Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"You had to go and bring up the 1.0. However, why stop there? Bring out the 0.95"

It's funny you mention the f/.95 noctilux because a lot of leicaphiles are waging a war over the difference between f/1.0 and f/0.95 - and whether that small difference will merit the cost,weight or whether the lens offers any real benefit over the classic noctilux. However in this case, the difference goes far beyond the f/ number on the lens. Leica have changed the optical construction of the f/0.95 lens stripping it of the qualities* that made the classic noctilux 50mm f/1.0 the legend it is today. It is largely a matter of taste, though personally I am not a fan of the newer noctilux, if I want an optically over corrected 50mm I'll stick with the summilux 50mm f/1.4 thank you very much.....but, I digress..

*this is my take on the Leica 50mm f/1.0 Vs f/0.95 I have tested them both side by side on film and digital(M9) and this is just my opinion.

07-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
"You had to go and bring up the 1.0. However, why stop there? Bring out the 0.95"

It's funny you mention the f/.95 noctilux because a lot of leicaphiles are waging a war over the difference between f/1.0 and f/0.95 - and whether that small difference will merit the cost,weight or whether the lens offers any real benefit over the classic noctilux. However in this case, the difference goes far beyond the f/ number on the lens. Leica have changed the optical construction of the f/0.95 lens stripping it of the qualities* that made the classic noctilux 50mm f/1.0 the legend it is today. It is largely a matter of taste, though personally I am not a fan of the newer noctilux, if I want an optically over corrected 50mm I'll stick with the summilux 50mm f/1.4 thank you very much.....but, I digress..

*this is my take on the Leica 50mm f/1.0 Vs f/0.95 I have tested them both side by side on film and digital(M9) and this is just my opinion.
I love that someone here has had both to compare. Makes me feel better about my lens buying problem.
07-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

Based on just looking at images from them, I agree with you. I have seen more images from the 1.0 that I like than the 0.95. The lens I've really wanted to try out but is out of my price league is the vintage Nocti-Nikkor 58mm/1.2. At least I have a shade for one. I find the combination of 58mm and that aperture interesting.
07-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love that someone here has had both to compare. Makes me feel better about my lens buying problem.

I'm a collector, I just like 50mm lenses so much so that I have bought and used A lot of them. I'll admit to being extremely tempted to buy f/0.95 version to keep my 50mm collection complete. I'm sure I'll find a use for it, however due to the fact that it blocks the frame lines even more than the original f/1.0 noctilux did and since it has an even bigger lens hood that blocks even more of the viewfinder I think Leica has officially crossed the line in regards to lens size.

"Based on just looking at images from them, I agree with you. I have seen more images from the 1.0 that I like than the 0.95. The lens I've really wanted to try out but is out of my price league is the vintage Nocti-Nikkor 58mm/1.2. At least I have a shade for one. I find the combination of 58mm and that aperture interesting. "

I have a mint condition copy of the 58mm f/1.2 noct nikkor, but it doesn't have the hood with it.....