01-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
a M42 bod speaks sweet nothings to a M42 lens in native language
I've noticed that too

01-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You're worse than I ever dreamed. Every focal length from every maker?

I would settle for the fastest (relitively) at each length from any one maker and I thought I was in trouble?
no not ever maker every line Pentax makes Takumar, K, M, FA, F,DA then some mix and match from other manufacturers
01-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
no not ever maker every line Pentax makes Takumar, K, M, FA, F,DA then some mix and match from other manufacturers
Ok, now I understand.

once upon a time, someone posted a question "what is the ideal lens kit" to which I responded one of everything pentax ever made.

I think this is what you mean. it's just you are missing A, and you have not defined the difference between Takumar, Super takumar and SMC takumar. I could double your ideal kit with this definition
01-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do I have LBA or have I simply lost my mind?

Yes. Along with the rest of us.

01-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
...In using these, and my one real digression into LBA, a Super Tak 85mm F1.9, I have found that using the M42 lenses has some advantages over K mounts with respect to having Av exposure mode...

When you consider the K mounts are all fast or very fast, have I gone mad in wanting the same in M42?
Based on just this logic, yes, you've gone mad. It would be more logical to acquire A or later lenses for that purpose, at least when there is an A lens available. (At 28mm, there are some options, but at other focal lengths, not really.)

But as you can tell by the other replies and your own purchases, there's a lot more than logic behind acquiring new lenses. I just got a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 150mm f4 today, for really no reason at all.
01-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
But as you can tell by the other replies and your own purchases, there's a lot more than logic behind acquiring new lenses. I just got a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 150mm f4 today, for really no reason at all.
except that it is an unusual focal length
01-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about bending the aperture lever on your k-mount lenses a little outward ?
How about taking the back off and removing that lever (if reversable) ?
How about just pinching off that lever ?

There you have it , your k-mount AV-mode lens.

Also, please remember that you will not get a lens as fast in M42 as in K-mount, cause the back diameter is a little narrower.

After the purgatory of LBA (or was it the madness already?) there is only severe lens hacking left for some people to get to paradise :-)

Hope that helps,
Georg

01-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

LBA = MADNESS !!!
01-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have a simple formula to control LBA madness....

You should pick up these:
Life is not complete without the full line of Takumars, which includes the presets, autos, supers and SMCs (my life is not yet complete)
K mounts - still working on those.....in a fit of real madness, I sold my K15 Asp... (to be rectified)
A few DA* lenses as it rains here (strictly a "common sense" purchase)
The DA 12-24
The FA Ltds

Now the sensible part...
I don't buy
Ms
As
FAs (other than the limiteds)

See....it's all in control, well thought out lens hoarding.

oops...I just at lunch today picked up a M42 Tele-Tokina 135/2.8.....oh the humanity!
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote

Life is not complete without the full line of Takumars, which includes the presets, autos, supers and SMCs (my life is not yet complete)
K mounts - still working on those.....in a fit of real madness, I sold my K15 Asp... (to be rectified)
The DA 12-24
The FA Ltds

Now the sensible part...
I don't buy
Ms
As

oops...I just at lunch today picked up a M42 Tele-Tokina 135/2.8.....oh the humanity!
Oh god! When I think I've a handle on things, I read a post like this. Hysterical

I don't have a lens buying problem. I can buy them just fine. However, I do have a cash flow problem.
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No, Lowell, you have not gone mad. It is a perfectly logical in a strange sort of way.

As for me...I have definitely gone mad. I have two pristine M42 bodies (Ricoh Singlex TLS and Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL) and thought that it would be nice to put together a representative 1970 M42 kit (28, 50, 135, and 200). Fair enough, except that I already had most of the range covered with a couple Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses. Enter the skewed logic of LBA. All I need is a decent M42 28mm and the kit is complete. Please, don't anyone suggest a vintage flash.

