Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
you have LBA

btw try justifying lens purchases for a Canon system

YOU SHOULD ONLY GET LENSES THAT YOU'LL USE

01-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A year ago, I saw one at Lens&Shutters in Victoria and it was $550CDN, so the Pentax price sounds about right. Whether this is a good value is really up to the buyer. For myself, I'd rather buy the DA35Ltd for this kind of money.
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I bought mine in HK when the FA 35/2 was going for about US$299 on B&H in about November last year. Since then, the price for this lens has been going up.

I think the thing that made this lens really popular is the prices that it was going for, at US$300 or less, made it a really bang-for-buck lens. What you got was a fast normal lens, sharp from F2.0 onwards, for what was quite a cheap price. It was really good value for money.

However, since the price rises, it's big advantage of value for money has diminished. It's still a good lens, but the question now is, but is it worth the ~US$500 that it's costing, especially when there are other alternatives in roughly the same price bracket?
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
you have LBA

btw try justifying lens purchases for a Canon system

YOU SHOULD ONLY GET LENSES THAT YOU'LL USE
which Canon lens display the same, if not somehow close to the FA35's characteristics in terms of overall IQ rendering (particularly sharpness, detail and color) at the same price bracket ? focal length and speed must be the same or atleast close.

01-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I bought mine in HK when the FA 35/2 was going for about US$299 on B&H in about November last year. Since then, the price for this lens has been going up.

I think the thing that made this lens really popular is the prices that it was going for, at US$300 or less, made it a really bang-for-buck lens. What you got was a fast normal lens, sharp from F2.0 onwards, for what was quite a cheap price. It was really good value for money.

However, since the price rises, it's big advantage of value for money has diminished. It's still a good lens, but the question now is, but is it worth the ~US$500 that it's costing, especially when there are other alternatives in roughly the same price bracket?
This is exactly right. And, in a digital age, Pentax has made no move to produce a solid - but not exquisite in a Limited sense - plastic-fantastic normal, fast DA lens to replace it. With the DA 40 Limited selling for $339 these days, there's no reason Pentax can't produce the kind of lens I'm talking about in the $300 range. Both Canon and Nikon have lenses like this in the $100-$200 range.

Both the DA 35 Limited and the DA 40 Limited are potential options for me right now, just as they are for a lot of other Pentaxians. They're both great lenses. But, in the end, we know we'd really like something faster than f/2.8. F/2.0 would be great... f/1.8 or f/1.4 would be, well, plastic-fantastic.
01-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I too would like there to be some entry level pricing for primes, maybe a 35mm and 50mm at 150-200 dollars. The problem is that primes are not big sellers over all. 50mm lenses used to be the kit lens for cameras and therefore they were produced in huge numbers and are fairly cheap. The new kit lenses are zooms -- you can see it in the pricing. Comparitively speaking, the DA * zooms are a good deal. I wish I could say the same about the primes, but they are pretty expensive for what they are.
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
which Canon lens display the same, if not somehow close to the FA35's characteristics in terms of overall IQ rendering (particularly sharpness, detail and color) at the same price bracket ? focal length and speed must be the same or atleast close.
I've been wondering about this too... Nikon has the 35/1.8. Is the Canon 35/2 (non L) any good? Photozone has some good things to say about it but I'm not really convinced
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As recent as 14 months ago the FA 35mm f2 and FA 50mm f1.4 were going for $299 and $199 shipped at Adorama/BH/Amazon shipped. What happened is Pentax apparently discontinued them and prices on other lenses increased as well.