Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Damaged FA50

Recently, i was unlucky enough to drop my FA50 1.4 on the ground. The lens still looks mint but there was some pressure on the inner part due to the fall. It's hard to focus manually and the auto-focus doesn't work anymore.

Now i'm wondering what to do, i could either repair it or get a replacement.
I was looking around and theres a lot of other fine 50 1.4 (Takumars, Sigma, older pentax versions....)
The older lens are somewhat appealing considering that i was only using the lens in manual focus and the focusing ring on the FA50 is quite small.

Opinions?

01-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 is optically the same as the FA, but has a very nice manual focus ring with twice as much travel - it turns 180บ instead of 90บ. It used to be overpriced when the FA was selling new for $170, but now the FA price is higher so the A50/1.4 price looks better. If you don't use AF, the AF lenses are kind of annoying for manual focus, so just about any manual focus 50mm is a better choice. You can probably sell your FA for parts value.
01-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

HEY EVERYONE, keep breaking your FA50's, please. One day mine will the last one, and I will sell it for a meeeeeeelion dollars.

Okay, that's not a very constructive response, I know. My sympathies really are with the OP. But hasn't there been a rash of these incidents lately?

I will add: The M 50/1.4 is also a good choice, if you don't mind shooting almost exclusively in manual mode and metering with the green button. Although I own the FA50 myself, my most-often-used 50(ish) is the Cosina 55/1.2 which is an M-style lens without electrical contacts, and using it that way isn't too hard. The M should be even less expensive than the A, and it is very widely available used.