Then there is the Ricoh debacle. I bought a full kit for my Ricoh XR7 back in the day composed of Tamron 28mm, Pentax-M 50/1.7, and 70-150 zoom. Sounds good, eh? Not good enough, however, for the demons of LBA/CBA. About this time last year, I decided I needed a cheap backup for the XR7 and got a Ricoh XR-2s. Still sounds good, except that seeing the stock XR Rikenon 50/1.7 on the XR-2s created a desire to have a matching copy for the XR7. I then saw an auction for a Ricoh power winder 2 and dedicated flash to the fit the XR7. Fortunately good sense intervened before I got one of both for the XR-2s! (The flash actually fits both cameras...)

It was about then that I noticed that my camera shelf had a glaring omission. Despite the fact that my stuff is VERY Pentax oriented, I had no Pentax film cameras. $200 later, I had a nicely CLA'd KX with Pentax-K 55/1.8. Why the 55 when I already have the M 50/1.7? Who knows?! I am insane!

This last spring saw purchase of the Pentax-FA 77/1.8 Limited despite the fact that I already have the Jupiter-9. Now the J-9 is doing duty with the M42 kit. The Helios 44M 58/2 was purchased about the same time. It is not like I am lacking for quality fast 50s or anything. At that point things started to quiet down. I had plenty of toys to play with and lots of film to shoot. A temporary remission I guess.

Come winter, the gray days have taken their toll and CBA is on the rise with the help of its old comrade, Nostalgia. My first camera was a Yashica Lynx 1000 rangefinder. That camera was lost to theft, but I always thought it would be nice to have another one. I was bored one day and did an eBay search for "Yashica Lynx". Bad mistake...the prices run cheap. Apparently a ton of these cameras were sold through the PX to soldiers serving in Vietnam. They are now surfacing in estate sales and such. Long story short...
  • 3 Lynx 5000 (1 for parts and 2 keepers)
  • 1 Lynx 5000E (sent back to seller...not as described)
  • 1 Lynx 1000 (not here yet...probably a keeper)
I am now developing a degree of knowledge of Lynx tear-down and repair in the anticipation of making at least one of these 4 Yashicas a functional user.

I am mad! I tell you! Mad!

Steve

P.S. Three of my Lynx have very nice complete cases. One even has the original lens chamois...

P.P.S. In case the Lynx meters are all unrepairable, I bought a Gossen Luna-Lux meter. I then figured that while I was spending money, I should get the meter on the 1000 DTL repaired and the body CLA'd ($125 for a camera that is only worth $50 on a good day). This is madness! Why do I need the meter working on the 1000 DTL? I just got the Gossen! The dual spot/average feature is not that cool...
01-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The DA 12-24
The FA Ltds

Now the sensible part...
I don't buy
Ms
As

so when are you going to let go of that other 135/2.5 copy?
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Yes...I've been contemplating that....how to bring it up I mean. How to I decide which one and how to I broach the subject with it...it's going to be most upset with me. (Sorry...it's already gone)
01-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
How about bending the aperture lever on your k-mount lenses a little outward ?
How about taking the back off and removing that lever (if reversable) ?
How about just pinching off that lever ?

There you have it , your k-mount AV-mode lens.

Also, please remember that you will not get a lens as fast in M42 as in K-mount, cause the back diameter is a little narrower.

After the purgatory of LBA (or was it the madness already?) there is only severe lens hacking left for some people to get to paradise :-)

Hope that helps,
Georg
Georg

I have not reached that point myself. I refuse to hack a pentax lens. I will however hack, mutilate and destroy any Nikon, canon, minolta lens I can find and convert into a stopped down K mount.

I have 2 at present, a Kiron 28mm F2 (MD mount) and a vivitar 24mmF2 (made by Kiron) both converted to K mount and able to maintain infinity focus, with a little work and use of a flanged M42 adaptor for the K mount.
01-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

The DA 12-24
The FA Ltds

Now the sensible part...
I don't buy
Ms
As

I can understand M's because in my mind there are very few Ms better than Ks (except maybe the 400 F5.6), but i am not so sure about As.