Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DA*50-135mm back from Pentax, and its a refurb!

Sent my DA* 50-135 to Pentax germany in September. Fault was. Bad BF and decentering.

Got it back today.

Old lens nr: 9118180
New lens: 9000683

Im kinda dissapointed to see this also:
Glued on broken small part. Some dust under front element (not visible here).

Signs off previous use, and/or recent repair.

Last edited by the swede; 01-11-2010 at 02:37 PM.
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Argue, dispute, fight!
01-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

mount scratches are acceptable in my book - but that glued on piece of plastic, regardless of size, is absurd. I vote fight as well.
01-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There are also a number of large dusts or coating marks on your front element.

01-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ask for a new one or your lens fixed.
01-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Whichever service centre you used, you should send them (and Pentax Head Office) a link to this thread. This is shameful behaviour and someone's head ought to roll on this one.
01-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
I would just chalk that up to good lighting and a nice macro lens shot - you wouldn't believe the details that come out of an object when shot close-up! Surely without the back lighting and a quick wipe with a lens cloth, all that dust would disappear.
01-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I would just chalk that up to good lighting and a nice macro lens shot - you wouldn't believe the details that come out of an object when shot close-up! Surely without the back lighting and a quick wipe with a lens cloth, all that dust would disappear.
Dust doesn't move out of existence just because of different lighting that's on the lens. It would still be there on the front element. A cloth should remove most of it, but it also looks like cleaning marks from an unprotected front element. If that's the case, that would be all the more reason to return it.

01-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Sent my DA* 50-135 to Pentax germany in September. Fault was. Bad BF and decentering.

Got it back today.

Old lens nr: 9118180
New lens: 9000683

Im kinda dissapointed to see this also:
I am sorry to see this, especially the broken part on the hood bayonet. Unfortunately that is, what you have to expect from Pentax service in Germany now, after they sourced this out to a repair company, that mainly repairs Canon. As Pentax users we are lucky if we are treated as second-class customers.

Pentax service used to be very good in the past, but they have changed that. The people in the new repair shop can be quite rude, keep losing documents you fax and generally don't care, whether a repair job is delayed for months.

That is at least my own experience with them. If Pentax is not improving here, I am willing to leave for another brand in the future.

Ben
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Why am I not surprised...Since Pentax farms out the repairs to the corner garage now, these things are going to be common.

Send it back and demand a new one or your old one back.
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I am sorry to see this, especially the broken part on the hood bayonet. Unfortunately that is, what you have to expect from Pentax service in Germany now, after they sourced this out to a repair company, that mainly repairs Canon. As Pentax users we are lucky if we are treated as second-class customers.

Pentax service used to be very good in the past, but they have changed that. The people in the new repair shop can be quite rude, keep losing documents you fax and generally don't care, whether a repair job is delayed for months.

That is at least my own experience with them. If Pentax is not improving here, I am willing to leave for another brand in the future.

Ben
Not very good news

Last edited by netuser; 01-08-2010 at 01:56 PM.
01-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a sad outcome.
Send in one lens, get a totally different one with its own defect.
Not acceptable.
01-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote

Ben
This is not only true of germany, but the U.S. as well.
01-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
PFH
Site Supporter

I really think this behavior from Pentax is unacceptable.
Fight them!
01-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
The dust is no problem. I found a few "grease" marks on the glas, from fingers. They came of.

However: There are some dust inside the lens, wich i couldnt focus on. That indicates that the lens has been repaired a taken apart at sometime.
Im kinda sad about it, and i have sent the images to the service center in sweden. I'll have to wait and see what they think.
They have been very good to me and always updated me about whats going on in Germany.
Well. The lens seems to work very well anyway! The optics are GREAT!

The original lens was bought i June 2009. Does the warranty extend now?

Last edited by the swede; 01-08-2010 at 03:25 PM.