Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #1

DA 21mm limited polarizer question

I recently got a DA 21mm limited, and was wondering about which polarizer to use on it. I would prefer to use a 43mm one in the hood (you can screw one into the hood) I was wondering wether it is possible to use a circular polarizer filter reversed?
I have a 77mm hoya cpl, and if I look at my computer screen through it with the threads facing the screen (reversed) it doesn't black out when you turn it, which it does when you hold it with the threads facing my eye.

Maybe it's better just to buy a 49mm filter and a rubber hood, although that would make the lens less "pancake" and pretty ugly.

01-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You won't be able to use the polarizer if you are going to screw it under the hood. You would need to remove the hood completely and use a 49mm one.
01-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

i found only one thin 49mm CPL - by B&W - costed USD 50
01-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lodewijk Quote
I was wondering wether it is possible to use a circular polarizer filter reversed?
No, you can't use a circular polarizing filter reversed.

Try this: stand in front of a mirror, and put a circular polarizing filter in front of one eye. Can you see the eye behind the filter? Now, flip the filter over so the other side (toward the mirror) of the filter now facing the eye. Can you see the eye?

A linear polarizing filter does not have that feature. You can reverse-mount it and it makes no difference.

In my experience, linear polarizing filters work fine with Pentax DSLRs. I don't have any problem with auto-focus and/or metering.

About your DA 21mm (and DA 40mm and DA 70mm), you can use a filter of 37mm diameter. Use a 49-37mm step-down adapter ring to mount the filter - no vignetting.

01-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For practical reasons use a 49 mm filter which external diameter is compatible with DA21 lens hood. Hoya and B&W fits well. It is not the case for rodenstock filter.
01-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
For practical reasons use a 49 mm filter which external diameter is compatible with DA21 lens hood. Hoya and B&W fits well. It is not the case for rodenstock filter.
i use it currently without the hood. as far as I know hoya has only ordinary filter not the thin one
01-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips, I think I'll just buy a 49mm polarizer then, or look for a linear 43 mm one.