Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 03:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[Confirmed: A Pentax K 85mm soft] Weird "pentax lens"...

I saw this while searching for some bargains:

auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v64486498

The images look normal, but there haven't been a soft focus lens for some time and this one does not have a aperture ring.

I think it is fake, can anyone give some clarification?

Last edited by summonbaka; 01-01-2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: changed title
01-01-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

K 85/2.2 Soft
01-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like a K 85mm f/2.2 to me.

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 85mm F2.2 Soft

K 85/2.2 Soft
01-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
So it's a K? That's why i didn't find it on the reviews... didn't search there.
(Where is the aperture ring, is it the upper part with the scale?)

Thanks for the fast replies

P.S. it is still weird. :P

Last edited by summonbaka; 01-01-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: I think i understood...
01-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Banned

K 85/2.2 Soft

Not weird, a soft lens was made for the 6x7 Pentax also.

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 120mm F4 Soft
QuoteQuote:
General Description

This is an unusual lens: the images that it produces are quite unique, its aperture range is uncommon, and its appearance does not quite match that of the other Pentax lenses.

The main use of the 85/2.2 Soft is portraiture. Its optical formula is designed so that the image gets softer as the aperture gets wider. In other words, the aperture ring controls the aperture setting and the image sharpness. At f/2.2 the lens is at its softest while at f/5.6 it is already quite sharp. The center of the image is always sharper than the corners. The aperture ring has no click-stops, so the image sharpness can be precisely controlled. The images produced by the 85/2.2 Soft are very pleasing and quite unique, even compared to other soft lenses.

The diaphragm coupling in this lens is fully manual — a desirable feature for a soft lens. The reason is that, due to the connection between aperture and image sharpness, the sharpness of the viewfinder image matches exactly that of the final image. Furthermore, selecting the desired amount of sharpness forces the use of a particular aperture value. In order to achieve proper exposure then, the photographer must change the shutter speed (which may not be possible in all cases).

The lens is reasonably light an compact, and handles quite nicely. It takes a bit of getting used to it, however. The focusing ring is quite narrow and is positioned directly in front of the lens mount while the aperture ring is in front of it. Because of that, bodies with optical aperture read-out will not be able to display the aperture in the viewfinder.
Product Inf

K 85/2.2 Soft