Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
105mm Takumar dirt

After giving my 105mm Tak a cleaning, I noticed there is some dirt (or something) on the rear element. I googled to see if I could find info on taking this sucker apart to clean, but didn't have much luck. Anyone have any tips / links on doing this job? I'm hoping I can get just the rear element out without a complete tear down, but I know nothing about doing it.

01-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is this on the "outside" of the rear element?

If so, use alcohol to clean the element with a q-tip
01-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
is this on the "outside" of the rear element?

If so, use alcohol to clean the element with a q-tip
Nope, it's on the inside.
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Nope, it's on the inside.
too bad

however, I would venture that if yoou look at the rear of the lens, you can see in the photo the rear element retaining ring.

that should let you remove the rear element, you just need the right tool to engage the two slots

my super tak 85 F1.9 appears to be similar in that respect

01-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The rear element in this lens is actually a cemented doublet and if the marks to which you refer are a form of lens separation then it will not be possible to repair it (at least without taking out a bank loan). However you can open the lens to check but you will need a spanner wrench or a suitable substitute. This can be used to unscrew the rear element from the back of the lens. The spanner wrench should be engaged in the notch visible in your picture just inside the back of the lens and this should allow you to remove the rear element in its mount as a single unit without opening the rest of the lens. There is a cutaway diagram of this lens here: Die Cast Pro - Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 105mm f/2.8 Index
01-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Should I take this apart and see if it can be cleaned, or do you think that the dirt that's there shouldn't affect the quality that much? I've not got any before pics from this lens, so it would be hard for me to judge if there is much degradation in the picture. If you think it won't hurt that much, I may just leave it be.
01-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The best way to see is to take some pictures and see. If there's nothing to bother you and you find the photos good IQ wise, then there's no problem. The 'compared to what could be' is a slippery slope

I would imagine the problems if any show in these conditions - large even surfaces without much detail (i.e. take a pic of the clear northern sky) - the specular highlights in bokeh (i.e. take a pic of lights way out of focus).

For example, on a Tele-Takumar 50/4 I bought cheap and beat up recently:

I believe the stuff inside the light blobs is dust inside the lens, as this is a film shot. For me this is not significant and doesn't affect normal shots to where I would notice. But it's there. If I don't want the dirt in this sort of bokeh I'll just use a different lens.
01-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmm... Although your problem is quite different, the remedy still applies:

Brian Ayling's photographic repair tips

Kidding.