Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used it as a walk around lens in the San Diego area. The harbor, over in Coronado and out on the rocks in La Jolla, where I feel its wide angle capabilities are well suited. I think it is more about the situation. It is large, relatively speaking, but not over powering. What works for one person, is another's poison.

01-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I remember reading through my K100DS Magic Lantern guide and being really, really
impressed with the walkabout shots the photog who wrote that book took. Most
of them were taken with his 12-24 - it was after I read that book that I decided I
wanted that lens so much.

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-08-2010 at 11:20 PM.
01-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an interesting discussion. I have the 12-24 (love the lens, use it for interior, architecture and landscapes) and have used it for walk-around up to a point. I'm actually more comfortable using a 50-135 as a walk-about lens, it tends to suit the way I look at things better. But someone who thinks more in wider terms rather than close details might do better with the 12-24.

But for the last 6-8 months I've been really feeling a need for something between 24 and 50. I'm trying to decide between an FA 31 Ltd or the 16-50, with my preference being the weather sealing on the 16-50. I'm not so concerned about the SDM as I bought one of the first 50-135 lenses that's still working well after a couple of years (and also own two other SDM lenses but they are only a couple of months old so can't really judge yet about them). However, I am concerned about getting a good copy of the 16-50 as I tried with two copies this summer and ended up returning both of them (but not for SDM problems). If I had gotten a good one, I wouldn't hesitate to keep it for a walk-around lens. But since I did, I now sit on the fence between weather sealing (and taking another chance with the 16-50) and all the other choices out there. It's a good thing I don't have the money at the moment for any of them, it's easier to not make a decision right now.
01-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
It's a good thing I don't have the money at the moment for any of them, it's easier to not make a decision right now.
A sad but true point. Interesting that you prefer to use the 50-135 as a walkaround lens. I did it for one morning but my neck got sore, plus I feel it would balance/handle better with a k10/k20 body. Looking to get a neoprene strap to reduce strain on my neck.

As for the 16-50mm, what problem(s) did you encounter?

01-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
A sad but true point. Interesting that you prefer to use the 50-135 as a walkaround lens. I did it for one morning but my neck got sore, plus I feel it would balance/handle better with a k10/k20 body. Looking to get a neoprene strap to reduce strain on my neck.

As for the 16-50mm, what problem(s) did you encounter?
are you going to cover the games next month? not to mention the chinese new year festival as well? I'll be bringing with me a 12-24, 55-300 and probably an FA35/2.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 01-09-2010 at 12:30 AM.
01-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
are you going to cover the games next month? not to mention the chinese new year festival as well? I'll be bringing with me a 12-24, 55-300 and probably an FA35/2.
In the streets, yeah... I work around waterfront and so I think it'll be fun just taking street shots to & from work during the olympics. I guess the weather sealing will come in handy.

(for non-Vancouverites: Just in case you didn't know, we get rain. A lot of rain.)

That's perfect then, you cover the wide angle and I'll try to do everything in between
01-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #22

I like my 12-24 but for my walk-around lens in the city I use the 17-70. Just for me, I tend to need to reach out more often than I need to go wider in the city.

I would not get rid of a lens I'd bought because others reported bad experiences with this or that.
01-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
...the 50-135 as a walkaround lens. I did it for one morning but my neck got sore, .... Looking to get a neoprene strap to reduce strain on my neck.
My neck is the last place I'd hang my camera around ;-) No need for a new strap. Twist and wrap the strap around your wrist, failing that, on your shoulder.

01-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi esman, I own the 12-24, and I do occasionally use it as a walkaround. It does OK in that capacity, but I find it a bit wide for that. It simply lacks that bit more reach that I find I frequently need. I would agree that the 35mm would be a perfect complement, but doesn't that more or less negate the moniker "walk around"? If you are switching back and forth between the 35 and the 12-24, then the 12-24 is no longer a "walk around."
There is a solution however. I also own the FA 20-35, and for the times I want a walkaround lens wider than than my Tamron 28-75, I reach for the FA 20-35. I've found for the most part that 20mm is plenty wide enough, and the 35mm is long enough. It is very sharp throughout both its' focal length range and it's f stop range. It has the the super excellent pentax color rendition, and it is also a very good close focuser. I shoot lots of gardens and I would say that this lens is almost a perfect garden lens. The only drawbacks are minimum Fstop is a relatively slow F4.0 and it's also moderately rare, you might have to hunt for a few months to find one. However if you do find one I don't think you will be dissappointed.

