Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Can someone identify this Vivitar 135 f2.8?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just won this auction and the seller says the serial number is 69958 and it has 15 blades. I searched around and couldn't find any information on the manufacturer that starts with 69 (Vivitar Lens Manufactuers)

Besides, 15 blades seems odd to me but anyways I just took a chance and hopefully I can get a nice surprise...

link to the item on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320469712436&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks,

Duc

Last edited by ducdao; 01-08-2010 at 08:07 PM.
01-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey Duc,

I don't know about that one, but I used to have a 135mm F/3.5 preset Vivitar with 12 blades. The bokeh was nice but the lens was single-coated and thus flare-prone, and contrast was weak.

You're from Saigon! I was a chemical engineering major at Đại Học Kỹ Thuật Phú Thọ way back when....
01-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Hey Duc,

I don't know about that one, but I used to have a 135mm F/3.5 preset Vivitar with 12 blades. The bokeh was nice but the lens was single-coated and thus flare-prone, and contrast was weak.

You're from Saigon! I was a chemical engineering major at Đại Học Kỹ Thuật Phú Thọ way back when....

Thanks for the info, SOldBear. I'm actually from Canada but went back to Saigon 5 years ago to open my own company providing digital marketing services. Have you returned to Vietnam since then?
01-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your lens probably predates the serial number/manufacturer scheme, though there is an outside chance that it was made in 1969 by Olympus. For $27 USD, you probably can't complain though! Remember to post a short review with pictures of and by the lens once it arrives.

Steve

01-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your lens probably predates the serial number/manufacturer scheme, though there is an outside chance that it was made in 1969 by Olympus. For $27 USD, you probably can't complain though! Remember to post a short review with pictures of and by the lens once it arrives.

Steve
Yah, can't really go wrong with $27

Just found a link on another forum and the photos of the lens posted look very similar to the one posted by my seller, except it's a T-mount not M42 mount

Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Preset T-mount lens - Steve's Digicams Forums
01-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Just found a link on another forum and the photos of the lens posted look very similar to the one posted by my seller, except it's a T-mount not M42 mount
I bet yours is a T-mount as well, but with a T-to-M42 adapter.

Mine is also a T-mount. You can see the chrome-colored adapter between the lens and the camera body.

I'm been back to VN a few times for visit (still have a brother and 2 sisters there). Next trip may be in the fall.
01-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I just won this auction and the seller says the serial number is 69958 and it has 15 blades. I searched around and couldn't find any information on the manufacturer that starts with 69 (Vivitar Lens Manufactuers)
Well, doesn't that link says that 6 = Olympus? It's up to two numbers that you need to determine the manufacturer, but for Olympus, just the first one is enough, same as for Cosina.

QuoteQuote:
The 1st TWO digits generally indicate lens manufacturer, except serial numbers starting with 6 or 9, which are single digit lens maker codes

Last edited by Laurentiu Cristofor; 01-09-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added quote from link
01-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Well, doesn't that link says that 6 = Olympus? It's up to two numbers that you need to determine the manufacturer, but for Olympus, just the first one is enough, same as for Cosina.
Ahhh you're right! I was only looking at the first two digits. So I guess this one was made by Olympus in either 1979 or 1969.

Thanks!
01-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #9
Forum Member

During the 1970s, Vivitar marketed a 135 f2.8 Close Focus 1:2 lens that was made by Panagor I believe (Close Focus was Vivitar's way of signifying focus closer than usual but not macro). I don't know anything more about the lens except that it produced excellent quality results. I don't know whether this is related to the lens referred to.
01-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #10

That vivitar lens is a T mount. Perhaps was made by Tokina. I have the 1,8/85 in this version of vivitar. Very good lens.

Rino.
01-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brownargus Quote
During the 1970s, Vivitar marketed a 135 f2.8 Close Focus 1:2 lens that was made by Panagor I believe (Close Focus was Vivitar's way of signifying focus closer than usual but not macro). I don't know anything more about the lens except that it produced excellent quality results. I don't know whether this is related to the lens referred to.
The Vivitar 135mm F/2.8 close-focusing is actually made by Komine (SN 28xxxx). It is not related to the lens referred to by the OP.

Note: for the hood, I use a 62-49mm step-down adapter, and then a 49mm Pentax hood.