Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Murdered My FA50 1.4 :( A Lesson To Be Learnt

Ok Today I eagerly got my hands on my metal screw on lens hood from ebay which I must say is a really great hood....

Well I decided to use the hood and raynox in a combo which worked a treat, however in the process of not been careful in removing the hood I inadvertently broke something inside the lens relating to the apperture blades and focus rendering the lens useless, this was done by accidently turning the lens past its minimum focus distance.....simple thing is too much force and not enough care an expensive lesson.

So now the lens is off to CR Kennedy tomorrow for repair.

However it is a good thing in a way as I've suspected this lens from day one to need a service as I've found it difficult to get very sharp results either manually or through AF even when stopped down.

However I have gone back to using my Ricoh F1.7 and with the Raynox 250 its actually somewhat sharper than the FA50 at the same F stop.

Regardless I really love my FA50 so hopefully I'll get it all sorted.

And once again the lesson to be learnt is be more gentle and be careful with screw on lens hoods.

01-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Damn Brit

The hood on my Sigma 105 macro, even though I deliberately don't tighten it too much, takes quite some force initially when taking it off. I worry about damaging the AF mechanism. Something to do with it being plastic to metal I guess.
01-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the lesson. I didn't know you could damage a lens like that...
01-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This is really why I'm not a fan of plastic parts in lenses. I hear the F50 1.7 has real problems with the plastic filter ring itself.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, the force required to remove a lens cap shouldn't cause thie to happen.

01-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well it's definately me who's at fault not the design of the lens, I put way way more pressure on it than its use to.

Now the Rikenon I'm using it another story, I am really mean with it and it still works like a charm :P
01-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That's one thing I don't like about my FA50 ... it really is a plastic fantastic ... luckily mine does produce nice images from it.

But ... and spoiled my Takumars ... all metal/glass ... solid as a rock. Build quality on these babies are very nice indeed.
01-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually i've taken mine apart now and thankfully there is no actual broken bits as such.

Simply the lens was turned too far resulting in the long metal arm that actuates the diagphram to be bent (and it's quite solid piece, I've tried bending it back with no success) that needs to be replaced, clearly I put way too much force. Other than that there is thankfully nothing else wrong, if I can find my micro screw driver I could put it back together but I'd rather trust an expert.

Thankfuly there is no damage to the optics at all! however I have stated on the repair sheet that I've been having an issue with sharpness with this lens so hopefully they can fix that.
01-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear thi, but it is a timely warning as I was worried about the tight hood in my new 35/2, and now I would be more carful.

01-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I was worried about the tight hood in my new 35/2
I would be very, very surprised if the bayonet hood on the FA35 could allow enough force to be transmitted to damage anything. The hood in the OP was attached to the filter threads, and thus it's not too surprising that you could get those threads bound up enough to really torque the lens.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful with the FA35, but I am saying that you probably have nothing to worry about.
01-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In hindsight I'd get a clip on hood or just not put the hood on as tight lol.

I should note that prior to this I noticed the lens didn't quite sit in right in the first place....oh well.
01-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone ever tried teflon thread tape (like for plumbing) to keep accessories from binding to the lens?
01-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Has anyone ever tried teflon thread tape (like for plumbing) to keep accessories from binding to the lens?
Well, that would certainly keep water from leaking out from between the lens and hood!

Joking aside, I don't think I'd try that -- adding another layer of "stuff" might tend to further tighten up an already snug fit. I'd probably try to lube the threads with a tiny bit of bar soap, paraffin, or something along those lines. No oil or grease!
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #13

Or you might try that white Pipe Thread Wrap, though that is used to tighten threads...
01-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Durability is really a problem

I used to own the FA50/1.4 but sold it as I was becoming quite concerned about its build and durability in the long run. I observed that my unit, when unused for some time (months), would misfocus during initial shots when I'd decide to use it again. To "recalibrate" focusing accuracy, I'd have to make several test shots starting from closer distance subjects all the way to infinity. Only after going through this process would I observe that the lens' focusing accuracy return.

Another issue I had with the FA50/1.4 was the fact that using it wider than f2 was a real bummer. Maybe it was because of FF/BF issues, but getting accurately focused shots wider than f2 just became too difficult. Using this lens in MF mode was also a headache.
01-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think its a very good and very capable lens just it's not perfect.

Even the Canon F1.4 struggles at wide open and costs even more.

Ultimately I'd love a Sigma 50mm or DA* 55 but it's not on the priority list till later in the year.