Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Voigtlander 40mm - aperture control?

Do our bodies (mainly interested in k10d and k20d) control aperture on the subject lens from the body or do I have to use aperture ring on the lens?

01-03-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The lenses have the A position and work like any other A lens.
= You can control it via the body.

Check here:
Voigtländer Ultron 40/2.0 vs Pentax FA 35/2.0
01-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
The lenses have the A position and work like any other A lens.
= You can control it via the body.

Check here:
Voigtländer Ultron 40/2.0 vs Pentax FA 35/2.0
Interesting comparison! Thanks for the link! The Ultron is a beautifully constructed lens and a great performer. It is nice to see that the FA 35/2 compares so favorably.

Steve
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cool. I didn't see the A on the photos...

01-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

I have the Voigtlander 40mm and it has the locking "A" position on the aperture ring just like Pentax A lenses. I wasn't entirely clear on that either until I got the lens. Apparently, the Nikon version has no "A" position. Look here for a clear photo: Voigtlander SL II Lenses

Full metering options and aperture control work on my K7 body.

I have noticed 2 oddities. When I start the camera with anti-shake turned on, I have to identify the focal length of the lens. Menu automatically pops up, but user manual says this is for lenses the camera cannot identify. (see page 135 of the K-7 manual) This doesn't happen when I turn off anti-shake. Also, I cannot drag the shutter when using the flash in Av mode. It locks at 1/180 (see page 168 of manual) Have to use M or Tv modes to slow the shutter speed down when using the flash. This is not a huge deal, but it leads me to think that while enough info is being passed electronically to the camera from the Voigtlander lens to support accurate metering, the focal length is not being recognized. The EXIF data only shows the focal length for image shot using anti-shake mode. And it shows whatever value I manually enter on the camera menu.

I am getting great exposures in all modes with and without flash. So this is just a minor idiosyncrasy. But I am curious to know if anyone else has had similar experience.

And I'm still glad I opted for the Voigtlander over the Pentax. The size is much more comfortable to hold, the focus action is super smooth and the extra stop going to f/2 makes for better bokeh and better low light performance.
01-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
When I start the camera with anti-shake turned on, I have to identify the focal length of the lens. Menu automatically pops up, but user manual says this is for lenses the camera cannot identify. (see page 135 of the K-7 manual) This doesn't happen when I turn off anti-shake.
Yes, that's to be expected. All current Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses should work the same way. The camera cannot figure the focal length and doesn't usually need to, except for SR when it has to figure out how much to compensate shake.
01-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
this is Out of Topic Question. But can we select af point with the Ultron?

01-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
this is Out of Topic Question. But can we select af point with the Ultron?

Sadly, no--center point only, like with A-series and earlier Pentax lenses.