Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Yet another gripe about DA* 16-50mm f2.8

I got a used copy from a local buyer a few months ago, it was barely a month-old, a replacement directly by Pentax for a bad copy he had and I have the original paperwork to prove it.

Now, this lens is just awesome in sharpness even wide open. However, about half of the times the SDM doesn't work. If I remove the lens, clean the contacts and remount, it usually works. Some times just removing and remounting works also. Its not the camera because I've since sold the camera to another forum member and apparently another 16-50mm f2.8 SDM has worked well on it so far.

When the SDM on my lens didn't work, I resorted to MF and ended up with a good bunch of keepers. However, I didn't pay the big bucks for a sharp, weather-resistant MANUAL LENS so I am a bit puzzled about what I should do, if anything. I could contact Pentax and request a replacement, but no guarantee if I'll get one, or even end up with such a sharp copy wide open even if the SDM works just fine. Or worse, the replacement could be soft wide open and still have SDM issues.

Any advice? This is my only SDM and it has dampened my enthusiasm to go after the 50-135.

01-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ask for a repair, not a replacement.
01-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh dear... another unhappy SDM camper - and justifiably so.
It's not a new phenomenon, I'm not sure if the lens is faulty or if the SDM is on its way out, but you're right in not wanting to pay a premium for an optically excellent MF lens.
If you're sure the SDM is at fault here and tthere is an agreement you have with Pentax to get the lens repaired under warranty, I'd take up the opportunity.
01-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SDM lenses problem...

do people actually touch the electrical connecters on their lenses? I've personally own 4 DA* lenses, have never had any such problems... I switch them around when I go out shoot every couple of days, and sometimes switch them when I shoot... I don't see any problems whatsoever.
unless the lenses are defect from the factory, there shouldn't be any problems unless there are caused by handling, it just what I think...

01-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
do people actually touch the electrical connecters on their lenses? I've personally own 4 DA* lenses, have never had any such problems... I switch them around when I go out shoot every couple of days, and sometimes switch them when I shoot... I don't see any problems whatsoever.
unless the lenses are defect from the factory, there shouldn't be any problems unless there are caused by handling, it just what I think...
You're kidding right? So the only way mechanical devices have problems are from factory defects or mishandling? So I guess you have never had a problem with a car, an appliance, computer, or any other device that wasn't from you mishandling it, or a manufacturing defect? Consider yourself lucky.

Sorry about the problem Esbee. Someone took advantage of you. Is there any way you can get a refund from the person who sold it to you? If not, find out if Pentax warranties are transferable. If so you should be able to have Pentax fix it for free if you have the paperwork. If not, I wonder if the person who sold it to you would still have the receipt of their original purchase and send it in for the warranty.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 01-08-2010 at 11:06 PM.