understand it, the rubber slip on caps were commonly included with 50mm lenses starting late in M lens production to very early in F lens production.
01-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I admit to being one of these sellers. It's nice to get a new lens and have the correct cap for it. After I use them, they always get mixed up.

I think this represents all the types I have. I know I don't have them all:

Well, since the pictures are already posted, here goes:

Top left - the mysterious push-on cap commented above. The two I have came with an M100/2.8 and and M50/1.7, but I can't say they are original to those lenses.

Top Right: The ubiquitous M through A series cap.

Bottom Left: The original K-series plastic cap, probably discontinued in 1977 around the time the K-series lenses changed from SMC to smc on the beauty ring, coincident with introduction of the M lenses.

Bottom Right: Generally, the F and FA lens cap.

Obviously, there are exceptions to any rule and following posters will point them out - information in the members' memories here is amazing!
01-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If the top right is the M & A cap, how about bottom right in Fogel70's post (#7). I have two of those...