Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

if we are trying to save the OP from Buyer's remorse, I believe he needs to learn it himself. a personal lens' experience is the best way of knowing about the lens, aside from other sources.

01-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Cosina 55mm F1.2 for Pentax K-mount - eBay (item 200425504058 end time Jan-13-10 15:47:57 PST)

Here's a nice 1.2 that went for over a grand. Wait, ...WTF??!?!?
01-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winnie Quote
Cosina 55mm F1.2 for Pentax K-mount - eBay (item 200425504058 end time Jan-13-10 15:47:57 PST)

There is someone out there with Leno money or very new and naive. The seller linked to this thread here at PF.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/41357-cosina-55mm-1-1-2-club.html
01-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #49
Veteran Member

a lot of people asked questions regarding shipping, none bought it.

01-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
a lot of people asked questions regarding shipping, none bought it.
It says "winning bid $1001" following 37 bids. The winner is coded as e**f. Am I missing something?
01-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It says "winning bid $1001" following 37 bids. The winner is coded as e**f. Am I missing something?
yes, it's the same person who kept on bumping up the price. check the names of the 37 bids made. most of them done by the same bidder each time. that should give you a clue that it's extremely fishy. btw, check out the letters of the winning bidder, and the seller. I highly suspect that's another ebay account by the seller. you should look out for these kinds of pattern bidding.
01-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
yes, it's the same person who kept on bumping up the price. check the names of the 37 bids made. most of them done by the same bidder each time. that should give you a clue that it's extremely fishy. btw, check out the letters of the winning bidder, and the seller. I highly suspect that's another ebay account by the seller. you should look out for these kinds of pattern bidding.
I did look at that. However, its possible that the alleged winning bitter enter 2 "maximum bids." Plus, someone else put in a $1,000 bid. The winner has a 3 rating. It is more difficult to watch this kind of thing though with this anonymous randomizing. The seller doesn't seem obviously involved in shill bidding based on a recent tamron 90mm adaptall sale.

Edit: The letters don't mean much anyway in the randomization. Plus, the c***s person put in quit a few bids and their patter is more fishy than e**f.

Last edited by Blue; 01-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was kind of surprised to win mine (just like that) for $202.50. I'd sell it for $800.

I was watching this one today, only the second time I've seen this lens, and the first time, I was the second of two bidders. Wide open IQ is pretty similar to the Cosina; I hope the winner isn't expecting something like the FA*24/2.

Vivitar 24mm f2 for Pentax KA Mount. 24mm f2 PK-A Mount - eBay (item 280447961563 end time Jan-13-10 17:46:00 PST)
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I did look at that. However, its possible that the alleged winning bitter enter 2 "maximum bids." Plus, someone else put in a $1,000 bid. The winner has a 3 rating. It is more difficult to watch this kind of thing though with this anonymous randomizing. The seller doesn't seem obviously involved in shill bidding based on a recent tamron 90mm adaptall sale.

Edit: The letters don't mean much anyway in the randomization. Plus, the c***s person put in quit a few bids and their patter is more fishy than e**f.
maybe they are in cahoots just to make it less suspicious?
anyway, I would be taking a close eye on the item and seller if ever this particular lens appears again on eBay.

anyway, jacking up the price like what the e**f bidder doesn't make sense. not to mention the time frame. really fishy.
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I was kind of surprised to win mine (just like that) for $202.50. I'd sell it for $800.

I was watching this one today, only the second time I've seen this lens, and the first time, I was the second of two bidders. Wide open IQ is pretty similar to the Cosina; I hope the winner isn't expecting something like the FA*24/2.

Vivitar 24mm f2 for Pentax KA Mount. 24mm f2 PK-A Mount - eBay (item 280447961563 end time Jan-13-10 17:46:00 PST)
well, it is still an F2 24mm lens and looked in pristine condition. worth the price IMO. though worried about the oils on it in the long run.
07-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #56

. . . several A f1.2 have recently gone for $480-$500. . . .
I'd like to know what a damaged one is worth - yesterday, I passed over a K version that had oily blades, and a split in the rubber focussing ring. I just wasn't sure what it would cost to fix/replace the imperfections.
07-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by openyourap Quote
I'd like to know what a damaged one is worth - yesterday, I passed over a K version that had oily blades, and a split in the rubber focussing ring. I just wasn't sure what it would cost to fix/replace the imperfections.
It depends on what you pay for it. A cleaning, including the aperture blades would be around $75 & shipping.
07-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #58

It was around USD200 - good, but not great once the cleaning, postage and new focussing ring costs are factored in.
07-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I know technically, there is not much difference, but I was just wondering about photo-wise. Is there enough of a difference between the two to justify me saving my money up for the f1.2 in case I run across one, or would it be better to just get another f1.4 that supports autofocus?
If you shot the same subject under teh same conditions wide open at f/1.2 and f/1.4 with, say, their "A" versions, printed them big (assuming both are in focus, exposed properly, etc), and laid down a series for a Coke vs. Pepsi face-off, you'd probably see no difference in practical viewing unless someone knows how to count aperture blades (9 for 1.2, 8 for 1.4). Good luck with that.

For aesthetic performance, no difference.

As for the comments about newbies getting a fast fifty. Absolutely. Great advice. It gets people moving their feet and allows for greater DOF and isolation opportunities that are the bread and butter of good photography.
07-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If you shot the same subject under teh same conditions wide open at f/1.2 and f/1.4 with, say, their "A" versions, printed them big (assuming both are in focus, exposed properly, etc), and laid down a series for a Coke vs. Pepsi face-off, you'd probably see no difference in practical viewing unless someone knows how to count aperture blades (9 for 1.2, 8 for 1.4). Good luck with that.

For aesthetic performance, no difference.

As for the comments about newbies getting a fast fifty. Absolutely. Great advice. It gets people moving their feet and allows for greater DOF and isolation opportunities that are the bread and butter of good photography.
I would be willing to bet you could tell the difference in DOF with both at about 2 feet focusing distance, but wide open no one can tell the number of aperture blades, because you can't see them.,

you can only determine the number of aperture blades by either the shape of OOF point source lights, or by the number of lines in a star burst pattern you get when stopped way down, and generating flare from a bright light.

A lens with 8 blades produces 8 visible lines if the aperture remains symertrically centered, or 8 pair of lines if the aperture is not symetrically centered, a lens with 9 blades produces 18 lines. This is because each discontinuity in the image circle actually makes a line in both directions but if the aperture is symmetrical an even number of blades produces overlaping lines.