Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

Advice on a macro lens please (Australia)

I am about to buy a K20D with a Pentax DA 18-55, and have purchased (from USA) a Tokina 75-300 f4.5-5.6

I will have about $500 AUD spare and want a reasonable quality macro lens. This is mainly going to be used for things that don't mind a lens in their face, eg: mushrooms, flowers, etc. Mostly will also be used in low light situations.

Any advice would be appreciated. I do not mind shopping globally, but would prefer to buy in Australia.

01-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
have a look in the Marketplace Tamron 90mm and 28-75mm both F/2.8 and a great for use with macro in mind(Tamron 90mm)with use with extension tubes the world is at your feet.BTW welcome here and enjoy

cheers
01-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're happy to drop $500, I'd advise on a dedicated macro.
The DFA 50 is a very decent macro, but the Tamron 90 is excellent also and cheaper - it's probably also more readily available. There's also the Sigma 70mm macro lens which is highly acclaimed. There are other macros too, but basically any 50mm macro, including manual focus ones would all be very good quality.
01-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love my Tamron 90mm--but I read and hear there are many other excellent choices too--just pic one.

This is with the Tamron 90: just a tiny crop, f 7.1, 1/250th, ISO 250

[IMG][/IMG]

01-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I have a K-7 and I just bought 2 lenses from overseas, simply because the lens prices in Australia are prohibitive. In each case, the purchase price including shipping (UPS worldwide) was 30 to 50% cheaper than the best prices I could get in Australia. I would recommend strongly to consider the overseas option and to compare the prices.

I bought a Pentax DA 18-250mm lens from Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com. The lens was an 'used' one but the quality was superb, like new. Excellent services from Keh and I can strongly recommend them.

I purchased a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 from adorama.com (as a new lens). Again excellent service again and delivery in less than 7 days.

NB: Since each lens was less than AUD$1,000, there is no import tax.

Hope that the suggestion will assist.

Last edited by hcc; 01-03-2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Typos
01-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You could look at a second hand buy as well. For around $300 you could get a Lester Dine 105mm f2.8, a Kiron 105f2.8 or a Series 1 Vivitar same focal lenght @ f2.5. These are all manual focus lenses, made by Kiron, and no A stop but will happily do the job.
A sample pic from my Kiron 105mm f2.8 to give you an idea of what they can do.
01-03-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Consider a macro lens with a focus limiter knob/switch.
01-03-2010, 04:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

read this thread

pls read this thread, it is great source of info: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84186-best-macro-1-1-lens.html

01-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for the responses. The Tamron looks good, and if it is the Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens then it can certainly fit the budget.

Should have mentioned that I am looking for something that will only be used for macro, and AF is definitely not a priority.

The Kiron looks damn fine, but almost impossible to buy unfortunately.

Checked out that other thread Piotr, but we are starting to get way above my budget for now there.

This is my first DSLR and this whole lens thing is very confusing, especially as their is such a wide range out there.

As I mentioned in my first post, the types of things I will be shooting do not require a great deal of zoom as they will not be running away from a lens poked at them, I can get in quite close. I especially enjoy shooting small mushrooms and other fungus I find in the surrounding rainforests. Many of these are quite small and the places they grow are very heavily shaded.
01-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Just Me: I will have about $500 AUD spare and want a reasonable quality macro lens. This is mainly going to be used for things that don't mind a lens in their face, eg: mushrooms, flowers, etc. Mostly will also be used in low light situations.

Any advice would be appreciated. I do not mind shopping globally, but would prefer to buy in Australia.
Our Market place has one right now that meets your needs--and they will ship worldwide--I shoot with a DI, this version is not, but so many people have told me the difference between the 2 is imperceptible:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/85244-sale-tr...acro-lens.html
01-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

one thing you need to consider since you state you will be working in low light, is to get a good MF macro lens, not AF. the AF could hunt badly, and since AF will lock onto what it wants, not what you want, it may not have any advantage.

there are litterally ton's of SMC Pentax and SMC takumar 50mm and 100mm Macro lenses out there which can be used with extension tubes to get to true 1:1

you should also consider a tripod and macro focusing rail.

if you buy used you should be able to get a lens, extension tubes and focusing rail plus a really good tripod for much less than your budget of $500
01-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My Tamron 90mm Macro DI f 2.8, while an AF lens for sure, also has fantastic manual focus abilities. It also has a focus limiter for when you want to do portraits. Sometimes it is nice to have the AF, but most of my macro is done in manual focus. The lens has awesome bokeh, something very desirable in a macro. If you want to see more shots visit out Tammy Club thread here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31955-tammy-club.html

The lens gets great reviews everywhere--see the reviews of this lens by our forum members, here:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 90mm f/2.8 SP Di Macro

Also, here is a better idea of what the lens does: ISO 400, F11, 1/125th, tripod, no crop:
[IMG][/IMG]
01-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

for about 500 Australian dollars you can buy FA 100mm macro. It is available from Japan shops na ebay. In my opinion it is the best what you can have for this money. Great macro, work excellent with teleconverters and extension rings. It is FA, full frame, has focus clamp, does't need additional hood.

SMC Pentax-FA 1:2,8 100mm MACRO Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com

Pentax *ist DS ,Pentax smc P-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro
+TC2 1/125s f/8.0 at 100.0mm iso400
01-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The Tamron is an extraordinary buy--it would save you some money to buy any extras you want--remember, it comes as a 1:1 macro out of the box. You can buy it full frame if you desire at the link above. Don't spend more money unless you see it justified. And remember, no matter what lens you pick in this category--you will be psyched--they are all fantastic! Happy Shooting! Oh, if you buy it new, it comes with 6-Year Warranty!

Here is the conclusion by Photozone, quoted, verbatim:

"Verdict
The Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP is an excellent lens without significant flaws and it is at least as good if not even slightly better than its more expensive native Pentax counterpart. The resolution figures are impressively high, vignetting is marginal and distortions are non-existent. There're hints of lateral and longitudinal CAs but that's nothing out of the ordinary here. The bokeh (out-of-focus blur) is very smooth so the lens is very well suited for shallow depth-of-field situations. The build quality is decent. Taking the moderate pricing into account the Tamron represents an excellent deal."

And another butterfly: @ f 6.3, ISO 200, 1/640th--handheld

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-31-2010 at 10:48 PM.
01-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #15

Original Poster
Some incredibly nice shots above. Thanks for the advice, I think I will be going with the Tamron