Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Since you purchased from WarehouseExpress (which I believe is UK based), why didn't you approach them for an exchange when you discovered the problem?
Also I can't understand why the original lens could not have been repaired. Where I am it would have been sent direct to Pentax Japan if the local Pentax tech can't address the issue.
No...id rather deal with the very reliable and competent Pentax service company here in sweden. They are the ones that work for ME as a Pentax user. They work directly with Pentax. Warehouse is just a "online store".

I expect to recieve an call from my company on monday.

I'll will keep this thread updated on how things will turn out.

Im not going in flames in anger here Im not small minded. BUT i will not accept this. The lens i had was MINT besides its optical faults. This new one is heavily used and does not match the last one.

AND....second hand value is greatly reduced with this!

01-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I received a refurb 50-135 replacement also but mine is just like new. I'd definitely send it back as unacceptable. They should have asked you if you wanted a refurb before sending it to you in the first place. This doesn't help their credibility at all.
01-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm confident that if they had sent the lens to Pentax Japan, he would had received a clean and properly fixed lens.
That might be so - but would have been the time frame for an exchange via Japan? Six months, nine months? In the past Pentax Japan prooved extraordinarily unresponsive to any inquiries from Germany, may it be from customers or even from Pentax Germany.

I think, it is basically a logical decision to send a defective product to the official manufacturer's service. That should shorten service times and the lens is where it belongs anyway. And as I wrote, in the past Pentax Germany prvided very capable services, with short turn-around times and a high service quality level. It is only the change to that new external repair shop, that things got that bad.

Ben
01-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
I ordered a vivitar flash off ebay once and i stopped working after a day. After about a month of trying to reach vivitar by email and phone and failing i asked the ebay store if they could replace it and they did so no questions asked, so i think if ive ever got a problem with something im just gonna go back to the place i bought it from and let them hassle the company
Whenever the lab I work at sells a product we stand behind it. We encourage any customer to bring it in, rather than try dealing with the repair centers.
It's just art of the business. The good thing is we rarely have any issues. However we don't sell that many top end Pentax lenses

01-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Made a few test shots at the focus chart for the heck of it.
135mm 2,8

135mm 5,6

50mm 2,8

50mm 5,6

Seems focus is a tiny tad in front of point, adjusted to +5 and that worked.
And left side is softer! Exactly as my last one, but this time better.

Still a litle upset though......

Last edited by the swede; 01-10-2010 at 06:06 AM.
01-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
You should be
01-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
If you're willing to throw away $1000 for the sake of science, disassemble the lens yourself and take some pics and study the motor. The world wants to know whether SDM motors are piezoelectric motors.

01-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
If you're willing to throw away $1000 for the sake of science, disassemble the lens yourself and take some pics and study the motor. The world wants to know whether SDM motors are piezoelectric motors.

No...im not "willing" to do that! If i won the lottery, i would though

I would do more crazy things than that to....but thats a completely different thread......or forum......
01-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On avait en France un tres bon service Pentax, mais maintenant que c'est un sous-traitant, les choses vont plus mal. Avant le service Pentax donnait des conseils par telephone et aujourd'hui on ne peut même plus les appeler. C'est a nouvelle politique de Hoya.
01-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Pentax has stated many times the DA* lens are sent to Japan to be refurbished as they are too complicated for repair shops, they are not trained to repair them. Its kinda well known you will get back a refurb when you send in a DA* lens. Here in the USA Pentax has trained and is starting to use C.R.I.S to do all their repairs. JohnCPentax has even said customers may get refurbished DA* lens. Maybe in other countries they do repair them, I am not sure but I don't think so, I think the customers think they are repaired until a customer gets one like yours and knows...
01-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Pentax has stated many times the DA* lens are sent to Japan to be refurbished as they are too complicated for repair shops, they are not trained to repair them. Its kinda well known you will get back a refurb when you send in a DA* lens. Here in the USA Pentax has trained and is starting to use C.R.I.S to do all their repairs. JohnCPentax has even said customers may get refurbished DA* lens. Maybe in other countries they do repair them, I am not sure but I don't think so, I think the customers think they are repaired until a customer gets one like yours and knows...
if they really sent them to Japan, well that would be a first that japanese Pentax employees did a lousy job. from my experiences of buying something from Japan, particularly lenses, I had received my copies in glittering glass condition eventhough they are used or refurbed. very un-japanese to leave such grease mark on the lens.hmmm........
01-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

But a fact for USA...

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if they really sent them to Japan, well that would be a first that japanese Pentax employees did a lousy job. from my experiences of buying something from Japan, particularly lenses, I had received my copies in glittering glass condition eventhough they are used or refurbed. very un-japanese to leave such grease mark on the lens.hmmm........
Per John Carlson Product manager in the USA they were sent to Japan, it is just a fact in the USA. He also wrote a post some time ago hinting that all DA*s in the world were sent to Japan. Here is a quote from John and the link. If you like I can find the other link given time.

"we have authorized repair facilities around the country, but none of them are authorized to repair SDM lenses. In fact, until a couple weeks ago, no one in the US had training to repair these lenses. Before this training all SDM lenses we received in the U.S. were sent back to Japan for service."

Got a repair estimate for my 3 faulty SDM lenses .... [Page 7]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Now C.R.I.S in Arizona can handle DA* lens... not positive about around the world but I am pretty sure all were suppose to be sent to Japan. In this case who knows what happened, but a refurb is what USA owners received as stated by John C above. So... I don't know
01-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I don't know about the US, but this is not true for Germany, at least. Sending back DA* lenses to Japan was only necessary during the first six months, when they were released, because technicians had no training and the mandatory measuring equipment wasn't available in Europe. That has changed to the better even befor Pentax sourced out the service departments over here and now the lenses are repaired in our service centers (or whatever is called so.)

My own DA 16-50, which broke down completely was not exchanged for a refurbished one, but indeed repaired. The repair job seems to be fine, but took more than two months to complete, which is unacceptable. And I know for sure, that this lens did not travel to Japan, but lay in Hamburg and gathered dust for the most part of the turnaround-time.

Ben
01-11-2010, 04:28 AM   #44

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the topic of externally sourced service centres... I made use of "Reflecta" in Spain for the repaid of a pretty banged up K20D (Tripod Fall).

Took around a month but came back like new... same serial as the original I sent. I would have no issues in sending them any further items to fix.

Maybe the country specific service centres are not all at the same level... maybe your case was an unfortunate exception.

Hope you get it sorted, what they sent to you is not acceptable.
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #45
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Breaking News!!!

made a new thread!

Last edited by the swede; 01-11-2010 at 02:59 PM.