Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #31
Igilligan

Its me, its me... It's Ernest T.

QuoteOriginally posted by p0opstlnksal0t Quote
not sure what the huffing and puffing is about these lense threads???
well I guess in my defense the DCL includes lenses which need adapters like M42 etc... this is strictly k mount... I guess if admin see's that its too similar he can merge them.

also, i know how grumpy everyone gets when another "club" thread pops up, so i left this out of the title

Hey poopstinksalot,

No... it is only me! It is not everyone. I am the one and only Grumpy Gus

I will say that calling it a thread instead of a club, was freakin' brilliant...

I just wish you had been a little more specific. You limited it to 50 dollars ... what about ebay/paypal fees?

See now, someone can start another thread called the 'The GREAT under $50 lens thread' only they will have as their participation criteria:

'The GREAT under $50 lens thread'

lens qualifications:
-cost was under 50 bucks shipped and after tax, not including ebay / paypal fees
-must fit k-mount pentax without an adapter (K, KA, KAF, or KAF2)
-can be auto or manual focus
-can be primes or zooms

You take my huffin and puffin' the wrong way. I love these Club threads. They are fun and informative and a great way to find lenses. If it was not for these threads, many would never look for lenses that did not have Pentax stamped on them. (and there are so many wonderful old lens out there)

But we have had three new club/threads in three days. All I want is for them to have their own sub-forum. And to be moderated a bit for duplication.

01-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scrib Quote
N00b question: what is the difference between the Pentax K and M series?
The important part is, they work the same with the camera. When Pentax introduced their bayonet mount, most of their new lenses were screw-mount designs with a new mount and different cosmetics. We call these lenses the K series because all the other lenses have a letter designation, although they just say "SMC Pentax" on them. For some reason, many of these lenses have 52mm filter rings.

Then competitors started to gain market share with small cameras, so Pentax came out with smaller cameras and the downsized M series lenses. Some designs suffered in quality by downsizing, such as at 28mm, and some got better, like the Pentax-M 135mm f3.5. They also returned to 49mm filter rings as the basic size. In general, Pentax has continued with the smaller sizes since, with a few exceptions.
01-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #33
Igilligan

A perfect example Lowell

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what is the difference between this and the dirt cheap lens club?

Note

FA 28-80 F3.5-4.5 $10 cdn
Vivitrar 28mm F2.5 M42 $9 cdn
Tamron 20mm F2.5 $12 cdn
helios 44-2 55mm F2 M42 $12
kiron 28mm F2 (MD mount converted to K mount) $13.5 including lens, flanged adaptor and shipping.
The Dirt Cheap Lens Club... started off like gangbusters. It was a great place to post those cheapies that you stumbled on at a garage sale or ebay... But it has not had a post since 8/30/09. Why?

Not because anyone has not found a cheap lens of late, but because once it dropped to page 3, nobody could remember the name of it! Had it been in a lens club sub-thread, it probably would have continued to be posted in. Had it been "moderated" the title may have been changed to something that was more 'search friendly'.

I am the smartest man, in the world... Why won't / would people listen to me???
01-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
The Dirt Cheap Lens Club... started off like gangbusters. It was a great place to post those cheapies that you stumbled on at a garage sale or ebay... But it has not had a post since 8/30/09. Why?

Not because anyone has not found a cheap lens of late, but because once it dropped to page 3, nobody could remember the name of it! Had it been in a lens club sub-thread, it probably would have continued to be posted in. Had it been "moderated" the title may have been changed to something that was more 'search friendly'.

I agree my friend, i even did a search for "cheap lens" and did see that thread on the first couple pages so i assumed it hadnt been made... I have been scouring it however and really enjoy it

01-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #35

Original Poster
Hey poopstinksalot,

No... it is only me! It is not everyone. I am the one and only Grumpy Gus

I will say that calling it a thread instead of a club, was freakin' brilliant...

I just wish you had been a little more specific. You limited it to 50 dollars ... what about ebay/paypal fees?

See now, someone can start another thread called the 'The GREAT under $50 lens thread' only they will have as their participation criteria:

'The GREAT under $50 lens thread'

lens qualifications:
-cost was under 50 bucks shipped and after tax, not including ebay / paypal fees
-must fit k-mount pentax without an adapter (K, KA, KAF, or KAF2)
-can be auto or manual focus
-can be primes or zooms

You take my huffin and puffin' the wrong way. I love these Club threads. They are fun and informative and a great way to find lenses. If it was not for these threads, many would never look for lenses that did not have Pentax stamped on them. (and there are so many wonderful old lens out there)

But we have had three new club/threads in three days. All I want is for them to have their own sub-forum. And to be moderated a bit for duplication.
I think a brand new THE "Great under $49.95 lens" THREAD is in order, and I will dedicate it to you my friend!
01-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scrib Quote

N00b question: what is the difference between the Pentax K and M series?
  • "K" comes before "M"
  • "K" are physically larger
  • Most "M" have different optical design
  • Both series are excellent with a small edge for optical quality going to the "K"

Steve
01-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The obvious solution is to decide which is the best thread by a poll.

01-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think a brand new THE "Great under $49.95 lens" THREAD is in order, and I will dedicate it to you my friend!
I would suggest the "Great under $51.53 Lens" thread to reflect the realistic max bid for that kind of item.

Steve
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #39
Igilligan

Dear Mr Poopstinksalot,

Can we just call you Poop?

Now your talkin... it is such a prettier number and has a real 'Ronco' ring to it!

$49.95

Throw in some ginsu knives... but wait, there's more
01-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #40
Site Supporter

There is now a "Sticky" with a Club index.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86170-lens-club-index.html
01-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am amazed this thread has gone three pages without anyone mentioning the Pentax 35mm f/3.5. I got mine for 22€ in good condition back in 2006. There's bang for the buck for you!
01-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about some pictures to go with your cheaply priced lenses?
One of my most precious lenses is a Vivitar I paid less than $50.00 for and it is now my most used lens...
01-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought this would be good for those people interested in the cheap gems like me.... I have been scouring lately for good cheapies, and for the money ive spent im sure i could have picked up a nice ltd prime, lol...

lens qualifications:
-cost was under 50 bucks shipped and after tax and all fees
are items with rebate, good?
01-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #44

Original Poster
Dear Mr Poopstinksalot,

Can we just call you Poop?

Now your talkin... it is such a prettier number and has a real 'Ronco' ring to it!

$49.95

Throw in some ginsu knives... but wait, there's more
poop is fine. call now and well double your offer for free!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
nice my man, maybe it will get stickied

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
are items with rebate, good?
sure, rebated items are good too, we can do this slickdeals style.
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
How about some pictures to go with your cheaply priced lenses?
One of my most precious lenses is a Vivitar I paid less than $50.00 for and it is now my most used lens...
which model?