Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
35mm 2.8 macro lens cap + filter?

Hi,

I just put my 35mm 2.8 Macro limited on for the first time, and ran into an apparent issue: after attching a B+W MRC clear protective filter, the screw-on lens cap will no longer attach to the lens. (The filter is deep enough to prevent the lens cap from reaching its threads on the lens).

I guess the question is: do I need a thin wide-angle filter, or do I need a new lens cap? If anybody out there is using a filter on your 35 2.8, please let me know how you are dealing with the lens cap situation...

thanks...

01-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Or... do you need to not worry about the filter? That would be my solution.
01-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
Hi,

I just put my 35mm 2.8 Macro limited on for the first time, and ran into an apparent issue: after attching a B+W MRC clear protective filter, the screw-on lens cap will no longer attach to the lens. (The filter is deep enough to prevent the lens cap from reaching its threads on the lens).

I guess the question is: do I need a thin wide-angle filter, or do I need a new lens cap? If anybody out there is using a filter on your 35 2.8, please let me know how you are dealing with the lens cap situation...

thanks...
Loose the filter.
01-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
Hi,

thanks...
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Or... do you need to not worry about the filter? That would be my solution.
IOW, why are you putting another piece of glass between your subject and such a fine optic?

Punt the "protective filter" and exercise appropriate caution with your lens.

01-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess you could get a 49 mm squeeze cap.
01-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'm more comfortable using a filter. As soon as I can find time I will do tests to see if I find the filter degrades the image, and if it does so in a way I find objectionable I will not use it. In the meantime I am looking for a solution that accomodates a filter on the 35mm 2.8 lens.
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #7

You can pull out the retractable hood over the filter a little bit, then the cap can fit over it nice and snug. This is what I did, but then I stopped using the filter because I like my glass unimpaired.

01-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flockofbirds Quote
You can pull out the retractable hood over the filter a little bit, then the cap can fit over it nice and snug. This is what I did, but then I stopped using the filter because I like my glass unimpaired.
Great idea. Thanks.