Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Best test for new lenses

Moved to lens section.

Last edited by gfmucci; 12-31-2009 at 06:40 PM.
12-31-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gfmucci Quote
I just sprung for a couple of lenses: Pentax 12-24 and 55-300. I thought "why wait" while the dollar still has some value. They should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, what is the best test to make sure these lenses are a good match for my K100D?
i think it's is obvious

go out and take tons of photos.

seing how they perform in the real world is more useful than anything else. Take some shots look at them critically then test if you feel it is warranted
12-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Best test for new lenses

I just sprung for a couple of new Pentax lenses: 12-24 and 55-300.

Other than taking tons of photos, are there specific tests that get to the essence quickly of whether these lenses are a good copies for my K100D?

e.g. depth of field/focus test. Any others?

Does the K100d have a focus fine tuning buried in the menu to correct fron or back focus issues?
12-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Or, you could do a focus test to make sure the optics are satisfactory.

12-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K100D will not permit you to make any adjustments for FF/BF lenses.
Just go ahead and push the lenses to their limits in aperture (wide open vs stopped down) and extremes of focal length in scenes with a good tonal range. Have a look at centre and edge sharpness as well as colours and contrast rendition.

This all just comes with shooting lots of shots with these lenses.
12-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi gfmucci,

I have to agree with Ash and Lowell -- go out and shoot the lenses a bunch. I've BTDT with focus and resolution charts, and for me, they have just muddied up my mind with unwarranted worries. With my K20, I initially micro-adjusted a bunch of lenses, then went out to shoot them, eventually finding that I got the best results in actual use by returning most of the adjustments to zero. There are only a couple of lenses (out of quite a few!) that actually had focusing issues (minor ones), and my initial adjustments from the tests with these didn't match the final settings.

Obviously, my methodology in testing them was faulty. . . but I was careful, followed directions to the letter, and took my time (wasted it, actually), and was confident that I'd gotten everything spot on . . . until I took the camera and lenses and tried to actually use them.

Bottom line, when I got the K-7, I just assumed all of my lenses would work correctly, and went out and shot the body -- a lot. Again, I have only made a few adjustments, and only when I saw repeated focus errors in the field.

Scott
Closed Thread