Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax / Samsung -- identical twins?

First off, I'm new to the forum, and have been reading LOTS as I prepare to buy my first DSLR. (Which, I'm thinking, will be a K-7, though my ten manual-focus Nikkors keep reminding me that their opinion is important. Sigh.)

But the question: Are the current Pentax lenses and Samsung (Schneider-Kreuznach) lenses the same critters? Is there any difference in, say, the respective 100mm macros aside from the name and slight cosmetic differences? Are they designed by the same folks and manufactured in the same facilities?

I'm aware of the Samsung DSLRs, but wondered mostly about the "Schneider-Kreuznach" angle. I searched the forum and didn't find anything directly relating to this question, so I hope someone can set the record straight. (The first lens I shot through on an SLR was a Schneider-Kreuznach 50/1.9, mounted on a Kodak Retina Reflex S. And in my darkroom, my Schneider Componon S did most of the work. But when it comes to lenses on digital SLRs and point-and-shoots--Kodak, say--I don't know how much to read into a name. . . .

Nath

01-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The lenses possibly have different coatings (SMC vs....?), but are definitely identical from a lens element standpoint - all are manufactured by Pentax, obviously receiving the different badging and exterior shell. As far as most can tell, the relationship is essentially done at this point, any Samsung lenses will likely be old, existing stock left in stores.
01-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The lenses possibly have different coatings (SMC vs....?), but are definitely identical from a lens element standpoint - all are manufactured by Pentax, obviously receiving the different badging and exterior shell. As far as most can tell, the relationship is essentially done at this point, any Samsung lenses will likely be old, existing stock left in stores.
Thanks, pxpaulx. I hadn't thought of the coatings being different.

From what I'd read, though, the relationship seemed to be over. I guess it's pretty clear that Samsung is heading in other directions, given the introduction of their new NX10.

n
01-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lens coatings are exactly the same between the Pentax and Samsung Schnieder lenses. Compared the kit lens, the 12-24mm f/4, and the 35mm f/2 and the coatings are similar. Pictures come out the same too so I see no evidence to any claim that the coatings are any different.