Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Normpixel Quote
I may be in the "wrong" thread but (hey!) I'm a NEW MEMBER so what do I know? Anyway I've got a 55mm Ricoh AUTO RIKENON f1.4 screw mount. It takes 55mm filters, stops down to f16 and has an A/M switch (selector)... it actually looks a lot like the "early" Takumars. Since I "don't shoot film much any more" (some on PentaxForums think that I should!), I haven't used it in a while. I haven't had any auto diaphragm pin "issues" because I use(d) it with a "K" adaptor on Pentax K mount bodies. The serial number is 304682 (if "that's a clue"!) and I just wondered where it "fit" in the Ricoh/Rikenon "line-up" AND how it compared to all the 50mm Rikenons...
Mechanically it has that "quality feel"; smooth focus, good "click stop" diaphragm ring action.
I spotted it in a pawn shop (quite a few years ago) for "next to nothing" (they figured it was obsolete because it didn't fit any camera that they had ever seen).
Thanks for listening and/or "helping"! ...Normpixel...
I have this lens. I bought it for the same reasons as you. I don't use it a lot because I have so many other 55s, and I tend to reach for other ones first, such as the close but not identical Mamiya next to it. I plan to test these some day to see how they compare.

01-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I was wrong about the metering on the Ricoh P lens. I tried my Ricoh P 35mm f/2.8 yesterday in Av mode with my Pentax K-x white, though I am not totally certain, it seemed able to meter fine like an M42 lens would in Av mode.

Can Ricoh P lens owner confirm me if Rioch P lens can meter in Av mode without the need for stop-down metering with green button? The P can't sever as the A pin as the aperture is F-- and built in pttl flash can't be used.

Thanks,
Hin
Can Ricoh P lens in Ricoh K-mount owners confirm me if Ricoh P lens can meter in Av mode with Pentax digital bodies?

Thanks,
Hin
01-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Normpixel Quote
I may be in the "wrong" thread but (hey!) I'm a NEW MEMBER so what do I know? Anyway I've got a 55mm Ricoh AUTO RIKENON f1.4 screw mount. It takes 55mm filters, stops down to f16 and has an A/M switch (selector)... it actually looks a lot like the "early" Takumars. Since I "don't shoot film much any more" (some on PentaxForums think that I should!), I haven't used it in a while. I haven't had any auto diaphragm pin "issues" because I use(d) it with a "K" adaptor on Pentax K mount bodies. The serial number is 304682 (if "that's a clue"!) and I just wondered where it "fit" in the Ricoh/Rikenon "line-up" AND how it compared to all the 50mm Rikenons...
Mechanically it has that "quality feel"; smooth focus, good "click stop" diaphragm ring action.
I spotted it in a pawn shop (quite a few years ago) for "next to nothing" (they figured it was obsolete because it didn't fit any camera that they had ever seen).
Thanks for listening and/or "helping"! ...Normpixel...
Your lens was the upscale option for a kit lens on Ricoh Singlex TLS or TLS 401 cameras in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Those bodies were also sold with a 50mm f/1.7 and a 50mm f/2.8. I own the f/1.7 and it is one of my favorite lenses. (Link to photo of my Singlex)

I have never shot with the f/1.4, but from all reports, it is an excellent lens. The Sears version (these were relabeled for Sears cameras) was featured in Sean Carpenter's normal lens shoot out and did quite well (Link), finishing 7th in a crowded field ahead of such classics as the S-M-C Takumar 55/1.8 and Pentax-M 50/1.7. Too bad the shootout was single-elimination.

Steve

(Let me know if you ever want to sell...I might be interested...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-14-2010 at 06:53 PM.
01-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Can Ricoh P lens in Ricoh K-mount owners confirm me if Ricoh P lens can meter in Av mode with Pentax digital bodies?

Thanks,
Hin
Generally the behavior is the same as Pentax-M. Lens stays full open in Av mode. The exception is if the lens is the hybrid Pentax-A/Ricoh-P mount found on many third-party lenses. Those are compatible with both Ricoh P bodies and Pentax-A bodies.

Steve

01-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #20

Thanks, Just1MoreDave (BTW, NICE image of lenses!) AND stevebrot! You both have many fine posts and replies, etc. (as do so many here on PentaxForums!)... I still have a little difficulty "knowing" which forum to be in, BUT I suppose "with time" that will get "easier"!!
...Normpixel... P.S. Will try to "work that lens in" during my "return to film adventure" (whatever THAT means!).