Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
I have been looking for a 70-200/2,8 for a couple of months. Had already decided to go for the Tamron. To my great surprise I came across a Pentax FA*80-200/2,8 in good condition. Got it for the price of a new Tamron.
After testing it extensively over the holiday season at temperatures down to -25 C, I am more than pleased with the lens. My fingers may still be aching from frost-bites, but it sure is an excellent lens!
I priorize image quality, which is the reason I would have chosen Tamron over the Sigma in this category. My understanding is that Tamron has a slight advantage in this respect.
WOW! a Pentax 80-200 for the price of a Tamron 70-200, what a find! I am sooooooooooooo jealous....

01-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Back to the topic, there's also the 60-250 f4 which is an excelent choice. You loose one stop but gain reach and weather sealing.
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
To my great surprise I came across a Pentax FA*80-200/2,8 in good condition. Got it for the price of a new Tamron.
This lens doesn't disappoint, and for getting it at such a low price is a no-brainer.
You, friend, are very fortunate.
01-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #19

Original Poster
Tamron

bdrey,
thank you for the other listing of lens.
I pulled the trigger on teh Tamron from B and H.
I will let you guys know how it works for me. Crossing my fingers my aperture does not stick but sounds like its highly unlikely.

01-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #20

Original Poster
Tamron

bdrey,
thank you for the other listing of lens.
I pulled the trigger on the Tamron from B and H.
I will let you guys know how it works for me. Crossing my fingers my aperture does not stick but sounds like its highly unlikely.
01-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure you didn't mean 'highly unlikely', but I'm hopeful for you too.
Once you get it Lance, test it out exhaustively from Day 1 to see if you *can* get the aperture to stick - you'll know by gross overexposure when setting the camera on Av mode at f/8 and 0 EV.

If it's gonna happen, it'll likely show itself before the 15 day guarantee period, within which you can decide to return it or ask B&H to repair it for you.
All the best.
01-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #22

Original Poster
highly likely

Ash,
I meant highly likely....and am crossing my fingers mine is ok...thank you for the tips and I will let you know how things go...I should be here late next week.

01-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #23

Original Poster
got the lens

Ok I got the lens. So far so good...what should I expect if it is defective? When will the evil eye present itself?
01-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #24
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it's just for sticky aperture, shoot in Av mode at EV0 with aperture of f/5.6 or f/8.
Test it out on any scene and look for overexposure. If your shots are grossly blown out, you have a sticky aperture. Dismount the lens and have a look through the glass to confirm that the aperture lever is stuck at wide open. It may take a number of shots for this to manifest, though. So test it out relatively rigorously the first few days.
01-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #25

Original Poster
so far so good

I have taken about 100 shtos thus far. No overexposure yet. I am disappointed in it grabbing a focus in my family room. IT seems to take a while to focus. OUtside shots seem to be fine.
01-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #26
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, there will be a limit to how low you can go with ambient lighting before AF becomes a problem.
It's no f/1.4 lens, but then there's always AF assist.
02-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #27

Original Poster
No stickey yet

I have shot about 200-300 shots at f8. AV mode. All is good to this point.
02-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another statistic!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If it's just for sticky aperture, shoot in Av mode at EV0 with aperture of f/5.6 or f/8.
Test it out on any scene and look for overexposure. If your shots are grossly blown out, you have a sticky aperture. Dismount the lens and have a look through the glass to confirm that the aperture lever is stuck at wide open. It may take a number of shots for this to manifest, though. So test it out relatively rigorously the first few days.
Doggone it! Well Ash, thanks for that info on testing for sticky aperture, just tried it with mine and sure enough ...Well, as opposed to Pentax, I am SO glad now for Tamron's 6-year warranty!!! Only bummer is I planned to use this lens for my son's upcoming swim meet, it's the perfect focal length- guess I'll have to use my Pentax-refurbished DA*50-135, SDM lens, instead!
Paul
02-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 70-200 hsm mk2 and I really like it. It is a little soft wide open but it focuses really quickly and quietly. No problems at all with QC.
03-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Got it back

Just as a follow-up:
Sent my Tamron 70-200 in under warranty for sticking aperture. Turn-around time was about a week, and under close examination, I can't see any clues which would indicate that they ever had it apart. (Unlike the obvious signs of disassembly on the refurbished DA*50-135 that Pentax sent me to replace my original.) Kudos to Tamron!

The aperture works perfectly, but I've been also shooting it a lot at 2.8, at all focal lengths. It seems very sharp indeed! I have come to the conclusion that, any lack of sharpness, at least with my lens, is a result of camera shake.
After all it is a fairly heavy lens! But if I do my part, and/or use tripod ot monopod, the Tamron 70-200 is as good as it gets. "NeverSatisfied" is now satisfied! Highly recommended!