Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Do white specs inside the lens matter?

I have a new Tamron (28-200mm etc etc who cares) lens and it has acquired one very obvious (although not big) and one not very obvious white spec inside the lens and in quite central positions. I was quite surprised by this. I had heard that the inside of lenses can accumulate dust over time, but one of these looks "whiter" than dust and I've only had the lens for 2 weeks. Should I contact the retailer, or will it not affect my photos? Sorry to ask a real novice question, but I searched Google and I couldn't find any useful advice.

Last edited by pixelpruner; 06-19-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: missed something out
06-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My old Sigma 75-300 APO has this and I've never noticed it on any pictures

I asked my camera guy if he can clean it and he said why bother, there's just no way that it can effect quality.
06-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
DAP

When I bought my 77ltd (new) it had a couple of white specks inside - don't know if it is dust or just some fragments from the cloth that they used to polish the elements at the factory. In any case, it will not make any difference as far as your photos are concerned. I wouldn't worry about it in the least.
06-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's just the way they're sat right in the middle of the lens... I don't quite see how they wouldn't affect images. Having said that I havn't noticed anything awry on my photos. Anyway thanks for the reassurance guys!

06-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It probably won't matter... My Tamron 70-300 was a bit too stiff (zooming) I took it to the approved service agent and they "repaired" it and it came back FULL of dust.. So just be carefull getting it repaired, you may get it back worse..

A couple of dust specs I wouldn't bother getting fixed, it will probably make no noticable difference..
06-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Haha that sucks. Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll worry if the lens starts to grow something!
06-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
I've only had the lens for 2 weeks. Should I contact the retailer, or will it not affect my photos? Sorry to ask a real novice question, but I searched Google and I couldn't find any useful advice.
If it was bought new and only 2 weeks old I'd take it back for a replacement. Sounds like it could be more than dust by your description and the last thing you need is a fungus growth developing. You don't want to be buying a new one in a year with the high prices you pay in the UK.

06-20-2007, 02:37 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hmm... I kinda agree with you. I'll have to see if I can get to the shop before I go to America.
06-20-2007, 05:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
Hmm... I kinda agree with you. I'll have to see if I can get to the shop before I go to America.
Where is the US are you going and when? I was in communication with a couple of UK Pentax owners and was astonished how expensive UK Photo gear was. The import duties and taxes are high all over the EU (one paid about $1100 USD for a 77 Limited vs my price of about $650 USD here in Canada). Maybe you can return it for a refund and pick up the same lens in the US for about half the cost. Just find out if it has an international warranty. Mail the empty box back to yourself and you've got some extra $$ for the trip. You can arrange all that via the net or by phone even before you leave home.

If you are going to a major center, I'm sure someone here will have great suggestions as to good Photo shops. Of course the most well known is B&H in NYC.
06-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't think it will work quite like that as I got a pretty good discount on the lens by buying it with the body from a shop in London. I am interested in shopping for lenses in the US though (which is why I have only one lens at the moment), but I'll create a new thread asking about this so it might get some more responses.