Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
What's that smell?!

Oh, it's all the Pentaxians with defective SDM lenses short-circuiting their camera bodies. Nothing to worry about.
you could also say that peter has proven electronics works on somke, and not on holes and electrons, because it stopped working when the smoke leaked out

01-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
What's that smell?!

Oh, it's all the Pentaxians with defective SDM lenses short-circuiting their camera bodies. Nothing to worry about.
I am waiting to see photos of the flames!

Steve
01-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Congratulations peter

you have discovered a user implementable software fix for the people wwho want tu use screw drive as opposed to SDM. Just tape over the KAF2 power pins
But I thought the community has already established that simply taping over them doesn't work. The camera refuses to fall for that trick. If enabling screw-drive was as simple as taping the pins, the forum would have had it settled a long time ago.

Peter seems to have shorted the pins and fried something, which has had a different effect.
01-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
lol well that's a peculiar way of reacting to damamging your own equipment

01-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Wow! That's great news, I really wished I kept my 50-135 so I could give this a try. =P
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Dave, got your 50-135 on my Kx right now
I'm so proud and happy of the journeys my 50-135 has taken .

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
But I thought the community has already established that simply taping over them doesn't work. The camera refuses to fall for that trick. If enabling screw-drive was as simple as taping the pins, the forum would have had it settled a long time ago.

Peter seems to have shorted the pins and fried something, which has had a different effect.
Yeah, that's my understanding too - many people have taped over those contacts with no benefit, so there must have been something else that happened. There's someone else around here who has reported this exact thing before as well, months ago - I would have sworn it was Peter Zack, but I think we can rule that out .
01-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
It was me sort of. Different issue on another body. BTW. I don't recommend doing this until it can be figured out what really happened. I wish I had a PZ lens to see if that circuit is cooked.

The other one was a different K20D that started to develop a wierd AE-L button that would come on and off at any time. Then at the same time the SDM stopped working. I assumed that there was an internal issue that was all connected. That body is now gone as it wasn't cost effective to repair and no good for my work.

I'm going to see if I can replicate this on my K10D (I use it only for Screwmount leneses anyway) I'll try to do it carefully and see what happens. One thing I can say for sure. The camera was turned on and "awake" (I was rushing) and the pins would have been "live". I'll do my test this weekend.

The DA*16-50 is faster than it was but this lens sucks for focusing. It's frankly the worst lens I've ever used. In good light, it snaps right in. But if the light is poor or the contrast not well defined, then this lens is nearly useless. I don't use it in a dark church etc.

As someone said above, for a "top end" lens, this is a terrible representation of the company. Sad for a brand that built it's name on optics.
01-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm going to see if I can replicate this on my K10D (I use it only for Screwmount leneses anyway) I'll try to do it carefully and see what happens.
Would taping over the contacts with electric tape work, as well? EDIT: It probably won't. I found this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/66344-pentax-s...-better-2.html

01-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

So if SDM is less accurate and slower than in-body motor, what the heck's the point? Seems like it'd just add cost to each lens and not do any good.
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
So if SDM is less accurate and slower than in-body motor, what the heck's the point? Seems like it'd just add cost to each lens and not do any good.
It might be because it doesn't wake the neighbors and/or summon the police when focusing!

Steve
01-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Pentax will address this in the next firmware, it will disable screwdrive AF is SDM circuitry is fried
01-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #26

I recall trying to cover up those 2 pins to see if it would force the camera into screwdriving the focus, but it was not successful for me. Either I did it wrong, or the trick is to actually short them out as opposed to just covering them.
01-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Pentax will address this in the next firmware, it will disable screwdrive AF is SDM circuitry is fried
LOLed at that one
01-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Well I'm sad to report that the SD focus is not much better. I detail it here

Therr's just something about this design that doesn't work nearly as well. Btw I tried to replicate the 'accident" on the K10D but I can't yet.
02-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Well I'm sad to report that the SD focus is not much better. I detail it here
Peter,
What happened to the other thread you started (link in your post above) It just disappeared!
02-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #30

I bet all the RROD'd DA* owners out there will be furiously trying to mate their cameras with car batteries :P

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Because the other brands do it, and (unlike, say keeping your lens prices stable in a recession rather than doubling/tripling them) this is one case where Pentax have caught 'me too' syndrome.