Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

What can you tell me about this lens? Quantaray 70-210mm f/4.0-5.6

Didn't win because the "reserve was not met", but the guy is now offering it to me under a buy it now style auction just for me. Is it a good deal? Will it work with the autofocus in my K100D? Any other information (quality of or experience with Quantaray lenses, etc)

Thanks!

eBay: Quantaray 70-210mm f/4.0-5.6 for Pentax (item 280126585305 end time Jun-19-07 16:45:27 PDT)

06-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I only had one experience with a Quantaray lens (I don't think that one) many years ago - returned it for not being sharp.

If you don't mind manually focussing, it may be OK if the IQ is accceptable, though I think the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro for just over $200 new might be a better choice if you have any budget at all.

Oops - the Pentax 50-200 for about the same price as the Sigma has a tad better IQ, at least with my two lenses for comparison.
06-19-2007, 04:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That lens appears to be almost the same as a Sigma that I own. It's weird because it's a TWO-ring manual focus zoom lens. Most two-ring zooms tend to be autofocus (and the Push-pull ones are MF). I bought it off of eBay for $20, thinking it SHOULD be Autofocus even though the listing did specify manual focus. I don't think I used much past the day I received it. Optically, it was ok. Quantaray is basically Ritz Camera's "House Brand" and are usually rebranded Sigma (in this case) or Tamron.

So, I think ~$50 is TOO much. Hey, just noticed you're in Cherry Hill, I'll sell you mine for $20+shipping(what I paid) PM if you're interested.

Another option would be to swing by a bunch of Ritz stores and see what they have. We seem to have like 50 in a ten-mile radius (King of Prussia) and they sometimes have some old stock AUTO-FOCUS zoom lenses. In fact, the one in the Court (the smaller mall) in KOP had a 70-300mm for >$100 a couple of weeks ago. Last winter, another store in KOP had a 100-300mm I bought for $60. I returned it only because it was f/6.7 on the long end and I had scored some f/5.6s on eBay for around the same price.
06-19-2007, 05:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
That lens appears to be almost the same as a Sigma that I own. It's weird because it's a TWO-ring manual focus zoom lens. Most two-ring zooms tend to be autofocus (and the Push-pull ones are MF). I bought it off of eBay for $20, thinking it SHOULD be Autofocus even though the listing did specify manual focus. I don't think I used much past the day I received it. Optically, it was ok. Quantaray is basically Ritz Camera's "House Brand" and are usually rebranded Sigma (in this case) or Tamron.

So, I think ~$50 is TOO much. Hey, just noticed you're in Cherry Hill, I'll sell you mine for $20+shipping(what I paid) PM if you're interested.
That lens is actually a Sigma, It was Sigma's "house Brand" very much the same as Pentax SMC's and Takumar's which were striped down versions of the Pentax version (with some notable exceptions over the years-Pentax loved to confuse us) "consumer grade" whatever that means.

Generally the Quantaray lenses were not that good and have almost no resell value. I see the lens is sold. Were you the buyer? I would have suggested several other choices all at very reasonable prices. Particularly the Pentax SMC A 70-210 which is a very good manual focus lens that seems to sell under $100. The offer you have above is also much better than this deal.

06-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Inactive Account

theres a brand new full auto AF for sale under cleaning house in the marketplace