Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

So, another choice... DA40mm vs F28mm vs Voigt 40mm

I'm considering these three -
DA40mm
F28mm
Voigtlander 40mm

The 29mm can be had for significantly less than the other two. How do the two 40s compare to this F lens?

I've read the reviews, they all seem excellent, but are the two 40s really worth extra $180 or so? Either FL works for me.

01-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
The focal lengths are pretty different. 28mm is 42mm - a normal lens. 40mm is 60mm - a short tele. If you don't know exactly what focal length you want and you cannot make your mind, go with the cheaper option. Both can be used as walkaround lenses.

Between the two 40's keep in mind that the DA is an AF lens, while the Ultron is a MF lens - which one you should get depends on your focusing preference. If you don't mind MF, you can also look for an old M40, or maybe even consider an Industar 50-2 if you want a pancake style of lens - these are both cheaper options.

Whether a lens is worth extra money is a very subjective thing - it really depends on what you need.
01-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I would go for an older manual lens, but finding one that lets me keep the automatic metering (while I don't particularly mind MF, I don't want to mess with stop-down metering) is a pain...

As for what focal length I want... either one works for me, I don't particularly care.
01-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ill add my piece, I owned a DA40 and yes it is a great lens, SHARP as a tack and VERY VERY well built but I just found it boring and lacking in character, for portraits I just found it just wasn't quite long enough and simply the F2.8 just wasn't fast enough for my taste, other people love it but I personally prefer the FA50 1.4 over it as I find its more of a fun lens to shoot with.

01-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would choose based on focal length. DA 40 is a great lens and awesome as a walk around. The size is amazing and really gives snappy colors, but its all in taste. I personally don't manually focus except in a pinch and so I don't spend money on manual focus lenses. You can get great photos with them -- better than with auto focus sometimes, but I just don't do it.
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I owned SMC F 28/2.8 , nothing to write home about, it was OK lens without issues, but boring.
I had much more fun with FA 50 and FA35mm lenses although FA 50 had a lot of focusing issues wide open.
01-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by herzzreh Quote
Well, I would go for an older manual lens, but finding one that lets me keep the automatic metering (while I don't particularly mind MF, I don't want to mess with stop-down metering) is a pain...

As for what focal length I want... either one works for me, I don't particularly care.
I'd go with the DA 40 first, then the Voigtlander. The good news is the Voigtlander features a CPU that allows for full metering... even if you still have to manual focus. If they'd updgrade their current primes to include autofocus, they'd be unstoppable.

01-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by herzzreh Quote
Well, if you don't care about focal length and you don't want stop-down metering, then you can go for an older (and cheaper) M42 lens. There are tons to choose from, including the Industar that I already mentioned. They'll be manual focus, but you can use them in Av mode, just preset the aperture and press the shutter. I think anything between 24-50mm will be generally useful. Takumars and Vivitars in M42 are probably all decent and good value for the price, but there are other options too, if you want to explore a bit.

Leaving M42 aside, you can obviously look for used lenses with an A setting. You can find something cheaper than a new modern lens.

The DA 40 is probably the cheapest prime available for Pentax these days, now that the FA50 price went up. I don't think today there is any cheaper prime lens still in production for Pentax. So that's not bad at all, but if you would be happy with an old lens, then you can probably get half a dozen old ones for that price.
01-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
If they'd updgrade their current primes to include autofocus, they'd be unstoppable.
But that would mean shorter focus throw and less damping and then a main advantage I find in these lenses would be gone. I like them just the way they are.
01-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I bought DA40 and CV40. One of them is going back to the store, and looks like it will be the DA.

I really don't mind MF so far. CV seems to be just as sharp at f/2 as DA is at its max. CV feels better in my hands when on camera. I find the camera hard to hold with the DA on it. It also looks like an oversized RF