Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4 v3 --- HELP!

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on pentaxforums.com, although I have been reading many theads on here for the last few months.

I need some assistance from any of you who know some information about the classic Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm telephotos. I have found one for sale and the owner claims it to be a version 3 made by Komine. The serial number #28401449 matches that of the Komine version 3 lenses per the information on this website: Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography

The main difference between this lens and all the other version 3s I have ever seen is it is missing the red ring around the front of the lens as seen here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/53211-sale-%5Bsold%5D-vivitar-...komine-v3.html

Can someone please let me know if this indeed a version 3 Vivitar lens or not. If so, how come there is no red ring around the lens?

I need to know as soon as possible as the lens will be sold within 24 hours and hopefully I can grab it if it is indeed what I am looking for. If not, anyone got a good Vivitar zoom lens or something similar for under $100 for me?

Lastly, I am glad to finally be a part of this online community. I just purchased a new Pentax K-x (white). It is my first DSLR. I have not been an active photographer for years since I shot with a 35mm Nikon. I am very happy with the K-x and looking for some good budget glass to get me started. I am also looking forward to chatting with you all here!

Attached Images

01-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JP_Seattle Quote
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on pentaxforums.com, although I have been reading many theads on here for the last few months.

I need some assistance from any of you who know some information about the classic Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm telephotos. I have found one for sale and the owner claims it to be a version 3 made by Komine. The serial number #28401449 matches that of the Komine version 3 lenses per the information on this website: Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography

The main difference between this lens and all the other version 3s I have ever seen is it is missing the red ring around the front of the lens as seen here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/53211-sale-%5Bsold%5D-vivitar-...komine-v3.html

Can someone please let me know if this indeed a version 3 Vivitar lens or not. If so, how come there is no red ring around the lens?

I need to know as soon as possible as the lens will be sold within 24 hours and hopefully I can grab it if it is indeed what I am looking for. If not, anyone got a good Vivitar zoom lens or something similar for under $100 for me?

Be aware, as you read Mark Roberts' posting, that Komine added the A contacts part way through the production of their version of the lens. Be sure to check if the For Sale copy is a P/KA version. Lack of the A contacts might account for the missing red band.

I have the one you are looking for with A contacts (has the red band), along with a fitting achromatic close-up lens, filter, caps, case and third-party metal hood, in EX condition (no zoom creep, excellent glass, etc.) that I can offer if you are interested.

More than $100, though.
01-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
Bear with me as I am new to Pentax and DSLRs in general. The A contacts you are referring to are for automatic control of aperture? Without the A contacts, the lens will not be compatible with a new Pentax K-x or just have to manually set the aperture?

Can you tell by this photo if it has the "A" contact? http://i50.tinypic.com/2qansxd.jpg

Also, PM me with your asking price for the lens you have please.

Thanks!

Last edited by JP_Seattle; 01-02-2010 at 11:20 PM.
01-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! The mount in the picture does not have the A contacts. K-A mount should look like this (notice the row of contacts):

Without the A contacts you have to set the aperture from the lens' aperture ring (you can do it from the body with K-A) and meter using the green button (or A-EL I'm not familiar with the K-X).

edit:

One quality option is the Vivitar 3.8/75-205mm with the serial starting with 22 (Kiron) (in K-mount, never seen one with K-A) . It can be usually had for much less than the Series 1 in question and the IQ is almost the same. Series 1 focuses closer and has a bit more contrast, sharpness is pretty much the same and the 75-205mm has much less purple fringing. The Series 1 is of course faster in the short end but constant aperture on the 75-205mm is convenient as you don't have to meter again after zooming.

Last edited by ovim; 01-03-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added info on other lens
01-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JP_Seattle Quote
Bear with me as I am new to Pentax and DSLRs in general. The A contacts you are referring to are for automatic control of aperture? Without the A contacts, the lens will not be compatible with a new Pentax K-x or just have to manually set the aperture?

Can you tell by this photo if it has the "A" contact? http://i50.tinypic.com/2qansxd.jpg

Also, PM me with your asking price for the lens you have please.

Thanks!
That mount does not appear to have the A contacts. Without them the lens will function the same as an M lens on a DSLR - manual aperture and green button metering. The lens shoud have P/KA (and possibly R/PK) engraved below the aperture ring.

Here's a photo of the aperture ring. Sorry I don't have one of the actual mount.

Click for enlarged

Here is a diagram of the K mount without A contacts (scroll down)

Here is a diagram of the A contacts
01-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
Got it.. thanks! Yes, I have confirmed that it was a non-"A" version of the v3 which makes sense now why there was no red ring. I am glad I figured that out before I purchased it.

Monochrome - If you are interested in selling yours, I may be interested.

Thanks!

-Jason
02-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
how actually activate the macro mode?

i just got this series 1, with very cheap price.. but i never can figure out how to activate the macro mode..i tried to press the white button....

.... and twist the barrel, but nothing happened. is there any manual of this lens i can download somewhere?
02-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

@fearview - It looks like you have version 1.

To put the lens in macro mode you pull the zoom/focus ring all the way back towards the lens mount (where you already have it) and then turn it so that the word "macro" on the focus ring is as close as it will get to where it says macro on the lens body just above the aperture ring. You should then be able to press the white button and turn the ring that shifts the lens in and out of macro mode. You can only shift between modes when the lens is in that one position.