NaCl(it's one of those pentax "sleeper" lenses)H2O
01-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I always keep the camera around my neck or cross-shoulder, I like having my hands free. I have an Optech neck strap, I bought the reporter one because it allowed me to carry two cameras easily (I used to do that when I had a DS and a K100, rarely now but the strap really helps when carrying extra weight). For some reason I've never been bothered with carrying/using the 50-135 with any of the Pentax cameras without a grip. I didn't find weight/size to be an issue until I got the DA*300.

My first copy of the 16-50 was really horribly soft/fuzzy as well as being decentered. I returned it for another that was really sharp (I could see why people love this lens), but I think it had been damaged in transit (the outside box had one end crinkled up - looks like someone dropped it on a concrete floor) and the zoom ring was really stiff at a certain point as well as showing a bit of decentering (can that be caused by damage, something being knocked out of alignment?). I was really tempted to keep that one and send it in for repair of the zoom ring, but decided that it was silly to spend all that money and get something that wasn't working right straight out of the box, so I returned it for a refund. I didn't try for a third copy because I wanted to get the K-7 rebate and I had also bought the DA 10-17 at the same time, so I was up against a time-crunch.
01-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
My neck is the last place I'd hang my camera around ;-) No need for a new strap. Twist and wrap the strap around your wrist, failing that, on your shoulder.
I generally do use my shoulder and hand for the strap but there comes a point in every session where I go snap happy and there's lots of stuff going on (i.e. Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo) and I know if the strap slips off or I banged the lens against something, I'd freak.

My first copy of the 16-50 was really horribly soft/fuzzy as well as being decentered. I returned it for another that was really sharp (I could see why people love this lens), but I think it had been damaged in transit (the outside box had one end crinkled up - looks like someone dropped it on a concrete floor) and the zoom ring was really stiff at a certain point as well as showing a bit of decentering (can that be caused by damage, something being knocked out of alignment?). I was really tempted to keep that one and send it in for repair of the zoom ring, but decided that it was silly to spend all that money and get something that wasn't working right straight out of the box, so I returned it for a refund. I didn't try for a third copy because I wanted to get the K-7 rebate and I had also bought the DA 10-17 at the same time, so I was up against a time-crunch.
So far, everything seems to be working fine, except for the slight vignetting wide open. As many people have reported that and can be somewhat "pleasing" in certain situations, I couldn't really care. It's more the BF/FF and SDM issues. But ahhh who cares. Personally, I like the distortion at the wide end because it gives a photojournalistic style of shooting... which leads me to another question...

Would you guys think that the 16-50mm is the ideal Pentax lens to provide photojournalism style shots? I prefer documentary style pics and the option of range is more convenient than primes. In my head, I'm thinking of pictures of riot police and disturbance in the streets. Call me messed up, but I find those photos interesting as they tell a story to many people who would be afraid to be there in the first place.
01-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I had front focusing problems with my 12-24 (camera correctable).

Photojournalism isn't my thing, but the couple of times I've shot police and press activity I wasn't allowed close enough to use anything other than a 300 mm lens, and still had to crop. If B.C. is anything like L.A., don't count on the 16-50 being long enough unless you have a press pass or are an emergency responder. I did use the 50-135 once for a demonstration, but it was easier to get close.
01-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I had front focusing problems with my 12-24 (camera correctable).

Photojournalism isn't my thing, but the couple of times I've shot police and press activity I wasn't allowed close enough to use anything other than a 300 mm lens, and still had to crop. If B.C. is anything like L.A., don't count on the 16-50 being long enough unless you have a press pass or are an emergency responder. I did use the 50-135 once for a demonstration, but it was easier to get close.
it's the same here. you can't take photos up close of the police. the funny thing is I was able and allowed to shot photos inside a military installation but can't get a picture of the RCMP as if they are someone special. DUH ! can't even solve and do something about the growing drug related killings here in the province. can't believe these guys act like tough guys when dealing with the average citizens and just disappear when the shooting starts.
01-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, maybe I should have phrased that differently... that style of shooting is what I enjoy, but I could care less about covering police incidents. Moreso big crowds int eh streets i.e. winter olympics are what I'm going for
01-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm going to chime in, I have a sigma 10-20mm, and in BC its a great walk about lens, as you often want to "fit in" some awsome scenery with a shot of someone, (a picture of half a mountain with someone infront of it sucks compared to a whole mountain...)

Thats my 2 cents