Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That really sucks, sucks big time. Hope all goes well for you. It's sad that Pentax no longer has a real repair factory, hopefully they do open a real one in the future if sales continue to do well.

01-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may well work fine for you, but I'm not sure what Pentax has done is right.
If they couldn't repair yours under warranty, they should have replaced it with a new one - that's what warranty's for - not to be shafted with a clearly refurbished seconds copy.
Call them and ask them about this.
01-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #18

I remember when people were first having problems with their 50-135's, sending them in and getting back a brand new lens. That didn't make any sense to me, what was Pentax doing, throwing them out? But getting back a somewhat damaged OLDER lens than you send in for warranty repair, that's not going to be very popular at all, leaves a bad taste for service. Why can't they just repair what is sent in??
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
I remember when people were first having problems with their 50-135's, sending them in and getting back a brand new lens. That didn't make any sense to me, what was Pentax doing, throwing them out? But getting back a somewhat damaged OLDER lens than you send in for warranty repair, that's not going to be very popular at all, leaves a bad taste for service. Why can't they just repair what is sent in??
They can be sold as factory seconds/refurbished if returned not fully functional/in as new condition under warranty. But they should be sold as such, not under any guises.

01-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #20

What did they say on the repair slip? I had a lens repair by CRIS and they clearly indicate what they do to it. Wondering if yours say lens replacement w/ a broken flange
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the support guys! I just dont know what to expect or to do as its my first service deal....

But the company who handles the Pentax inquaries in sweden is realy great and i always get mail back the same day i send them. But its weekend now, so i
l'll have to wait til monday, and take it from there.

Notice: In my mails with them (swedish service) they said that IF the lens was originally bought in Sweden i would have got a new one at once.

BUT: Since the lens was bought at WarehouseExpress (online), they (swedish service) were not allowed by Pentax to give me a new!

There isnt any explanation and the swedish firm doesnt know. After all, they're just midle hand.

Edit1: The receipt just says "exchanged lens".

Edit2: Had a look under the edge of the hood mount thingy.....its so obvious now and visible under the edge to that its a glued on broken part.

Last edited by the swede; 01-08-2010 at 03:31 PM.
01-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I can understand them replacing the lens with a refurbished lens....so long as the lens that is sent to you is in the same physical condition as you got your brand-new lens back in June (ie, mint).

This isn't the case and they should have cleared this replacement with you first.

Sorry to hear about this and I hope that Pentax tries to rectify this the way it should have been done in the first place.

The other thing that doesn't sit well with me about this is that Pentax won't allow the Swedish service to replace the lens with a new one. Pentax (as a whole) should be standing behind their products, no matter where you purchased them and should be encouraging the Swedish service centre to make this right....not tying their hands.

01-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
The other thing that doesn't sit well with me about this is that Pentax won't allow the Swedish service to replace the lens with a new one. Pentax (as a whole) should be standing behind their products, no matter where you purchased them and should be encouraging the Swedish service centre to make this right....not tying their hands.
Taxes? Tolls, customs? EU Laws?

There's always something. And this is Sweden. I'll never buy a new lens here. No one does anymore. Were hoping that prices will drop to the same level as US lenses (prob not) of we stop buying home. To bad for the local shops but...

On more thing about Sweden. If you earn 500 as a private company/bussines you get to keep 100 of it.
01-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess the questions I have all start with the warranty on your lens.

What is the warranty from the seller, for international repair. Does it state repair in any country or does it state replace if repaired in other than origonal country of sale?

I agree with the comments that you should have been notified of replacement and replacement should only be if it is beyond repair, not just for turn around time.

but that is the risk of international purchasing.

I know someone who bought a computer internationally years ago, and it was replaced (exchanged) 3 times under warranty. Each time with an older computer of the same model
01-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

you bought a new one and got an ugly refurbished one as a replacement? that ain't right. irregardless of where you bought the lens. I wouldn't mind getting a refurbished product, as long as it's the same lens and is refurbished properly. not something that look liked fixed unprofessionally by your nextdoor neighbor unqualified mechanic.
01-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Since you purchased from WarehouseExpress (which I believe is UK based), why didn't you approach them for an exchange when you discovered the problem?
Also I can't understand why the original lens could not have been repaired. Where I am it would have been sent direct to Pentax Japan if the local Pentax tech can't address the issue.
01-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Sometimes it's better to have it "repaired" than to return it to the retailer and risk getting another bad copy. It's also morally correct to send it in to repairs than to replace it back to the retailer in which it was not their fault that these lenses are faulty. Who would of thought that sending a lens in under warranty from a known company for repairs would end up like this. I wouldn't ever think that something like this could happen to me if I had a perfectly clean lens for repairs, and they end up giving you a different lens that looks like it's been cleaned by a sweatshop in the slums of China. Whether it's a different lens or not or whether it's been repaired or not, at least do it correctly. I mean sheesh is it that hard to clean the front element without leaving cleaning marks?
01-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
It's also morally correct to send it in to repairs than to replace it back to the retailer in which it was not their fault that these lenses are faulty.
Don't retailers send defective lenses back to the maker? And I think they are more powerful than any single consumer.

Last edited by causey; 01-09-2010 at 06:30 AM.
01-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Since you purchased from WarehouseExpress (which I believe is UK based), why didn't you approach them for an exchange when you discovered the problem?
Also I can't understand why the original lens could not have been repaired. Where I am it would have been sent direct to Pentax Japan if the local Pentax tech can't address the issue.
I'm confident that if they had sent the lens to Pentax Japan, he would had received a clean and properly fixed lens.
01-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #30

I ordered a vivitar flash off ebay once and i stopped working after a day. After about a month of trying to reach vivitar by email and phone and failing i asked the ebay store if they could replace it and they did so no questions asked, so i think if ive ever got a problem with something im just gonna go back to the place i bought it from and let them hassle the company